Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blaming Promoters for Low Car Counts

It really is not the promoters fault for low car counts. Alot has to do with weather and other area tracks that are around and what they are racing and paying and I hate to say it but also what touring series are doing as well. Also a track that has a bad reputation or a promoter with a bad one can hurt as well. Eldora has gotten a taste over the years of this. When people complained about the bad racing and they changed the banking and all when they added the dirt and then they made some rule changes I remember seeing 17 late models there for 5,000 to win. and 20 mods and 20 stocks. Heck look what ya get car count wise for the Dream and World and all the other tracks and regional series run against it. So its not just a LaSalle problem.

Quote Originally Posted by latemodelman View Post
    It really is not the promoters fault for low car counts. Alot has to do with weather and other area tracks that are around and what they are racing and paying and I hate to say it but also what touring series are doing as well. Also a track that has a bad reputation or a promoter with a bad one can hurt as well. Eldora has gotten a taste over the years of this. When people complained about the bad racing and they changed the banking and all when they added the dirt and then they made some rule changes I remember seeing 17 late models there for 5,000 to win. and 20 mods and 20 stocks. Heck look what ya get car count wise for the Dream and World and all the other tracks and regional series run against it. So its not just a LaSalle problem.
    It was easily predicted where you were going with this topic, it didn't help that the promoter of the race rescheduled his on top of the race at Mississippi Thunder. If his earlier date didn't work out because of weather he could of have rescheduled it to a time when other tracks in the area weren't racing or just canceled, or there was always mid week. That's the problem of re scheduling a race on top of another.

Promoters are to blame for some problems. They will happily schedule over someone else's big show, even when tracks announce races a year ahead of time. Promoters are also guilty of flipping rules or sanctions on teams year to year. And recently a promoter drug touring cars to a soaked track to ultimately cancel while there was a $50k to win race happening the same day. Promoters are guilty, at this point they are guilty of grasping whatever few cars/fans are left in their area whenever possible.

With the current big money races on the Lucas and WoO schedules, there aren't many (any?) weekends left for any makeup races that don't conflict with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Action10 View Post
    With the current big money races on the Lucas and WoO schedules, there aren't many (any?) weekends left for any makeup races that don't conflict with something.
    Then you either cancel all together, or take a chance on a midweek show or race and $uck up the loss if there is one and don't @itch and complain about not getting the support.

Maybe making it a one day, 10k to win show on the Thursday before FC and FALS this coming weekend would have made for a better car count?

Too many races this weekend woo atomic smoky mountain lasalle batesville not counting the smaller races that paid 5 thousand like Boyd's.

Quote Originally Posted by TBSprintFan View Post
    Then you either cancel all together, or take a chance on a midweek show or race and $uck up the loss if there is one and don't @itch and complain about not getting the support.
    The promoter decides to cancel so he doesn't lose money on a reschedule event, then the drivers miss out on another chance at a decent payday. Then the sport continues to eat itself and we are eventually wondering why tracks are closing and drivers are leaving racing...

Promote, exactly what the name implies. The car counts/attendance are completely his responsibility...There are things that are out of his control, such as weather; however offer a better program, better surface and better experience and they will come!

Promoters should just pay the GOAT some big time show money’s and they will certainly get a great crowd

Yeah I think billy would do that

The only thing I hold a promoter on the line for is the track and how racy it is. Car counts are pretty well down in most areas in all classes this year. Theres also only so many weekends a year to race..especially the further north you go, so expecting every "name" driver to show up to any race thats considered a big payday is just not gonna happen, at least not right now. There are good paying races everywhere for super late models and its impossible to have a standalone event outside of the very few who can't be touched. There are a lot of talented racers who aren't "big names" that can be just as exciting to watch. If theres enough cars to make a full field..then I'm good with that.

How does the pay per view like ( flow racing ) come into the picture .... Money wise for the track ....
    Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    How does the pay per view like ( flow racing ) come into the picture .... Money wise for the track ....
    Outstanding question

PT Barnum wore his signature hat, cane, and bullhorn to corral people into the 'big show'...Robert Smawley took a more modern and similar approach, and it worked (maybe his business model was horrible but everyone knew the 'Greatest Show on Dirt' and the girls he brought with him). Time for someone to apply the same ideas to modern technology instead of just posting on their website, facebook, or whatever. PROMOTE; excite people so that they do not want to miss it. Make your event something people plan on for months (fans want to see, drivers want to participate).

This is not complicated. There are plenty of LM's. There is also plenty of choices where to race. Car counts seem fine to me based on that fact. Just look at all the added purse races.

As for Flo racing etc, I would think there is a good pay out to promoters for their venture. Otherwise promoters would not let them near their tracks. I actually think Dirt LM racing is stronger than ever.

Now, as for the weekly shows, yes they are taking a hit on LM's. Strong LM counts at weekly shows is
    never coming back. But people can still be entertained by Crates and Mods. So, some marketing for this should be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    PT Barnum wore his signature hat, cane, and bullhorn to corral people into the 'big show'...Robert Smawley took a more modern and similar approach, and it worked (maybe his business model was horrible but everyone knew the 'Greatest Show on Dirt' and the girls he brought with him). Time for someone to apply the same ideas to modern technology instead of just posting on their website, facebook, or whatever. PROMOTE; excite people so that they do not want to miss it. Make your event something people plan on for months (fans want to see, drivers want to participate).
    Preach! Cody Sommer I believe has tried to be that person as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    Preach! Cody Sommer I believe has tried to be that person as of late.
    I agree, have known Cody for quite a long time and he is always trying to make the next big thing (nothing wrong with that)-from beer to race promoting to team ownership. Not afraid to get out on the edge.

Weekly racing is alive and well at the Davenport speedway!

BirkyTime, I grew up sneaking over to the fence in turns 3&4 to watch the drive in at Davenport-even ran one of the first few races on the 'new' quarter mile. Always glad to see things still going strong in the midwest, have lived in the south for the last 30 years and still miss the good black dirt! Both areas have their pro's and con's but when I talk to my friends in Iowa sounds like some of the same struggle we have here....