Default Target fixation on the track

I've noticed a lot of drivers who are following a car they are faster than copying their moves on track. Tonight at Florence, Josh Rice had the faster car but was so locked in to O'Neal that he actually made the same mistakes at the same time preventing him from passing earlier. Jumping the cushion, getting out of shape. It's an interesting psychological phenomenon.

It can be line commitment and you have no choice when the guy in front of you bobbles. Especially on the cushion. When you have momentum taking you to the berm, you can't just duck under a guy who messes up at corner center.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Same thing happened in Texas (Indy Car race)

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Same thing happened in Texas (Indy Car race)
    Did it? What are talking about exactly?

It's called free air. Today's race cars, from novice classes to formula 1 have become so aero dependent it's ridiculous. The guy following can catch the car in front. If there is no clean air to make the pass often times it gets pretty boring.

Follow the leader. No passing in Indy car race and some wrecks I believe due to fixation on the car in front. 1 lane track at Texas last night.

Follow the leader. No passing in Indy car race and some wrecks I believe due to fixation on the car in front. 1 lane track at Texas last night.
    There wasn't any incidents related to fixation. Did you watch today's race?

Did not watch the Sunday race but I read there was some passing. Better race 👍 I think Bourdais got taken out by Newgarden possibly from fixation. No JJ to be found 😜

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    It's called free air. Today's race cars, from novice classes to formula 1 have become so aero dependent it's ridiculous. The guy following can catch the car in front. If there is no clean air to make the pass often times it gets pretty boring.
    So true, you get 'stalled out' as you approach the car in front of you. Same discussion as ever, get rid of as much 'aero' as you can and have better racing....

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    So true, you get 'stalled out' as you approach the car in front of you. Same discussion as ever, get rid of as much 'aero' as you can and have better racing....
    The spoiler NASCAR uses at some tracks is basically a sheet of plywood. I say go with two inch spoilers and let the drivers sort out the rest

The spoiler NASCAR uses at some tracks is basically a sheet of plywood. I say go with two inch spoilers and let the drivers sort out the rest
    And crank the power back up

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    And crank the power back up
    A hell yeah on this 👍

Default Florence Speedway

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    I've noticed a lot of drivers who are following a car they are faster than copying their moves on track. Tonight at Florence, Josh Rice had the faster car but was so locked in to O'Neal that he actually made the same mistakes at the same time preventing him from passing earlier. Jumping the cush ion, getting out of shape. It's an interesting psychological phenomenon.
    ..... The Tracks up North race too early & are usually become a corn field this early in the year .... Florence only had one place to run in 3/4 .... Too me the only thing that made it a good race was seeing a local beat up on the series regulars .... Should be alittle different at the North vs South ...
    Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream

When the 2nd place car is that close to the car in front on the cushion, 2nd place needs to be more bent or sideways to compensate for the lack of front downforce (dirty air). When the leader pushes or jumps the cushion, 2nd place can rarely adjust in time to complete a pass.

Rice did a good job of attempting a pass each time he had an opportunity in my opinion. His turn 1 sliders were iffy most of the race but he got better and almost made them stick by the end, then it was just good driving in traffic to sneak by Huddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    ..... The Tracks up North race too early & are usually become a corn field this early in the year .... Florence only had one place to run in 3/4 .... Too me the only thing that made it a good race was seeing a local beat up on the series regulars .... Should be alittle different at the North vs South ...
    I agree. Rice was way faster but was never going to take the lead without the slight assist from EPJ.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I agree. Rice was way faster but was never going to take the lead without the slight assist from EPJ.
    It's nice to see EPJ still contributing.