Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Corner Entry Speed at Bristol

I was thinking about the speeds at Bristol and got to wondering what the corner entry speeds were this time around. I saw the sprints were average speed 138 mph at their quickest and the late models were about 10 mph off that. Does that put the corner entry around 10 mph faster than the average?

It's hard to know when the average speed is based on different numbers (.433 miles or .5 or anything else). The only way to truly know is with a radar gun. Surprised no one has done that yet.

I think the sprints ended up with 142mph average for best lap turned. I have wondered why we haven't heard top speeds as well.
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Most of the newer GoPro cameras (at least the Hero8 does) have a gps function; you just need the original file and edit it through a program such as racerender, it will map the track and give you mph....

Lancaster entering turn 3 WOO late models = 140mph

Looked at a couple of the videos online from Bristol, highest entry speed I saw (quick glance through) was 136mph from Chase Elliot. Quite sure he was not the quickest, some of it was not in synch; but usually the speed is correct (just not showing when it happened on the video).

I saw someone clocked Davenport at a little over 130 last night at WVMS. There’s a lot of talk about WVMS length but Lancaster’s straights look a mile long. Never been there only video.

WVMS is the closest to Bristol I have been on, Wythe is not far behind these two. Lancaster does have extremely long straights, but a bit tighter corners so speeds are slightly slower than the others (the view when driving does make you feel like you are running a quarter mile in each direction at Lancaster though, felt I could read a book going down them).

Kyle Larson was on radar in the Late @ 132mph, Speedeway Car Cams on YouTube has a video

Quote Originally Posted by MotoMatt View Post
    I was thinking about the speeds at Bristol and got to wondering what the corner entry speeds were this time around. I saw the sprints were average speed 138 mph at their quickest and the late models were about 10 mph off that. Does that put the corner entry around 10 mph faster than the average?
    Hafertepe was up above 142 average sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    WVMS is the closest to Bristol I have been on, Wythe is not far behind these two. Lancaster does have extremely long straights, but a bit tighter corners so speeds are slightly slower than the others (the view when driving does make you feel like you are running a quarter mile in each direction at Lancaster though, felt I could read a book going down them).
    Rumor is that 2 years ago the highest clocked speed entering turn 3 was 140mph during the Outlaw event. No idea if that is true.

There was a rumor Sammy went 185 but I don’t believe that
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Was I dreaming when I thought heard 150/160 top speeds on that old golden isles layout ?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Check out Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Was I dreaming when I thought heard 150/160 top speeds on that old golden isles layout ?
    I believe they oiled the surface, or something along the lines to achieve those speeds at GIS. I remember DoD asking some drivers about it going into speedweeks a couple of years ago.

Golden Isle was very fast back in the day, and I remember them saying over 160 (don't know if it is true). At the time, helmet would start to 'lift' at Golden Isle. Gaffney was fast as well, Brunswick had a round shape with a surface that kept you in the throttle all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    Golden Isle was very fast back in the day, and I remember them saying over 160 (don't know if it is true). At the time, helmet would start to 'lift' at Golden Isle. Gaffney was fast as well, Brunswick had a round shape with a surface that kept you in the throttle all the way around.
    Darrell lanigan radar gun 172 mph

Sprints used to get up to 170-180 at Syracuse and Springfield.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Sprints used to get up to 170-180 at Syracuse and Springfield.
    Wings or no wings ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Wings or no wings ?
    No wings, a superman cape... 😃