Default Restrictor plates

Is there a ratio of how much gear you add to how much you restrict the motor haven’t played with them much

I would say NO to the question in a general sense. If you do/have to put a restrictor on, (depending on how small it is) it can/will cut off air to the engine at high rpm and likely require you to run less gear due to the engine can't reach max RPM. But this is going to be highly dependent on whether you putting a small restriction on the engine or being mandated to put a large restriction on the engine.

It could go both ways just depends on the engine and at what RPM you need the power more as to which way or if any change is needed.

If you talking adding a restrictor (your choice) to kill some power out of the engine to make it more drivable in the slick, typically I don't see many change gear on full blow LM open engines

Yes talking full blown open lm

Related question, running a very small hole(.950) restrictor plate mandated by rules on a large cubic inch motor for the first time. Should I change to a smaller carb to hope for better throttle response or leave the big carb on to let as much air in as possible and let the plate be the only restriction? would track size matter? 1/2 mile first night, 1/4 mile next

I have never run a plate , but would think the smaller carb would be better on the 1/4 mile track either way