Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ultimates at Cherokee

I was following on race monitor so not sure what happened but Ferguson led 39 laps of a 40 lap race.. finished 12th. I think Anthony Sanders was running 4th with one to go and won.

I know its a long time ago, but same thing happened in 2003 at Cherokee. Seems like EPJ was leading, Madden 2nd and Hommel 3rd entering turn 3. Somewhere in middle of 3 and 4 Hommel goes for broke at same moment Madden makes move on EPJ and all 3 go spinning up off turn 4 and I believe Freddie Smith strolled by from a distant 4th to take the win. This was on the big track too. I have some pics from that somewhere and I'll post if I find them.

Quote Originally Posted by LeafMaster41 View Post
    I know its a long time ago, but same thing happened in 2003 at Cherokee. Seems like EPJ was leading, Madden 2nd and Hommel 3rd entering turn 3. Somewhere in middle of 3 and 4 Hommel goes for broke at same moment Madden makes move on EPJ and all 3 go spinning up off turn 4 and I believe Freddie Smith strolled by from a distant 4th to take the win. This was on the big track too. I have some pics from that somewhere and I'll post if I find them.
    That was Hommel's "I didn't come here to run second" statement in the inaugural March Madness in 2003. Donnie Moran was running 4th and won.Last night Fergy had a flat coming to the white and tangled the field up behind him. Anthony Sanders scored his first career SLM win. Two weekends in a row the winner of an ULTIMATE SE race won their first SLM race.
    Last edited by Travis Scott; 05-09-2021 at 06:18 PM.

You are probably right on Donnie Moran winning. When I was writing I wasn't sure, I just remember the wreck. I don't remember Fergy being in Super back then or having a flat, I do remember the front 3 had separated themselves from the field and that was how Moran was able to miss the wreck and take the win. Ironically on Monday Moran brought his shocks by the shop for us to go over and the LR had busted a bag and was near useless.

He means that Fergy had a flat while leading this past Saturday night in answer to the original question.

March 23, 2003 southern all stars at Cherokee.........Winner.....Donnie Moran.
    March 29, 2003 Carolina clash winner at Cherokee.....Earl Pearson jr.
    Donnie Moran took the white flag that day in fourth place i'm pretty sure. I know I was there. Looks like history repeated itself. Freddy Smith was in 3rd and ran into the top 2 cars that tangled. Moran went by all to get the win. I think Freddy finished 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    *Fergie in that case

It's not his name either way.........

Hommell was third and took out the top two and himself in turn 4. Madden was leading but I can’t remember who was in second. But the second place car had a fender under Madden with a shot at the win. I lost respect for Duane that day.

We can agree. Both Fergies are good 👍

Respectfully disagree. Hommel was all the way on the bottom. The 44 was the leader. EPJ was 2nd. They both came down the hill as much as H2 came up. It was a racing deal. I was standing in turn 4 in the opening and had an up close view.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    It's not his name either way.........
    No but it IS his chosen nickname which he had on his cars and on his website.

Handle this in the pits

After further thought...... Donnie Moran came from 5th on that last lap to win. Yall are right. It was a long time ago but I thought about it at work today. The 44, h2, and 1 were 3 wide in turn 4 and wrecked. Freddy Smith in 4th ran into the back of one of the cars and continued towards the flagstand. Then Moran passed Freddy and won the race. Moran won and Freddy was 2nd. Moran was in 5th place in turn 3 and won.

I was sitting in grandstands in turn 4 that day...............................And isn't Fergy a singer....

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    I was sitting in grandstands in turn 4 that day...............................And isn't Fergy a singer....
    Fergie is a singer. A pretty nice looking one at that.

Fergy: https://chrisferguson22.com/fergy/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    Fergie is a singer. A pretty nice looking one at that.

Fergy: https://chrisferguson22.com/fergy/
    Yea, Buddy!

Default Sad

It's sad to me that everyone is talking about what happened nearly twenty years ago or someones nick-name while totally ignoring the driver who has been paying his dues for years. I have never really been a Sanders fan but i have been watching him get better. Some may say it was luck but he had to put himself in position for luck to kick in. Congrats 421 good job!

Quote Originally Posted by BHinBC View Post
    It's sad to me that everyone is talking about what happened nearly twenty years ago or someones nick-name while totally ignoring the driver who has been paying his dues for years. I have never really been a Sanders fan but i have been watching him get better. Some may say it was luck but he had to put himself in position for luck to kick in. Congrats 421 good job!
    Cry me a freaking river. Nobody is taking anything away from Sanders.