Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do they copyright DLM chassis?

Can a person just clone any old DLM chassis they want and sell it under a different name?

Pretty much....Most think they can change a couple of things and make it better, few actually do (but that is how we got away from Rayburns and Howes).....

Isn't the general rule on copyrights/patents that a 10% change is fair game? I'm sure it's more nuanced than that, but even if it is patented, one wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel.

Copyright or patent is only as good as the lawyers or amount of money and time the person wants to spend to defend them.

Truth^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    Pretty much....Most think they can change a couple of things and make it better, few actually do (but that is how we got away from Rayburns and Howes).....
    According to Rayburn every car ever built with 4 bars holding the rear in and a double wishbone front suspension is pretty much an exact copy of his. So basically Austin Kirkpatrick is the first guy to only half copy cj

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    According to Rayburn every car ever built with 4 bars holding the rear in and a double wishbone front suspension is pretty much an exact copy of his. So basically Austin Kirkpatrick is the first guy to only half copy cj
    No copy, because it was a 1 link on RR

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Yeah well you see where that got him...

Copyrights are reserved for books, songs, poems, etc. Perhaps you mean patents? You can't patent a dirt late model frame. It doesn't meet the basic rules to patent something. Rumley's left rear suspension from a few years ago probably could have been patented. Types of shocks could be patented.

To patent something it has to be unique in design. Most get them before it gets released, but if you do get one and someone see's a flaw they can redesign the look but still have the same function. A chassis, waste of time. Move a few bars and you can call it whatever you want. All these cars are close to being the same as it stands today anyhow. Some just have a lot more of them out there and have greater feed back from there customer base.

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    Can a person just clone any old DLM chassis they want and sell it under a different name?
    Sure. Mark Richards has been doing it for years!

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    No copy, because it was a 1 link on RR
    I call that a leaf spring!
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Austin34471 View Post
    Yeah well you see where that got him...
    In the rules HoF with Rumley. Another chapter in the theater of the absurd, that is modern dlm racing.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

(but that is how we got away from Rayburns and Howes).....
    Threads like this make me think of the good old days of, Bopp, Howe, Tri-City Buggy, Lefthander, Dillon ------ Ahhhh, the good old days!!
    Last edited by lurker; 06-02-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I call that a leaf spring!
    I never seen it. He just caught my eye a few years ago at Eastbay. At least I thought that was him. Then when he popped back up I kinda kept tabs on him a little. Question was it a leaf or did it actually have a single link on the rr similar to a 3 link ?

Quote Originally Posted by formercrewguy View Post
    Sure. Mark Richards has been doing it for years!
    Funny, if anything, his cars have probably been copied more than anyone's. Let's remember Richards and Ed Howe had a close relationship for many yrs. Then someone mentioned about Rayburn. H*ll his leaf spring cars were the car to have back in the day when you didn't have that LR shock behind the axle.

Larry Shaw was one of the first to make the four bar work well in the 80's... I ordered a car from Warrior in the early 90's and asked for a four bar, they tried to talk me out of it-said nothing was better than a mono leaf car....

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Funny, if anything, his cars have probably been copied more than anyone's. Let's remember Richards and Ed Howe had a close relationship for many yrs. Then someone mentioned about Rayburn. H*ll his leaf spring cars were the car to have back in the day when you didn't have that LR shock behind the axle.
    He's never had an original design. He copied a Bloomer. The blue car is a Rayburn front. The combo cars they built were 100% Rayburn.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Larry Shaw was one of the first to make the four bar work well in the 80's... I ordered a car from Warrior in the early 90's and asked for a four bar, they tried to talk me out of it-said nothing was better than a mono leaf car....
    Yeah, by like 88 or so, everyone had abandoned 4 link.
    Then around 94/95, 4 links came back again.

The reason I was drawn to LM was because the rules were very basic and any geometry was fair game.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

EvelB7 & MasterSbilt_Racer,

Do either of you remember the ShawBurn chassis campaigned by Billy Moyer Jr. --- Late 80’s I think? Shaw front clip, Rayburn rear --- if memory serves me correctly ??