Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Several here made it sound like he ran Hawkins down and left the high line to throw a dumb slider. The events that unfolded were much more nuanced than that. He reacted and failed.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Several here made it sound like he ran Hawkins down and left the high line to throw a dumb slider. The events that unfolded were much more nuanced than that. He reacted and failed.
    I only seen the replay on YouTube. Did not see what you were referring to. Though I do believe you for what it’s worth lol.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Wrong place wrong time. Never was that a Boobie slider. Just a racin deal.

Does anybody else feel that Hudson has filled out his drivers suit any? Maybe I haven't noticed lately, but he used to be very thin. When he got out of the car, his face has filled out and looks just like a young Don.

After reading comments on here I thought the late models were gonna be a snoozer. I saw the highlights 3 wide for the lead. Moran slider was terrible. Eldora stocks put on a whale of a show. For as many that complain about Eldora not having local racing the place looked like a ghost town.
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Wiswildmanfan, like I said Eldora has lost its favor with the locals. Ever since Tony bought the place its emphasis is on big races only. Other than the Dream no late models are scheduled for the rest of June, all of July and all of August, the next late model race is Baltes classic in september, In fact only 3 events are scheduled the whole summer, SRX, Kings Royal and a family fun night. This has nothing to do with tghe pandemic, This has been the trend especially after Earl died.

There's an ALMS race there on May 30th. Or were you not counting that.
    2021 race count
    6 events

Quote Originally Posted by play4kps View Post
    Wiswildmanfan, like I said Eldora has lost its favor with the locals. Ever since Tony bought the place its emphasis is on big races only. Other than the Dream no late models are scheduled for the rest of June, all of July and all of August, the next late model race is Baltes classic in september, In fact only 3 events are scheduled the whole summer, SRX, Kings Royal and a family fun night. This has nothing to do with tghe pandemic, This has been the trend especially after Earl died.
    I guess I don't know why he would have more local shows if you guys aren't going to go anyway?
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Looked like a racing deal to me. The difference between a successful slider and one like this is often times a matter of getting lucky or not. Once you commit, a lot of times you’re just hoping it works. We see it pretty much every weekend. It’s dirt racing. It happens.

You don't hit someone going into one pulling a slide job, you might park it or hit someone in turn two but you hit someone in turn 1 it is just BS. He has raced long enough to know that and also on lap 8 of a race paying 5 grand. Come on man

Its only a racing deal, when your not the one in the wall...

Hawkins got done dirty, plain and simple.

Shame of it is Moran is a pretty good racer, has a great Car and package right now, no need to be a Desperado Dip-stick.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Its only a racing deal, when your not the one in the wall...

Hawkins got done dirty, plain and simple.

Shame of it is Moran is a pretty good racer, has a great Car and package right now, no need to be a Desperado Dip-stick.
    Did you watch the laps prior and reach that conclusion? The highlight video is deceiving. My assessment changed when I saw more of the race. It was a mistake. It was no desperado move.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Yeah was watching the live stream, Hawkins went low in 3 and 4 and lost a bunch of speed on the front stretch. I guess desperate is a bit much, Hawkins probably should have lifted, but it kind of looked like he tried to, not sure.

Just say no...

Yeah was watching the live stream, Hawkins went low in 3 and 4 and lost a bunch of speed on the front stretch. I guess desperate is a bit much, Hawkins probably should have lifted, but it kind of looked like he tried to, not sure.
    If Hawkins would have lifted where he got hit his car would have pushed straight at the wall. No two ways about it, if you get hit in the turn where he did it is a piss poor slide job.

I think Moran just carried too much steam for that line. He wasn't setting up a slider. He was just trying to race that groove, but went in way too hot because he had been running the top.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 05-18-2021 at 10:53 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I think Moran just carried too much steam for that line. He wasn't setting up a slider. He was just trying to race that groove, but went in way too hot because he had been running the top.
    That makes more sense.

Yeah i noticed he really sent it into 1, i guess he seen Hawkins slowing and thought it was a good opportunity.

At any rate there has to be give and take out there on both ends sometimes, no one is perfect i guess.

So i retract my desperado statement, I would actually like to see Moran win some big events up there at Eldora.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by play4kps View Post
    Last week the world of outlaws sprint series basically sold out both nights. They have a huge following. I realize the world and dream are there, but lets face it. Tony has done little to nothing to grow the sport in that region, sadly most of the people in the area really dont like Tony making Eldora a special events track only. Thats his choice and thats his track, but along with that came a lot of favor from the locals and law enforcement. Lets see what happens, Even Steve Casebolt drove past the Eldora exit to go 75 miles further away to Atomic. And lets face it, 24v dollars for that weak of a show is very expensive, he should have brought in the 360's also. I know the boos are coming with my next statement but I think Eldora needs to reduce its banking like they did before the NASCRAP trucks came in, especially in 3 and 4. Lets face it, when Eldora is face the racing sucks, its one fast groove all the way around. Speed sells, but competitive racing keeps fans coming back.

Not sure if you were there or watched it, but I watched the WoO show on Dirtvision.

They had basically NO CROWD for the afternoon portion of the WoO Sprints (I'd guess 12-1500)and had a "good crowd" for the nighttime portion, but no where close to a sell out.

Given Eldora's capacity of roughly 20,000, I'd put the crowd at 4-5000 tops for the nighttime portion that weekend from watching on Dirtvision and the drone shots they used.

I don't have Flo, so I can't compare the LM show last weekend to the Outlaw show from a crowd standpoint.

I will say that I believe $24 is too high of ticket price based on the following: I go to Knoxville weekly that pays $4000 to win 410 sprints (and $600 for 24th), and $2000 to win 360 Sprints and also has 305 sprints on the card, all for $15 for adults, $10 for teens and kids under 12 are FREE.

I'd guess the overall purse for Knoxville weekly show and the Late Model show at Eldora are similar and facility wise, they both have similar payroll/overhead costs due to their size.

Both are FOR PROFIT businesses (the Marion County Fair Association is a FOR PROFIT business that pays taxes just like Eldora does, it is not run or operated by the County), so no one can argue they are different because one is on a Fairgrounds.

As far as your statement about reducing the banking. I have no opinion, haven't been to Eldora in 2 decades now.

Regarding Tony making it a "special events only" track. That had been happening under Earl as well.

The last year Earl owned it, but had the following for Special Events: Spring WoO, Spring USAC, Summer All Star Series, Dream, King's Royal, Fall WoO, Fall All Star Series, USAC 4 Crown, and World 100.

Plus, he has the Historical Big One (winged sprints), Mopar Million (non-wing sprints) and Eldora Million (late models) as special events he tried over the years as well.

IMO, the biggest issue for Eldora is LOCATION. Eldora has to use special events to attract customers to come. The race fans in the immediate area around Eldora aren't enough to sustain weekly racing IMO.