Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No it hasn’t. It’s an entire sport problem, not just Eldora.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    We can't help it guys turned a claimer engine class into a LM with junk tires.
    And that is exactly what has happened. Plus with there narrow tires and all that horsepower they rut up a track a lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    We can't help it guys turned a claimer engine class into a LM with junk tires.
    Lol, too fukin true. So I have first hand knowledge of the class. Starting in 94’. My Dad had been out of racing for about 6 years. Still had his supplies, just no car. Bill Cunningham in NE Ohio was selling his EMod. Yes, they called them EMods. And they were. He coulda bought Bill’s car, I think minus the motor for like $5500 I think it was. Whatever the reason, he changed his mind. I wish he hadn’t, I know he missed it, but he did. And Bill was a front runner, and had a good car. I just think my Dad didn’t want to put in the time and money, because then that’d mean no fishing.

My brother got into the class in about 04’ I think. In a ThrowNDirt chassis. Then he went with a local guys crap car, had Joel Watson make it half decent. Then finally in 16’ he got a complete Mars car. They have been great to him, AJ, Chris, Jimmy, all of them. He has a new car for this year. Some of them people won’t let you use your stuff, Mars doesn’t care and gets it. My brother gets a good bit of stuff at cost through Summit, that’s his employer.

And the only reason he can race, my Dad paid for the start up, and now with him gone, my brother only affords it because he lives at home. The cost are insane. Shocks, tranny, motor, rearend, nuts. They are UMP now, so they are on that tire. We shall see.

But it’s darn near a late model with an 8” tire and 600-750ish horsepower.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

After read some more good comment in both Eldora threads, it has me thinking, again, what I‘ve already stated.

Maybe its simply just ME, and the 45 or so years of my involvement during the evolution of nowadays DLM’s as a “race vehicle” has passed ME by. The big noses, bigger bodies, aero, shock packages and the such. And the cars just don’t race like they once did. Maybe its just ME.
    Last edited by lurker; 05-31-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Who else pays 125 thousand to win twice a week try that out for luster.

Lurker,

I've been working on these things for 35 years. It's become a love/hate thing. They are not the same as they were. The more aero and engine dependent they become, the more I hate them.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Thanks MasterSbilt_Racer

Eldora has no locals anymore, that is the big reason for the weak car count. After the Dreams, there will not be another late model race all summer, eldora doesnt race late models all summer. the next late model race after the dreams is the baltes classic in Spetember, let that sink in! For some reason Eldora has been standing always being fast. When Eldora is fast the late models run one fast groove all the way around the track, no passing, boring racing. But lets be honest, Eldora is not really about the racing anyways, its about the atmosphere and the drinking. Like I have said before, widen and take a lot of banking out of 3 and 4 and the races will be phenominal, less wear and tear on cars, more cars will show up! And complaining about modifieds purse is ridiculous, Until Lucas, WOO and UMP reign in the teams willing to spend a million to make a dime, the sport will continue to lose drivers, low car counts and less fans. I know Eldora will have big crowds for the dream and world, but the first 2 late model races had a weak fan turnout. Waynesfield is 35 miles away had 360 sprints and non wings sprints and had almost a full house.
    Last edited by play4kps; 05-31-2021 at 10:05 PM.

I’d like to see another track pull the driver talent that Eldora had for a $5k race.

The 2017 Appleseed only had 16 Late Models there. Its nothing new to have lack luster Late Model counts for the events not called Dream or World 100.

Even the Dream and World 100 are different than they used to be. The late model world doesn't stop those weekends anymore so everyone can go to those races.

I personally miss the old format qualifying and non qualifiers on Friday. With that said I know times have changed drastically the days of 150-200+ cars are gone. Anymore there’s not even enough cars for the non qualifier.

Have been running late models for over 30 years (and dad raced them for years before that). When I started, you had a chance to actually make the World (or thought you did) with a little luck and effort; it now requires a very expensive engine and chassis. Progress has taken away the chance to use equipment that may be a little 'sub par' and have a shot. Nature of the beast, personally liked driving the older cars but don't see them taking the bodies away anytime soon. Would be a start though...

Quote Originally Posted by Action10 View Post
    Even the Dream and World 100 are different than they used to be. The late model world doesn't stop those weekends anymore so everyone can go to those races.
    All the local tracks that were in my area at the time did. Then eventually no one went then they were added to the weekly schedule. Seems like it was around 2005 or 2006 maybe a few yrs later Oakshade started to run a no points night against the Dream or World
    Last edited by NeedforLM$peed; 06-01-2021 at 11:53 AM.
    2021 race count
    6 events

BirkyATS I agree. I wish they would run the old format once a decade or something just for those of us who remember it and enjoyed it. Nothing like getting that heat race lineup sheet on Saturday morning back in the day! I think the change in format also has led to the decline in cars. If you drew a good number and got out early you could get a fast lap in and a good starting spot you might at least have a chance to finish in the top 3 of a heat. Now with all the added racing it’s much harder on smaller budget teams to feel like they have a chance to even make the show. And yes I know more racing is good for the fans I’m fine with that too. Lots of good posts on this thread!

things are starting to repeat 08-10 after record car counts the few years before. Wishfully the lower car counts would cause revisions to get more players back in the game but sadly a hand full of people control late model racing and that wont happen. And to add to that i dont think most folks realize how close all of motorsports is to being out of parts. Youre lucky to find off the shelf stuff now and if you need something custom its a month or 2 wait minimum

The only thing Eldora lost was fans as far as car counts u cannot expect a big turnout of cars for 5k up it another 5k and u will see a few more cars tires, fuel for car and tractor pulling it is a lot of out of pocket expense unless u are willing to dig in your pockets and dish out some cash than it's best to leave it alone.