Default Observations of announcers from this past weekend

I would like to give a positive review of 3 announcers that I listened to over the weekend.

1) Comp Cams series announcer at Batesville. I believe his name is Wes. I think he does a fantastic job. Another thread mentioned that he was out of breath and excited. Yeah, he even admitted that he cut his teeth at Batesville, and that he was as excited for the return of the Bad Boy 98 (after 4 years of rainouts) as he had been in a long time. Watching JD come in and put on a clinic was indeed a sight to see, and provided an "added element" compared to a typical Comp Cams show. I especially like that Wes has a very well rounded vocabulary, and seems like a smart guy.

2) MARS announcer at Lasalle. I don't know the gentleman's name, but I feel that he does a great job as well.

3) Mississippi Thunder announcer for the WoO show, I assume he is the regular track announcer. Wow, this guy has a voice for announcing. He reminded me of the guy who did the NASCAR races on MRN back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Just an outstanding voice, and his way of describing the action very much reminded me of races being broadcast on radio back in the day, as his descriptions are very accurate/detailed (you could picture the action on the track, even if you couldn't see it).

Common thread with all 3 announcers is that they weren't throwing out cheesy one-liners every lap, and were simply "calling the action" as it happened, instead of trying to be the show. I give a big thumbs up to all 3 mentioned.

Observation or weird obsession? 🤔

✌😁

That’s better than some observations I got while I was announcing. Haha.
    Chris Nunn
    812-320-7435
    transitionaddress@hotmail.com

Dan Bailey is the MTS track announcer, he is awesome. Gives just enough info, knows his stuff, and doesn't yell or scream.

The MTS announcer was very good, also credit to them the P.A. volume wasn't maxed out! Very reasonable volume.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dirt33 View Post
    3) Mississippi Thunder announcer for the WoO show, I assume he is the regular track announcer. Wow, this guy has a voice for announcing. He reminded me of the guy who did the NASCAR races on MRN back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Just an outstanding voice, and his way of describing the action very much reminded me of races being broadcast on radio back in the day, as his descriptions are very accurate/detailed (you could picture the action on the track, even if you couldn't see it).
    That's Dan Bailey, who grew up in eastern Iowa. He is a real pro.

Quote Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
    Dan Bailey is the MTS track announcer, he is awesome. Gives just enough info, knows his stuff, and doesn't yell or scream.
    I thought he was excellent and he and Rick really complimented each other well. Very entertaining weekend listening to two professionals.

I think he also did a great job. However, I've never heard the expression that he used once. "The cream always rises to the crop". Now, that's funny!

cmonblue - I heard that too, I think he got the expression wrong. lol

An announcer’s appeal to fans is diverse, what one fan likes some others may not. Race fans often find themselves saying “I could do better than that”, part tongue in cheek and part they really believe it. It’s not that easy I’m thinking.
    I hate time trials.

I agree whole heartily with the original poster. All the announcers at these events were top-notch. I especially liked the announcer at Batesville.

Another oops: Ben Shelton on Tanner English in hot laps, "in a Clements chassis with Rocket power under the hood". I'm not a big fan of Ben announcing, but he works hard and is a strong advocate for the sport.