Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The taz

Easiest 21K i've ever seen someone make. Boring as hell!

It was good when John Thompson owned it I never missed a big race not been as good since he sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    It was good when John Thompson owned it I never missed a big race not been as good since he sold it.
    John and Lori were really good people. But the racing wasn’t much different then than it is now. Tazewell’s reputation was built on that one wild Hav-a-Tampa race back in the mid 90’s. There hasn’t been anything close to that since. It’s just too fast to produce good racing. It’s all about horsepower, qualifying and starting position. At least that’s how it goes with the big shows. I don’t have any idea what the weekly shows are like. We’ll still make our annual visit there though, just as I have for about 30 years now. There are much worse places to catch a race.

The problem with races that are broadcasted, are they never actually show the racing back in the pack, which was pretty good. I mean Owens came from 20th to 6th. I'm not saying it was the best race in the world but it was much better than what the broadcast showed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells Racing Photos View Post
    The problem with races that are broadcasted, are they never actually show the racing back in the pack, which was pretty good. I mean Owens came from 20th to 6th. I'm not saying it was the best race in the world but it was much better than what the broadcast showed.
    I think about 9 or 10 finished?
    It was pretty typical Tazewell to me. It's wide enough for 7 cars, but it races narrow.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

They need to let the top slick off and put more bite in the bottom of the track. But they never do that. If they would disk and water the bottom before the features the racing would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    They need to let the top slick off and put more bite in the bottom of the track. But they never do that. If they would disk and water the bottom before the features the racing would be fine.
    When John Thompson owned they worked the bottom an the rest of the track Billy Ogle one a big race several years ago on the bottom one thing that hurts tazwell is its so fast a lot of guys won't go up there.

I've seen John get down on the track after hot laps with a screwdriver some of you may not know what this means.

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    How many times have you been there?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells Racing Photos View Post
    The broadcast was bad. It was another one of those single-camera deals. But I’ve been there many times. The hard chargers rarely pass because they’re faster than the fast cars ahead of them.