Thread: Nascar on dirt

Default Nascar on dirt

All in all it was a good race. Couple of drivers suffered bad luck or the results might have been different. That's the way it goes though in racing, and congrats to the 22. Obviously teams will have a lot more understanding about this race next year. Nice change of pace

Yep, not bad at all! They did a good job all week. Still need a few tweaks but overall a pretty good job!

Musta been successful if theyve already committed to next year!

It was good to see Ricky Stenhouse Jr get P-2. Over all good to see and it gets people talking and that can be a good thing.

The 99 too. Also Newman did a good job.

No way of knowing how the race was going to turn out but there was no doubt that Larson was going to the front. Bell screwed up and ruined both he and Larson's day. It happens but it's way out of character for C Bell.

I realize that a long race on dirt featuring heavy, full bodied stock cars are not conducive to a deep cushion but a racetrack with two relatively equal grooves would have been much more entertaining.

I also believe a dirt race for the Cup cars would be much more entertaining at a place like Du Quoin under the lights. I know that isn't going to happen but it's unfortunate that it won't. We've watched many ARCA stock car races at night on the Du Quoin Mile and the track would be more competitive and entertaining with MUCH less dust.

Hope they decide to run it under the lights next year. The drivers that have run dirt in the past did not fair well, kept crashing into each other. Oh well, maybe the pavement guys are the better drivers.

Bell and Larson are racers in the purest form. Had the event not been another of the GIMMICK races that NASCAR is trying as a way to bail them out with I'm confident that the outcome would've been different.

Quote Originally Posted by STRONGERTHANDIRT View Post
    Hope they decide to run it under the lights next year. The drivers that have run dirt in the past did not fair well, kept crashing into each other. Oh well, maybe the pavement guys are the better drivers.
    Bell & Larson were the biggest casualties of crashes. What Bell did was totally out of character for him and of course Larson was the innocent recipient of Bell's blunder. Larson started all the way in the back and was running top 5 and was the fastest car on the track by lap 50. Passing that many cars on that track in just 50 laps is impressive. Golobic and Windom were victims not of their own doing, as well. Shane Golobic got caught up in someone else's blunder and Chris Windom's engine went south. Windom ran very good at both Springfield & Du Quoin in an ARCA car a few years ago so he knows how to get it done if the car will run.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Bell & Larson were the biggest casualties of crashes. What Bell did was totally out of character for him and of course Larson was the innocent recipient of Bell's blunder. Larson started all the way in the back and was running top 5 and was the fastest car on the track by lap 50. Passing that many cars on that track in just 50 laps is impressive. Golobic and Windom were victims not of their own doing, as well. Shane Golobic got caught up in someone else's blunder and Chris Windom's engine went south. Windom ran very good at both Springfield & Du Quoin in an ARCA car a few years ago so he knows how to get it done if the car will run.
    I couldn't agree more with everything you said here. good post CIRF

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    I couldn't agree more with everything you said here. good post CIRF
    I whole heartily agree. A very good post INDEED ! !

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Shane Golobic
    CIRF, I didn’t know if you knew this about Shane or not?

What can I say about Shane Golobic? I have known the Golobic family and Shane for over 15 years and have had the pleasure of being able to work with Shane through just about every aspect of his racing career from the time he was 8 years old. We took Shane to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and cleaned house in Quarter midgets, to being a part of his fist sprint car win in Lawrenceburg, IN at 15, to having Shane drive for our newly formed National Midget Team at the Chili Bowl and finishing on the podium on his preliminary night and making the Chili Bowl "A" main. As great of a time and the success we have had racing together over the last 15 years the thing that I appreciate most is the great young man he has grown up to be. I am so proud to be a small part of his life! And oh yea he is one hell of a race car driver !!

~ Tim Clauson

Lurker, I was aware that Shane drove midgets for Tim & Diana Clauson but I had no idea that they had been with Shane from such an early age. Not surprising, however.

I had the pleasure and honor to have stayed at the same bed & breakfast where Tim and Bryan Clauson stayed at Belleville, Kansas for the Nationals the year prior to Bryans death. Ate breakfast with Tim all 4 mornings we were in Belleville. I am nothing more than a proud bleacher jockey but Tim Clauson treated me and all of our group of 3 as if we were an integral part of his racing team. When Nationals weekend was over we all felt as if we'd been friends with Tim from childhood. That weekend is, and always will be, one of my dearest memories of our racing exploits.

We ran into Tim while watching hot laps on the infield rooftop at the Four Crown Nationals at Eldora. It had been just over 3 years since we'd hung out with Tim at Belleville and he called me by name and said he really enjoyed our conversations at Belleville. My wife was quite impressed with that! LOLOL!

Thanks a ton for posting that paragraph written by Tim. Brought back some special memories!