Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

One thing you can’t accuse Tony of is working his a55 off to get his track ready for a race. Maybe the greatest Lucas oil heat races happened at this track, this among other great races at Lasalle. The family has dedicated their life to the sport and then some. His hands were kinda tied this weekend..

Quote Originally Posted by Action10 View Post
    Do you have an example of the real promoting he could have done?
    They make a big deal out of this race with the name and belt ect. What I mean by promoting is making it feel like something special. Make it a really big show especially if its your own track and its the first race of the year!! Work to GUARANTEE the field is more than just a glorified local race. Face it, its just another dirt late model race at a mediocre racetrack at best (does the place even have running water?). Pay for some names to show up which in turn makes the fans want to show up too. Davenport, Bloomer, Owens to name a few. I dont know what it would take for them to show up. Do fun stuff for the fans other than just open the gates and say watch my race, thanks for your cash. He has had 10 years to really build it up into something yet he has done really nothing other than announce dates and take your cash at the gates.

It says alot when a guy like Babb drives right by the joint on I-39 on his way to Wisconsin (he could have easily taken home $15k from there) or a guy like Rusty does not even stick around for day 2.

Bottom like for me as a fan is when you say you are going to run double features then you back out because there was 'not enough cars' I would never support that guy again. BUT....there are people out there that seem to overlook that and continue to support him which is really sad.

Oh but he has given his life to dirt late model racing LOL!!!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    They make a big deal out of this race with the name and belt ect. What I mean by promoting is making it feel like something special. Make it a really big show especially if its your own track and its the first race of the year!! Work to GUARANTEE the field is more than just a glorified local race. Face it, its just another dirt late model race at a mediocre racetrack at best (does the place even have running water?). Pay for some names to show up which in turn makes the fans want to show up too. Davenport, Bloomer, Owens to name a few. I dont know what it would take for them to show up. Do fun stuff for the fans other than just open the gates and say watch my race, thanks for your cash. He has had 10 years to really build it up into something yet he has done really nothing other than announce dates and take your cash at the gates.

It says alot when a guy like Babb drives right by the joint on I-39 on his way to Wisconsin (he could have easily taken home $15k from there) or a guy like Rusty does not even stick around for day 2.

Bottom like for me as a fan is when you say you are going to run double features then you back out because there was 'not enough cars' I would never support that guy again. BUT....there are people out there that seem to overlook that and continue to support him which is really sad.

Done a lot more then you have for the sport. As a laugh yes they have running water.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

They make a big deal out of this race with the name and belt ect. What I mean by promoting is making it feel like something special. Make it a really big show especially if its your own track and its the first race of the year!! Work to GUARANTEE the field is more than just a glorified local race. Face it, its just another dirt late model race at a mediocre racetrack at best (does the place even have running water?). Pay for some names to show up which in turn makes the fans want to show up too. Davenport, Bloomer, Owens to name a few. I dont know what it would take for them to show up. Do fun stuff for the fans other than just open the gates and say watch my race, thanks for your cash. He has had 10 years to really build it up into something yet he has done really nothing other than announce dates and take your cash at the gates. It says alot when a guy like Babb drives right by the joint on I-39 on his way to Wisconsin (he could have easily taken home $15k from there) or a guy like Rusty does not even stick around for day 2. Bottom like for me as a fan is when you say you are going to run double features then you back out because there was 'not enough cars' I would never support that guy again. BUT....there are people out there that seem to overlook that and continue to support him which is really sad. Oh but he has given his life to dirt late model racing LOL!!!!
    Earl Baltes..... Bob Memmer..... Carl Short..... Mooney Starr..... Bob Sargent..... Dirty White Boy 樂 You mentioned Babb as an example. Appears to me that Babb, Heckenast, Pierce, Simpson, and even Gundaker were looking at a better chance of racing twice in Wisconsin instead of LaSalle and there was more money on the line in Wisconsin. This race at LaSalle usually has a very good field when it runs as scheduled the weekend before the Illini 100. Seems pretty simple to me.....

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLM$peed View Post
    That was actually my first thought before I thought he might've been you... lol
    Yeah, I heard you the first time smart ass ☝🤓

I'm with you on the advertisement point but, I wouldn't go as far as to say I would never support them again. I as a fan would have to look at the situation and think that he didn't get enough cars for 2 features I can't blame him but, Don't get me wrong I understand why you would get upset and I'm not blaming you for saying that. I like your honesty. This is not the first time a track has offered good money and didn't get the cars and it won't be the last but, it would make a promoter hesitant the next time. Things just didn't fall into place for a decent car count. The money was there so, that wasn't the issue so, it would be interesting to find out why some drivers never showed up.

How about DoD here is a story for you. Is there anyway to find out what makes a driver pass up a track to go to another Track that's paying less money.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    I'm with you on the advertisement point but, I wouldn't go as far as to say I would never support them again. I as a fan would have to look at the situation and think that he didn't get enough cars for 2 features I can't blame him but, Don't get me wrong I understand why you would get upset and I'm not blaming you for saying that. I like your honesty. This is not the first time a track has offered good money and didn't get the cars and it won't be the last but, it would make a promoter hesitant the next time. Things just didn't fall into place for a decent car count. The money was there so, that wasn't the issue so, it would be interesting to find out why some drivers never showed up.

How about DoD here is a story for you. Is there anyway to find out what makes a driver pass up a track to go to another Track that's paying less money.
    Or better yet, why a promoter would reschedule a race on top of another big race. Drivers are not stupid and see things like that also and plus didn't he cancel a Lucas Oil race once with weather not being a factor? Some drivers do not forget things like that and fans also. With the support Mississippi Thunder got, they have already announced that things will be bigger next year.

The only thing I know for sure about being a race tack promoter is I would not want to be one!

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how much money a promotor loses before the day of a race ? Then weather or other factors take over and these guys just s*ck it up and go forward to the next week or date for another show.

Quote Originally Posted by TBSprintFan View Post
    Or better yet, why a promoter would reschedule a race on top of another big race. Drivers are not stupid and see things like that also and plus didn't he cancel a Lucas Oil race once with weather not being a factor? Some drivers do not forget things like that and fans also. With the support Mississippi Thunder got, they have already announced that things will be bigger next year.
    I understand what you're are saying and yes scheduling a race on top of another race is not a good thing but, like what's been said you don't have many weekends that there is not a big race somewhere in the region. Tony had to look at all the races going on and had to think he would get more cars then that. I bet he thought he would get Babb, Pierce and others when he made his decision to race this past weekend but, that didn't happen. I bet if he had to do it all over again he might not have rescheduled the race but, even then he would probably have someone complaining because, he didn't reschedule the race. ---- if you do and ---- if you don't

Quote Originally Posted by BILL47A View Post
    The only thing I know for sure about being a race tack promoter is I would not want to be one!
    X2!!

It's always easy to pick someone else's effort apart after the fact. I'm personally not a Izzo fan because I think he is an arrogant smart a$$, but that's only my opinion. That doesn't keep me from feeling bad for the guy when he can't get support at his events, despite paying good money and busting his a$$. This is not the first time it has happened. I think the guy needs more help honestly. He's promoting the race, the series racing, and doing the track prep. I'm not positive, but I think he also officiates to some extent also. Seems as though he may spread himself a little thin.

I give him props for not throwing in the towel and trying his best to support dirt track racing.

He’s had so many 2 day shows in the past that’s he’s canceled one night of I think that past precedent hurt him. Even though turn out was poor at least everyone can see he still raced despite probably losing his ass. I want that place to survive
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Everyone is always so quick to cast blame but in this situation at least Tony tried to have the show. Its better than other promoters who don't put forth the effort. I was apprehensive about them scheduling on top of the WoO races and it definitely hurt. In hindsight might have been better to make it a one day midweek show on Wednesday or Thursday, or just cancelled until next year. Very hard to find open weekends once you get to May.

Some of you should try and be a promoter. At the very least it’s a thankless job.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Like a above poster said, should have made it a 1 day show maybe Wednesday or Thursday. Catch those WoO guys heading North.
    I'll be honest, I would have rather stayed home and watched it on Flo considering the weather but went anyway just to support LaSalle. The day will come when it no longer exists so enjoy it while it's still open.

I thought it did close and was for sale

Everything is for sale for the right price I guess. As far as closed, lol, they took my $ this past weekend so...