Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 48 Indy car

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Who woulda won those gimmicky championships if the old point system was used? Those are the real racers!

I like JJ because he was a good clean racer, drove a Chevy, and drove for HMS.......but in a 10 lap shootout, I would take KB every time!
    Just because a driver is willing to cowardly cheap shot another car then get his ass kicked in the garage area by a 60 something Richard Childress or get his face bloodied up on pit road by the likes of Joey Logano doesn't put him in the conversation for most accomplished of all time.

I would submit that pee wee jr. might beat David Pearson in a 10 lap shootout more often than not but again, pee wee jr. can't be classified in the same universe as Pearson. Same could be said for The King in comparison to the wimpy, booger eatin'/flippin' ass hat. Moral of the story? A 10 lap shootout is meaningless in the whole scheme of things.

There are people who keep track of who would have won all the championships with the non-gimmick points system. I'm not positive but I believe Jeff Gordon would have tallied up several additional Cup championships had the real, non-gimmicked points system remained in effect. Richard Petty won his 7 NASCAR championships using several different points systems but that doesn't really diminish from his status as one of the 2 or 3 best to ever race a stock car.

Johnson won one road course race and that was because the leader shut off his engine under the yellow flag. A no no. To the rear. Happened late in the race. I can't remember his name, one of the foreign drivers started with an S I think. Ran a few years, but he was a road course ace and had things in hand. The guy had several close calls but never could win one of these road races. It was not the 42 BTW this is to answer the earlier question.

Johnson is out to lunch trying to be competitive on the Indy circuit road courses. That is big ask for 45 year old to try and tackle. I do think the Indy 500 could be a race he could be competitive in. It would do wonders for the sport. I am glad he is not racing the other ovals though. Doesn't need the danger at this point. BTW Kurt Busch ran sixth the year he tried it so with Ganasi equipment Johnson could be up near the front

JJ is bringing money and fans to Indy car. That’s why he is heavily liked there. He brings coin and TV viewers.

Of course he is. That is why he should run the 500. It was also smart to have him run the road courses. Problem is with that longer term is it is going to wear off if he doesn't start being competitive. I just haven't seen anything real skill set for road racing. 45 years old is a big ask for
    anyone to try to compete in something they have never tried at a high level.

The 500? that is something he could do well

The 500 is Indy car. He isn’t fully committed unless he runs the 500.

I know he is not committed to the ovals in Indy car, which I think over all is smart. However, I think the Indy 500 will lure him. He should be a possible threat with the good equipment from Chip's stable

I did miss one Cup road course win for Jimmie. It took place at Sonoma, California in 2010. My haste once again bit me in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    Johnson won one road course race and that was because the leader shut off his engine under the yellow flag. A no no. To the rear. Happened late in the race. I can't remember his name, one of the foreign drivers started with an S I think. Ran a few years, but he was a road course ace and had things in hand. The guy had several close calls but never could win one of these road races. It was not the 42 BTW this is to answer the earlier question.

Johnson is out to lunch trying to be competitive on the Indy circuit road courses. That is big ask for 45 year old to try and tackle. I do think the Indy 500 could be a race he could be competitive in. It would do wonders for the sport. I am glad he is not racing the other ovals though. Doesn't need the danger at this point. BTW Kurt Busch ran sixth the year he tried it so with Ganasi equipment Johnson could be up near the front
    Gee, it's amazing how power boy has tamped down his hatred for Jimmie Johnson to give him a few minor backhanded kudo's. There was a day that each and every post from the power boy was a diatribe dripping with hate. He claims to have me blocked but I'd bet a couple of C-notes he reads this. LOLOL!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Send a letter of no confidence to the competition director at Indy Car and suggest Jimmie not be allowed to race at Belle Isle!. I'm sure Indy Car will take it into serious consideration! LOL!Jimmie is already regarded as one of the 2 or 3 best that ever competed in NASCAR's Cup division. It's obvious he's doing the Indy Car thing as a bucket list deal.Guys like A.J., Mario and Larson, who can division hop from one genre of racecar to another and win immediately, are extremely rare.Jimmie has absolutely nothing to prove at this point and enjoying what he's doing seems to be a top priority.
    Isn't that a bit of a problem though? IndyCar is suppose to be the pinnacle of American open-wheel racing. Throwing Johnson in there to go on joy rides during races without properly preparing them seems more like damaging to the league's reputation than help it. Formula One has some issues with picking drivers for money, but they at least don't pick people just so those people can fill a spot on their bucket list. Also, I already stated that I was mainly talking about fans of Johnson expecting him to succeed immediately in IndyCar.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Gee, it's amazing how power boy has tamped down his hatred for Jimmie Johnson to give him a few minor backhanded kudo's. There was a day that each and every post from the power boy was a diatribe dripping with hate. He claims to have me blocked but I'd bet a couple of C-notes he reads this. LOLOL!
    Thank you for having such great FACTS ! You are as straight of a shooter as anyone on here !

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris125 View Post
    Isn't that a bit of a problem though? IndyCar is suppose to be the pinnacle of American open-wheel racing. Throwing Johnson in there to go on joy rides during races without properly preparing them seems more like damaging to the league's reputation than help it.
    Are you suggesting that Indy Car refuse to allow a 7 time Cup champion, who is widely considered one of the 2 or 3 best NASCAR drivers of all time, be barred from competing in the series. Now THAT would be some big news. Not real popular but big news, nonetheless.

I thoroughly enjoy Indy Car on ovals but in my world Indy Car is NOT the pinnacle of open wheel racing in America. It can't be until they require those racing for the Indy Car championship to compete at places like Springfield, Illinois, Eldora Speedway, Knoxville, Iowa and Du Quoin, Illinois. I know that is a pipe dream but it's my pipe dream! LOL!
    Last edited by CIRF; 05-01-2021 at 09:40 AM.

Indy Car is the pinnacle of open wheel racing. Indy 500 has over 300,000 fans in attendance each year 👍.

The Indy 500 is, and always has been, the biggest racing event, and in fact, the largest one day sporting event in the world and probably always will be. That is not at issue.

The driver who wins the Indy 500 is far more identifiable than the driver who wins the overall season points championship. That too is indisputable.

My point is this: up until, and thru 1970 in order to be the "National Driving Champion" the champion had to be successful not only at places like Indy, Reading, PA, Langhorne, PA, Phoenix, AZ, Sonoma, CA, they also had to race and be competitive at places like the Sacramento Dirt Mile, The Indiana State Fairgrounds, Springfield, IL and Du Quoin, IL. After 1970 the "National Driving Champion" never had to compete on mile dirt tracks.

The guys that won their championships on dirt ovals, pavement ovals and road courses were the TRUE champions. That is my definition of the pinnacle of open wheel racing. As I said, it's never going to happen, but it should!!