Thread: Bristol

Default Bristol

I read an article about the possibility of putting a roof over Bristol any thoughts
    My thoughts are that would be ridiculous

It could easily be done just like the Rome, or like any of the Domes of the 1960's and on like the Astrodome, Alamodome, Metrodome, ect.

I’d imagine the evacuation of fumes would be an issue.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I've heard there are structural defects at Bristol. Putting more weight on it will take some big dollars...

Here is a portion of the Bristol dome article that appeared on Jayski. This was an update to the first article. They'd have to get creative to recoup that $80 million investment. I do remember that when they hosted that college football game in 2016 and it said nearly 157,000 people attended.

UPDATE: The idea is feasible, it’s a matter of finances. One sports stadium architect expert estimates such a project at Bristol would cost at least $80 million.

Benjamin Flowers, a professor of Ohio State University’s Knowlton School of Architecture, said the key for any track would be a cover that does not fully enclose the stadium. By not having an enclosed roof, there will be places for exhaust emissions and sound to escape and fresh air to circulate.

Flowers notes that the “operating expenses of this novel approach (of covering a track) are unknown. That is, historically, you don’t want to be the first to try something this high-risk. You want to know what the business model is.”

Another benefit of a cover — even if it does not enclose the facility as a roof would — is that it could allow the track and NASCAR to do some creative scheduling.

— NBC Sports —

Or they could just move their races out of March/April lol
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    NASCAR has struggled with their schedule for years.Example: Rockingham in late February and then again in early November for many years. Aluminum bleachers get cold that time of the year.

I get very sad these days when rockingham comes up......a lot of cold fried chicken eaten in turn 2 bleachers as a kid with my Dad.
    Wouldn't be a stretch to say it's my favorite NASCAR track of all time barely nudging out Darlington.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

It is always nice to see the Sky while at the races. A roof would just make the track too confining in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    Bristol never had a rain out until a few years ago. Now it seems like every race they run, spring and fall, are hampered by weather.

Quote Originally Posted by MRM View Post
    Bristol never had a rain out until a few years ago. Now it seems like every race they run, spring and fall, are hampered by weather.
    I've been snowed on and seen 19 degree temps there in the campground years ago when they used to run cup race in March.
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels