Default Bert Gen 2 won’t pull in low or reverse

So we just upgraded to a Bert Gen 2 in our Rayburn and it won’t pull in low or reverse. The tranny should be good as we got it from a Certified Rebuilder who got it directly from Darrell Lannigan and he only ran 6 races on it. I can shift it into gear just fine but when I go and push the clutch in it begins vibrating and it sounds like gears are grinding and doesn’t go anywhere. However I can put it in high gear and start it and drive off in high gear just fine. Any suggestions?

You shouldn't be able to "just drive off" from high gear, unless you mean start it via a push start.

It kind of sounds to me like the rod isn't adjusted correctly and isn't getting all the way into low or reverse.

I was kinda surprised myself but we were just playing around with it trying some stuff and I put it in high gear, gave it gas and it started and I was able to drive away, we are currently on our way to Brownstown to race and we will try and mess with the rod before hot laps, hopefully that’s the problem, thanks
    Last edited by MasterOfDisasterLaster; 05-12-2021 at 03:57 PM.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO Brownstown,look up Mike Bechelli,he drives a #97 Late model,create Mod Etc.He is a big Bert dealer,rebuilder,he should be able to assit you.
    you just got greased
    http://www.goddardwarrior.net

Quote Originally Posted by lazermod3 View Post
    IF YOU ARE GOING TO Brownstown,look up Mike Bechelli,he drives a #97 Late model,create Mod Etc.He is a big Bert dealer,rebuilder,he should be able to assit you.
    UPDATE! Mike won't be racing tonight,call him # 812-579-5670 he will be at the track.

you just got greased

Must be a heckuva starter you've got...or the world's lowest compression crate engine to do that LOL

that has a band in it that engages low and reverse.
    could be an issue with the piston on the band.
    and or the band stop bolt that keeps the band stationary.
    one has to watch what they are doing when putting all that together.
    I am less than 2 hours from you if you need assistance.
    call or text 812 599 1322
    Joey
    Last edited by JustAddDirt; 05-13-2021 at 09:13 AM.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

sun gear......have had this happen many times with a gen2. Plan on 1 sun gear assembly per year.

Quote Originally Posted by shocker33 View Post
    sun gear......have had this happen many times with a gen2. Plan on 1 sun gear assembly per year.
    never had this happen, and i ran the transmission for 7 years without anything but fluid changes and a tail shaft bushing and seal.

New symptom/diagnosis, so we lost the driveshaft last night so we’re trying to diagnose this tranny while we have the driveshaft out and the car is on jackstands, if the tranny is in low or reverse the output shaft starts spinning by itself without even pushing the clutch in. However when you push the clutch in that’s when it would want to start vibrating like a freight train and won’t go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    Must be a heckuva starter you've got...or the world's lowest compression crate engine to do that LOL
    One heckuva starter and an HEI setup

all of the racing transmissions will do that when put in gear. it should slowly turn in low or reverse.
    did you get the single lever shifter with this transmission as well?
    could be a band issue, or as another poster stated the sun gear.

wandering if someone had this apart, and did not put the little black plastic guide pads in and the whole rear part of the assembly is not riding in the correct spot?

sounds like you need to have it taken apart and looked at. something is definitely wrong

Yeah, the dude we bought it from just rebuilt it, although he rebuilds them for a living so not sure how common of a mistake this is or if he would make it, possible he might’ve just overlooked it. Is it something I might be able to just take apart the tranny and fix myself or take it to someone that rebuilds them. Also it did come with a single shifter that we hooked up

i would take it back to him and have him look at it.
    especially if you just bought and installed and it was a problem from the start

it's either the shifter adjusted wrong or the internal teeth are rounded on the trans. Remove shifter lever/rod and put in low or reverse (at the transmission) and apply clutch and see if it kicks it out of gear when you apply it (have someone watch the shift shaft when you apply the clutch and see if it moves/jumps. If so the gears are likely rounded and as you apply the clutch it pushes the shift arm out of alignment. If you do that test on a lift or jacks to see the trans shift shaft, apply some brakes to induce load or it may not jump out of gear.

On the shifter rod length adjustment, half a turn on the rod can be the difference in going into gear or not so it's finicky
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 05-13-2021 at 02:11 PM.

Bechelli is an absolute clown.

Quote Originally Posted by noitall93w View Post
    Bechelli is an absolute clown.
    Your 100% correct,But I didn't indicate that he had another profession!
    you just got greased