Thread: DIRT Magazine

Default DIRT Magazine

Not sure if anyone has posted this but the old Dirt magazine has sent our remaining subscription length over to Speedway Illustrated. I got my first issue yesterday.

Great news. Speedway Illustrated is a first rate magazine. Very informative articles.

Speedway Illustrated is a classy mag. They also picked up the subscribers for free when National Speed Sport went under shortly after Chris Economaki passed away several years ago. I've subscribed to them since their day one and it's, almost without question, the best racing magazine ever.

Can't even count the number of racing publications, both magazines and papers, that have folded during my subscriptions to them. Not a one ever sent a notice or even a "sorry folks but we're gone."

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by thexfactor0210 View Post
    Not sure if anyone has posted this but the old Dirt magazine has sent our remaining subscription length over to Speedway Illustrated. I got my first issue yesterday.
    Yep, got mine yesterday as well. Lost track of how many mags & papers have come and gone over the years. Anybody know what happened this time? Seemed like the format changed sometime last year and then it seems like a gap in coverage recently. I actually had overlooked it not coming, but I get a few different ones. Way back when I was in high school(84'-88')and first getting involved in racing the only mags that gave any coverage I knew of was, "Stock Car Racing" and "Circle Track". Then if you wanted more specific results/schedule you got a subscription to, "The Racing News" and then later "National Dirt Digest" and/or "Area Auto". The first dirt racing specific magazine I first got was, "Short Track Racing" in the 90's. STR had management issues, but did great articles. Back then, in high school it'd be 2 or 3 weeks before I found out who won the World 100, waiting on the next publication to come out. I lived in Georgia and at that time didn't know anyone who went or was competing in it then. I sometimes think it was better having that delay in the flow of info as compared to today where its instant from multiple sources.

I've seen recently where many drivers are dropping off national tours, I think that's good. Tracks use to have independent events and part of the thrill was the surprise of who was coming through the gate. No websites with driver schedules, no list of tour regulars, just gunslingers trying to make a buck. Tours are cool I suppose and its neat to see the top dogs face each other and hone their skills, but that also contributes to rising costs and thinning of competition, fewer over all competitors. I'm rambling, hope Speedway Illustrated keeps it going.

I haven’t had my subscription sent over or anything yet but shortly plan to subscribe to speedway illustrated. It’s the only one that’s been around long enough to trust. With 11 months remaining with dirt monthly, and watching them bs and play games for months. I don’t plan on donating to another start up magazine company to pay for someone I don’t knows groceries or vacations.

Quote Originally Posted by thexfactor0210 View Post
    Are you talking about the original Three Wide Media publications?
    https://www.stlracing.com/community/...e-media.85527/

Did anyone else on here get the first published issue of Dirt Empire magazine ? I found the article on Rumley to be quite good and I liked the view of the underside of the front of the Longhorn chassis.

Still waiting on my first issue....the mail delivery in the Philadelphia suburbs where I live is a mess...hope to get it soon. Sounds like it will be a good publication.

Quote Originally Posted by lurker View Post
    Are you talking about the original Three Wide Media publications?
    https://www.stlracing.com/community/...e-media.85527/
    Yes I am referring to that.

I finally received my 11 months of speedway illustrated to make up for dirt monthly. It’s nothing like a magazine front to back about late models ( dirt late model magazine ) or even about only dirt cars ( dirt monthly ) but it’s better then nothing. Thumbs up to them taking over the many subscriptions that were left behind thanks to dirt monthly. I’ve already subscribed for another year after just receiving the Overton issue.

I just received my second issue of Dirt Empire magazine on Monday. The Dirt Empire mag is quite different from other racing mags. They have a lot of pictures . The interviews are quite good. They appear to have first rate journalist. The texture of the mag is quite different from glossy mags. I am learning to like the mag for what it is. Now I have to sit down and read the Tyler Erb interview.

I like it, for real. I never heard about this periodical before, as a rule I check Crooks and Liars or at least their customer support https://www.pissedconsumer.com/compa...r-service.html . Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by samgood; 04-16-2022 at 10:51 AM.

The last issue had really great articles on Ryan Gustin and Tyler Carpenter. Tyler sounds like a real true racer. Great reading.