Default Basic question - Don't have a spring smasher, can I simply....

...measure how much I compress the spring (spanner wrench and a tape measure) to determine the load applied (also a little simple math involved)?

My chassis manufacturer gave me spring loads for a starting point, but I don't have a smasher. Will this simple method get me close?

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    ...measure how much I compress the spring (spanner wrench and a tape measure) to determine the load applied (also a little simple math involved)?

My chassis manufacturer gave me spring loads for a starting point, but I don't have a smasher. Will this simple method get me close?
    Yes, however if you doing loads with a bumpstop or stack it gets more difficult and hard to be accurate (least consistency wise) to get a number with math. Ride height loads are pretty easy and straight forward if you know the rate of the spring or springs

I will add to this to make sure you actually measure your springs free standing length. And not just assume it's correct. This is much better than it used to be but it's still better to be diligent

Ill also add that some spring manufactures rate the springs from free lenght and others from a slight load like 1/4" or so.
    Check with them to be sure and add consistency.

Great info guys I appreciate it. I measured my springs myself length and rating, so I don't have to trust the mfg. And only one is a true stacked setup, so I'll read up on the calculation to make sure I'm doing that one correctly.

Thanks again all.

Basic calculation Load = (Free standing height of spring - Compressed height of spring) x Spring Rate. Example you have a 12' spring and on the car it measures 10.5" in height and the spring rate is 200 lbs/in, Load= (12-10.5) x 200. Load = (1.5) x 200. Load = 300 lbs. You can do this for a stack as well, Im typically in the 20lbs error band for that. If you want info on that send me a PM. I have a spreadsheet for both which is pretty simple to use.