Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 48 Indy car

Default 48 Indy car

2 races into the Indy car series this year and Jimmy Johnson ain’t lookin too hot. Finishing in the 20’s both times. Will he improve?

Magic 8 ball says.......yes.

He wins the Indy 500.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post

He wins the Indy 500.
    BBQ, he's not slated to run the 500 this year and it's been speculated that his wife is flat forbidding him to run an Indy Car on ovals. I really hope your right about him running the 500, he would garner significant attention from a lot of people who don't normally pay all that much attention to the Month of May at Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post

He wins the Indy 500.
    Okay, I've got some words to eat. I just read that Jimmie is keeping the door open for a 2022 qualifying attempt. Gulp!

JJ is making in seem like the potent Indy cars are proven to be a lot harder to master than the common taxi cab type 0f car ?

Two words on JJ’s career Chad Knaus. Also props to Rick Johnson for elevating JJ’s career to the higher levels.

Well, I reckon the same statements can be made regarding Dale Inman (who is the best of them all) and Maurice Petty in regards to the heyday's of the 43 car. Ray Evernham and Jeff Gordon.

Ol' arnhead and Childress didn't need a great crew chief, they had Billy France Jr. pulling strings for them.

Everybody who's been highly successful in NASCAR has had someone who helped make things happen. The bottom line is The King had to drive the car when it counted, as did Gordo & JJ.

3 guys that come to mind that didn't have that one single significant person involved throughout their successes are David Pearson in NASCAR and Mario & A.J. in all kinds of different racing persuasions.

A lot of drivers have won with different crew chiefs. Kyle Busch for one. Dale Earnhardt is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    A lot of drivers have won with different crew chiefs. Kyle Busch for one. Dale Earnhardt is another.
    Pee wee Jr. has really only won 1 Cup championship (the first was a sham/fraud) so it's really hard to win championships with more than one crew chief when he's only really won one. Pee wee jr. couldn't carry Jimmies sweaty, stinky nomex underwear!

And I'll repeat, arnhead didn't need a stellar crew chief, he and Childress had Billy France Jr. in his pocket. Been proven and documented many times.

From what I've seen, I have strong doubts that Jimmie will actually succeed at IndyCar. Hell, I find it hard to tell what his goals actually are in running a part-time schedule aside from taking part in a series he enjoyed watching in the past. Even if he's serious, it's so rare for NASCAR drivers to succeed in both Cup racing and open-wheel IndyCar racing, they're just so different. I feel anybody expecting him to suddenly reign in the crazy controls of an IndyCar in a single season will be sorely disappointed. Hopefully he shows a better performance than at St Petersburg when they head to the Indy road course. If not, I wouldn't even trust him to keep things safe come the Belle Isle Street Circuit, just not enough room for error on those courses.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Pee wee Jr. has really only won 1 Cup championship (the first was a sham/fraud) so it's really hard to win championships with more than one crew chief when he's only really won one. Pee wee jr. couldn't carry Jimmies sweaty, stinky nomex underwear!And I'll repeat, arnhead didn't need a stellar crew chief, he and Childress had Billy France Jr. in his pocket. Been proven and documented many times.
    You losing serious cred with stupid posts like this

That areo screen on these cars is just god awful ugly IMO. I get the safety aspect of them but they could have went with the Halo's that F1 uses. I've at least been able to get used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    You losing serious cred with stupid posts like this
    Please point out what is non-factual and prove it.

My statements are verifiably provable.

Case in point, some of the criteria needed for Cup championship eligibility had to be omitted/disregarded in order for pee wee jr. to be eligible to be given the Cup championship after not competing in 1/3 of the points races.

And, it's a provable fact that arnhead would regularly fly to Daytona in his private jet and treat Billy France Jr. to fishing excursions to the Bahama's on arnhead's yacht, among other things. Rules were overlooked and disregarded many times to favor the #3 team. I can recite chapter & verse of several provable instances from memory.

Put up or shut up flyopenboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris125 View Post
    From what I've seen, I have strong doubts that Jimmie will actually succeed at IndyCar. Hell, I find it hard to tell what his goals actually are in running a part-time schedule aside from taking part in a series he enjoyed watching in the past. Even if he's serious, it's so rare for NASCAR drivers to succeed in both Cup racing and open-wheel IndyCar racing, they're just so different. I feel anybody expecting him to suddenly reign in the crazy controls of an IndyCar in a single season will be sorely disappointed. Hopefully he shows a better performance than at St Petersburg when they head to the Indy road course. If not, I wouldn't even trust him to keep things safe come the Belle Isle Street Circuit, just not enough room for error on those courses.
    Send a letter of no confidence to the competition director at Indy Car and suggest Jimmie not be allowed to race at Belle Isle!. I'm sure Indy Car will take it into serious consideration! LOL!

Jimmie is already regarded as one of the 2 or 3 best that ever competed in NASCAR's Cup division. It's obvious he's doing the Indy Car thing as a bucket list deal.

Guys like A.J., Mario and Larson, who can division hop from one genre of racecar to another and win immediately, are extremely rare.

Jimmie has absolutely nothing to prove at this point and enjoying what he's doing seems to be a top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman85 View Post
    That areo screen on these cars is just god awful ugly IMO. I get the safety aspect of them but they could have went with the Halo's that F1 uses. I've at least been able to get used to them.
    They are pretty fugly race cars

Please point out what is non-factual and prove it.My statements are verifiably provable.Case in point, some of the criteria needed for Cup championship eligibility had to be omitted/disregarded in order for pee wee jr. to be eligible to be given the Cup championship after not competing in 1/3 of the points races.And, it's a provable fact that arnhead would regularly fly to Daytona in his private jet and treat Billy France Jr. to fishing excursions to the Bahama's on arnhead's yacht, among other things. Rules were overlooked and disregarded many times to favor the #3 team. I can recite chapter & verse of several provable instances from memory.Put up or shut up flyopenboy.
    JJ won his titles using same point system Kyle did. You conveniently left that one out. Yes I don’t like the playoff format either.

Send a letter of no confidence to the competition director at Indy Car and suggest Jimmie not be allowed to race at Belle Isle!. I'm sure Indy Car will take it into serious consideration! LOL!

Jimmie is already regarded as one of the 2 or 3 best that ever competed in NASCAR's Cup division. It's obvious he's doing the Indy Car thing as a bucket list deal.

Guys like A.J., Mario and Larson, who can division hop from one genre of racecar to another and win immediately, are extremely rare.

Jimmie has absolutely nothing to prove at this point and enjoying what he's doing seems to be a top priority.
    Very Well Said!!

Somebody help me here because I don't feel like looking.....did Jimmy win any road course stuff in cup?

I don't remember him being awesome on anything road course related , much less anything close to the street stuff in Indy .....He may never crack a top 10 in Indy car or he could win the freaking Indy 500, anyone that doubts he doesn't have the driving ability to do it is just plain foolish.

I can't ever figure out why he doesn't get the credit he deserves?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Very well said BBQ. You inspired my curiosity so I looked to see if JJ ever won a Cup race on a road course. I found that he did not, unless in my haste I overlooked a win on a RC. That is easily possible since he has 83 Cup victories. And you are also spot on correct that Jimmie Johnson does not get the recognition and respect he deserves. He didn't wreck people or have the top man of NASCAR in his pocket like someone else did.

JJ winning the Indy 500 would be a HUGE motorsports story. He has the patience and savvy to do it, too. Since my racing opinions are worth exactly what I've been paid for them, which is zilch, take this one with a grain of salt. IMO Jimmie is the most thoughtful and calculating driver in a racecar since Mr. David Pearson and THAT is saying something.

flyopenboy, for pee wee jr. to win the Cup championship, NASCAR had to wave the rule that states for a driver to be eligible to win the Cup championship a competitor has to make an attempt to qualify for every points race on the schedule. That rule has been waved several times over the years. It was, in fact, waved for pee wee jr. but pee wee jr. is the only driver to win a Cup championship after having that rule waved for them. SO. No. Pee wee jr. did NOT win under the same circumstances and rules as Jimmie won his 7 Cups under. JJ attempted to qualify for every race during ever season that he won the Cup championship.

Please try to keep up and know what you're talking about, otherwise you look stupider than you already do.
    Last edited by CIRF; 04-28-2021 at 10:30 PM.

Who woulda won those gimmicky championships if the old point system was used? Those are the real racers!

I like JJ because he was a good clean racer, drove a Chevy, and drove for HMS.......but in a 10 lap shootout, I would take KB every time!