Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Supers vs crates

I have thought for a while if u run crates same place as supers your gonna lose your car count in supers when they see how much cheaper it is have often wondered if this is why farmer city can’t draw supers or is it just cause it’s Friday, any thoughts?

I have seen both on the same night at Cherokee but still love the Supers 👍

I think the biggest problem with farmer city is that it only pays 1000 to win. You bump that up bet more of them late models come out to race.

Crates almost always win the Talledega Ice Bowl. Depends on track conditions.

Counts are down at FC cuz it's still April.

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    Crates almost always win the Talledega Ice Bowl. Depends on track conditions.
    When a crate beats a super, that's a track that's not prepped to my liking therefor I would not be spending my money there. If you like synchronized skating on dirt, maybe that's for you. I like to see all the ponies unleashed. Hammer down baby!!!😎

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    When a crate beats a super, that's a track that's not prepped to my liking therefor I would not be spending my money there. If you like synchronized skating on dirt, maybe that's for you. I like to see all the ponies unleashed. Hammer down baby!!!
    Absolutely. The way Atomic was Thursday.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

I’d never seen a “crate” before I moved to South Georgia in 2014. I thought it was a neat little subclass at first. Then I quickly realized that class was replacing Supers down here. Since then, we’ve attended fewer and fewer races in this state — other than GIS in February. We’ll always attend that one. We are SLM fans.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Absolutely. The way Atomic was Thursday.
    That's a track that has been on my radar for awhile. After finally seeing a race there, it's probably #1 on my bucket list.

Other than motor how much "cheaper" is competitive crate racing than regular open motor?
    2021 race count
    6 events

Why do people think crate racing is cheaper ? You call rocket or longhorn and ask that question they will laugh. That crate POS costs the same as every slm out there for a roller. Now we're going to talk motors, the fast crate guys with the stackers and 2 cars, probably bought more than 1 motor sometimes 3 just so they can get them on a dyno to see which one pulls harder. Then they have the licensed, what a joke that is, engine builder blueprint the motor so they can get a few hundred more rpm's out of it. Most wind them so tight you lose spring pressure on a given cylinder then guess what ? Back to that licensed motor builder. Cha ching. They race for pennies on the dollar, 1000 to win is a big deal. There entry fee's at a extra paying show is higher. So you finish mid pack in a crate race you get what 50.00. Crate racing puts a ton of cash into the pockets of the 2 series that run the late models. One found out how the other was doing it and has gone crates for every class out there. Promotors are to stupid to get together and come up with a good 358 motor program so guys could build there own stuff. Rant over. Let's go 4 cylinder racin, but you need to know what the difference is between a socket and a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Why do people think crate racing is cheaper ? You call rocket or longhorn and ask that question they will laugh. That crate POS costs the same as every slm out there for a roller. Now we're going to talk motors, the fast crate guys with the stackers and 2 cars, probably bought more than 1 motor sometimes 3 just so they can get them on a dyno to see which one pulls harder. Then they have the licensed, what a joke that is, engine builder blueprint the motor so they can get a few hundred more rpm's out of it. Most wind them so tight you lose spring pressure on a given cylinder then guess what ? Back to that licensed motor builder. Cha ching. They race for pennies on the dollar, 1000 to win is a big deal. There entry fee's at a extra paying show is higher. So you finish mid pack in a crate race you get what 50.00. Crate racing puts a ton of cash into the pockets of the 2 series that run the late models. One found out how the other was doing it and has gone crates for every class out there. Promotors are to stupid to get together and come up with a good 358 motor program so guys could build there own stuff. Rant over. Let's go 4 cylinder racin, but you need to know what the difference is between a socket and a hammer.
    Lol, good rant though. I don’t believe they are much cheaper. You are accurate on the motor deal, and there’s the specialized low mass everything.

Solution maybe an LS based engine spec, that doesn’t have to be from a licensed guy, but you tech it extremely well.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

For the average guy, it's way cheaper to run a crate. Now obviously not every local has a 15K rebuild engine but if the track takes any power at all, your not paying an engine guy to go thru one for less then 8K

An open engine costs you 10.00 to 15.00 a lap on engine costs. So for a weekly racer running 40 laps a night (say 5 hot laps, 10 lap heat race and 25 lap feature) that's 400.00 every night just on the engine rebuild if you don't break it. Crate 6500.00 total purchase cost and guys get several seasons out of them and if you have it freshened it's 3200.00. So even if you only get 32 races out of it, that's 100.00 a night.

Ask a bunch of Super racers that got out of racing, what the number one cost or reason they finally got out. Most of the time, they will say the engine costs.

And as far as the high dollar light weight parts on a crate, that's perception. There are plenty of crates that run STD rear ends, transmissions, from GM crates and every other part the same as a super would have that win on a regular basis or even dominate.

I will agree there are too many late model classes though, I've been to a lot of tracks that have least 3 classes (crate, limited or steel block and then super), there like 10 to 18 at best in each class.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Why do people think crate racing is cheaper ?
    I was asking a question sarcastically that I for the most part already knew the answer to...
    2021 race count
    6 events

You may not like it but crate racing is much cheaper; and in the south you can race for more than $1,000.00 without traveling too far. I prefer Super's myself, however there is a place for crate racing. I agree that there are way to many classes of late models run together, however to say you have to spend a ton to be competitive in crates is a cop out excuse for people who are not winning (not that there is not some cheating or expense spent). When you run the bigger crate shows most guys that have a chance to win are not going to run cheated up stuff.

Yea that atomic driving exhibition on Thursday was a great driving exhibition. It certainly wasn’t a race. Gotta love seeing those ponies get unleashed and watching guys drive around the fence and not passing anyone or seeing half baked slide jobs. Might as well watch a nascar race at talladega.

Every track should focus on trying to replicate the north south 100 in 2019.

And the debate goes on

Billet, with your numbers, which I think are low. I guarantee you I could put a 358 together to run all year. Imagine that, getting grease and dirt under your fingernails.

Maybe Chuck Hummer will try to prove us all wrong again...
    2021 race count
    6 events

Funny thing is that there is a section just for crate lates on 4m. The page is as quiet as a cemetery. That's why a certain few come to the super late section to post.