Default Another of the Greats Passes

Bobby Unser has died at 87. Three time Indy 500 winner, IROC champ, many times Pikes Peak winner and a fine broadcaster in his later years was one of the greats of the earlier days of racing. He had a pretty interesting life and was quite the character as well as a tough guy to beat. Condolences to the Unser family and friends.

RIP. What a great racer.

Sorry to hear that. A true Champion

We have spoken with Mr. Unser a few times in Tulsa at The Chili Bowl. He came to Tulsa every year for 6 or 7 years in a row. Early in the evening during the Saturday night proceedings Mr. Unser and his entourage would set at the picnic tables directly behind the main straightaway grandstands and have a couple of beers while the lower alphabet soup was going at it on the track. He was very accessible and friendly. The younger fans didn't know who he was. These days if it didn't happen during their lifetime it's immaterial.

I never had the honor of seeing Mr. Unser race at Indy, or anywhere else for that matter. His driving days were before my time but I've read plenty about him and he was a tough customer on the racetrack, for sure.

RIP Mr. Unser.

His tv work for the 500 and the old bubble day coverage was great....the voice was one of certainty and experience that just made everything feel right.

R.I.P Mr.Unser
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????