Thread: Nose Piece

Default Nose Piece

With the extremely high cost md3 is asking has anyone though about or even gone ahead and made the jump to dominators New nose designed to rival the EVOLUTION 2, Seeing ass its almost $200 cheaper it leaves me weighing my options.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgy9991 View Post
    With the extremely high cost md3 is asking has anyone though about or even gone ahead and made the jump to dominators New nose designed to rival the EVOLUTION 2, Seeing ass its almost $200 cheaper it leaves me weighing my options.
    For the $200 difference I definitely give it a shot.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Five star is bad for the sport. roofs used to be 40$, now they are 400$. Same with hoods... same with noses... same with side skirts... they have new filler pannels..... heard they are coming out with composite doors and quarter panels soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke1118 View Post
    Five star is bad for the sport. roofs used to be 40$, now they are 400$. Same with hoods... same with noses... same with side skirts... they have new filler pannels..... heard they are coming out with composite doors and quarter panels soon.
    They need to let us go back to making wedge noses. These plastic ones are wedges now anyway.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

No one is forcing you to buy the $400 roof or hood. You are free to make your own out of aluminum.

If you are complaining about the cost of a nose piece you are going to be in for a rude awakening when you have to buy other parts. Maybe a Late Model isn't the class for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    No one is forcing you to buy the $400 roof or hood. You are free to make your own out of aluminum.

If you are complaining about the cost of a nose piece you are going to be in for a rude awakening when you have to buy other parts. Maybe a Late Model isn't the class for you.
    Those things are cheap to make and a terrible deal. You can waste all the money you want in racing, but those noses are a terrible value. Everyone who thinks they know what it costs to run a LM, is getting beat by someone spending considerably less.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

No one is forcing you to buy the $400 roof or hood. You are free to make your own out of aluminum.If you are complaining about the cost of a nose piece you are going to be in for a rude awakening when you have to buy other parts. Maybe a Late Model isn't the class for you.
    Not complaining about the cost of racing cause thats a dead horse , but if there is a comparable option out there for much less money, your a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) fool not to explore that option. I can think of many things that extra money can go toward to better your program.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Those things are cheap to make and a terrible deal. You can waste all the money you want in racing, but those noses are a terrible value. Everyone who thinks they know what it costs to run a LM, is getting beat by someone spending considerably less.
    yep youre right

ARbodies has a nice nose too, and the lower valance doesn't look to be a vertical wall like the MD3.
    I put one on a car several years ago. Went together nicely, but that was probably several designs ago.

Their are other options than the MD3 stuff, and much cheaper.
    Last edited by JustAddDirt; 05-11-2021 at 08:26 AM.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

No one is forcing you to buy the $400 roof or hood. You are free to make your own out of aluminum.If you are complaining about the cost of a nose piece you are going to be in for a rude awakening when you have to buy other parts. Maybe a Late Model isn't the class for you.
    By your moronic logic, why don't we allow five star to start making composite Carbon fiber chassis, carbon fiber deck pieces, multi element carbon fiber nose pieces with splitters? No one would be forcing you to run the 50,000$ frame or the 2,000$ tear away spoiler! You could stick to a steel tube frame with a 120$ piece of flat aluminum for a spoiler if you want, you would just be at disadvantage to every other team that had it. If you think thats a dumb idea: maybe LaTe MOdeLs aRenT tHe ClAsS foR yOu

By your moronic logic, why don't we allow five star to start making composite Carbon fiber chassis, carbon fiber deck pieces, multi element carbon fiber nose pieces with splitters? No one would be forcing you to run the 50,000$ frame or the 2,000$ tear away spoiler! You could stick to a steel tube frame with a 120$ piece of flat aluminum for a spoiler if you want, you would just be at disadvantage to every other team that had it. If you think thats a dumb idea: maybe LaTe MOdeLs aRenT tHe ClAsS foR yOu
    My point was five star can build and sell whatever they want but you don't have to buy it. Plenty of people still run aluminum roofs and hoods that they made and aren't at a disadvantage.

And composite quarter panels are already being used and they aren't made by five star. They are made by Gorsuch, the same people making the awesome fans.

My point was five star can build and sell whatever they want but you don't have to buy it. Plenty of people still run aluminum roofs and hoods that they made and aren't at a disadvantage.And composite quarter panels are already being used and they aren't made by five star. They are made by Gorsuch, the same people making the awesome fans.
    Why does Five star get this freedom? The shock companies certainly get whacked by rules everytime they come up with some new gadget that may unnessarily drive the price up..... engine builders have rules around what they can and cant do in the aims of keeping costs down. I don't think its out of line to hold five star to the same standard. They could make the whole thing out of CF and save a substantial amount of weight, which would allow you to put it where you want, which would be an advantage.. you would have to pay a bunch for it though. and its not "A late model" by classical standards. No rednecks in their 2 bay shop have the ability to mold carbon fiber or composite fiber glass. they can however use tin snips and a sheet metal break

Out of curiosity has anyone burned a roof? Do they melt and stick to the driver? I'm sure we all have melted something and got it on us and burned the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) out of you cause it sticks to you and doesn't come off easy?

On a side note those composite filler panels are crap, IMO. They break pretty easy, I would rather have an aluminum one so it doesn't get ripped or broken during a race and lose the front end aero. (even ignoring cost)

Both of your arguments have merit.

People get caught up in the trick of the day and if they want to waste their money then that ones them, but on the other side if not having that expensive part put you at a disadvantage. . .

I got back to perception and said this many times. Guys perceive they have to have this stuff and price themselves out of the game. Crate racing is a prime example, guys think you have to have the light weight and low drag stuff to compete. For most places this simply isn't true. Again not saying none of that matters but people feel or think if you don't have a brand new car every year with the latest greatest stuff you can't win.

Obviously on the nose part of it you don't really have a choice so you have to run an approved nose and can't really make you own. The problem I see is and where I'm afraid the pre-made body panel stuff may go is a spec panel deal. Those could easily get ruled into spec stuff you have to run and have no choice. There is body stuff going on behind the scenes right now that most aren't going to know about with the major series and rule changes coming and while some of it's good, I can see it could cost way more money and still end up with similar aero package we have now
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 05-11-2021 at 02:03 PM.

Why does Five star get this freedom? The shock companies certainly get whacked by rules everytime they come up with some new gadget that may unnessarily drive the price up..... engine builders have rules around what they can and cant do in the aims of keeping costs down. I don't think its out of line to hold five star to the same standard. They could make the whole thing out of CF and save a substantial amount of weight, which would allow you to put it where you want, which would be an advantage.. you would have to pay a bunch for it though. and its not "A late model" by classical standards. No rednecks in their 2 bay shop have the ability to mold carbon fiber or composite fiber glass. they can however use tin snips and a sheet metal break
    Actually rednecks in the 2 bay shop can make carbon fiber and composite fiberglass. You don't need much more than a trash bag and a shop vac. I have a friend making roofs hoods fender tops and fillers. The kicker is the time and attention to detail that goes into making the molds. Kinda like masters said their are usually people spending less money outrunning you. The kicker is the time. Most of us just don't have the time to invest

Time is exactly right.
    I came from a time where everyone built their car and there wasn't a catalogue to buy parts from. These days, with production cost in mind, it's always faster to buy the part than I can make it.
    I just finished making a roller gas pedal. I have three hours in it vrs $150 for an AFCO unit. I have $40 in materials
    It took me two hours to make a coil over kit for the RR OR I could have paid $150 for the kit. I have $60 in materials.
    I try to make all my own stuff cause I enjoy it and it's fun to outrun the catalogue cars but I can't race 2 nights or more a week either. Not with a full time job. Also, My lathe and Mill tooling aren't free by any means.

I don't have a good answer for turning back technology aside from 3D printing or CNC milling at home. Neither of those are gonna be less than a new car by itself. I can say weekend warrior guys spending $30-$50k for a car and racing for $600-$1000 to win is just plain stupid. Especially those who like to tear up stuff and they have $500 repair bill every week.

I came from that time as well lizard , back then we had oil shocks and built our engines out of what we had or scrounged up used , you could take a 600 hp engine in the slick and out run a 900 hp engine , with the technology in shocks and springs alone today , that little engine dont stand a chance ......

True Story. More rules usually end up costing the racer money so that's not a good answer unless you put enough rules in place that the entire car is a spec car kinda thing. That's not working out for NASCAR very well at all, or NHRA, FIA, F1, or any major sanctioning for that matter. Funny, locally everyone left the super lates type LM and UMP/USMTS type modified in favor for B mods. A mods and LM are down to 10 cars per class weekly and the B-Mods are up to around 30 per night. Cost is the biggest concern for most. $12/gallon for fuel and the spec engine rules are killing the classes for Steel block, steel head, FT cams and pump gas/E85 for the B-Mods. Although a soon to be problem is the low budget Amods and LM are now over spending in the B-mods so the most limited thing is the payout. I will have to agree the bodies need looked at and a real racer type needs to be involved so guys can still make stuff at home is needed.