Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much would changing the body rules help?

Especially at the bigger places but DJ hit the nail on the head lastnight at WVMS talking about how we are not far off wedge racing sometimes with these cars. The bigger tracks are the most obvious where guys push like a sled on entry beheind someone else. Would going back to the early 2000's era rules make a difference?

Enforcing the current rules would help......

Quote Originally Posted by davis2902 View Post
    Enforcing the current rules would help......
    Rewinding to even 2015 would help even more. Part of the problem is the rules change to make guys legal again. Then those rules aren't enforced either.

The racing is junk now.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Getting the body rules straight would make a huge difference. The problem is everyone is afraid to run off the big names and actually do it. What the Extreme (Doug Bland) did in the early 2000's was on the right track, unfortunately money won out and we are no better for it (all my opinion of course).

It’s never going to happen. A minority has complained for years about the direction the bodies were heading, but the majority think the modern day bodies “look cool”. They don’t care what it’s doing to the sport as long as it “looks cool”

I have been calling them the modern day wedge for a few years now and always got push back from the but they look cool crowd.

One example Davenport just last year was one of the it “looks cool crowd”.

https://twitter.com/thefast49/status...339572226?s=21
    Last edited by Mike; 06-06-2021 at 01:32 PM.
    Mike
    I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Buckeyes !

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    Getting the body rules straight would make a huge difference. The problem is everyone is afraid to run off the big names and actually do it. What the Extreme (Doug Bland) did in the early 2000's was on the right track, unfortunately money won out and we are no better for it (all my opinion of course).
    I think his biggest downfall was Goodyear tires, not what he was doing with bodies...

The #1 problem is getting woo and Lucas to sit down together and come up with a set of rules everyone can agree on. The way it stands right now, if one series decides to go back 10 to 15 yrs and reel in the bodies and the other series says we are not changing. Well you can guess what that outcome will be.

Remember bodies are cheap. Whats a slm take today 8 sheets to bend a body. When I was buying sheet aluminum it was 36.00 a sheet, I have no idea what it cost today. 70 to 80 ?

Its been the biggest change since I was last in the pit area. The decks are all dished, the spoilers are laid out on the rr corner and straight up in the lr, basically no window panels, curved doors, different ears. All of said sh1t would have caught an earful from a tech guy last time I was around.

The sport needs somebody in power to come forward and establish a set of standardized rules and the sanctions need to enforce them. Who is going to step up and be the next Bob Memmer?

Steve Francis, the track photographer and the sprint car driver have zero incentive to change or enforce the body rules. They want to keep a certain percentage of drivers happy and don’t give two craps about the local/regional guy. A Bob Memmer is needed so bad because the drivers are their own worst enemy and the powers that be are catering to the top dogs of the sport. It’s a slow death that is half way there

Francis and shuman are different series numb nuts

The 900 pound gorilla in the room is wearing a wedge style body on it. The trouble is, every dirt late model (super, limited, crate, etc.) in this country and a couple others all looks the same. They've all inch-wormed their way into cheat-land. I really never thought Steve Francis was ever going to un-ring the bell in regards to body rules. It is too far gone and beyond one head tech man in one series.

The least expensive race car is the one sitting in the shop/trailer right now, as it is. Change a rule, it adds an expense - even if the rule is one designed to save money. The change costs money. Does anyone think they could realistically and uniformly have every DLM change their bodies now? Remember way back when they actually used to mold different noses for different makes?
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgs153 View Post
    The 900 pound gorilla in the room is wearing a wedge style body on it. The trouble is, every dirt late model (super, limited, crate, etc.) in this country and a couple others all looks the same. They've all inch-wormed their way into cheat-land. I really never thought Steve Francis was ever going to un-ring the bell in regards to body rules. It is too far gone and beyond one head tech man in one series.

The least expensive race car is the one sitting in the shop/trailer right now, as it is. Change a rule, it adds an expense - even if the rule is one designed to save money. The change costs money. Does anyone think they could realistically and uniformly have every DLM change their bodies now? Remember way back when they actually used to mold different noses for different makes?
    Every race car gets a new body every winter. The big teams replace them almost weekly. It's not a big deal.

They sure can cheat them up pretty fast. There are rocket cars out there right now where the right spoiler piece is 3 or 4 inches wider, yet the left side of the car is unchanged. Those cars looked normal and boom, then they didn't.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 06-06-2021 at 11:07 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by noitall93w View Post
    Francis and shuman are different series numb nuts
    I'm pretty sure he knows that. Those two series are the only things that matter at this point. If they decide a spec hood scoop is needed, it will hit every other set of rules by next year.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 06-06-2021 at 11:09 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Just making everything straight and symmetrical would help a ton and not even change the look of the cars in any significant manner. That won’t happen until a few chassis and body manufacturers say it does. They won’t say that until their chassis sales are significantly reduced. Then the body part and chassis manufacturers will make giant piles of money as everybody gets “into spec” and they’ll wonder why they didn’t do it sooner.

If crates didn’t exist, this scenario would have happened already. It
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Bayko,

If they do anything, it will probably be the spec route, you just mentioned. Everyone has to buy all their panels from a manufacturer. You think $500 nose kits are bad? A body will cost more than we have in our roller.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by Action10 View Post
    I think his biggest downfall was Goodyear tires, not what he was doing with bodies...
    I agree, I wasn't referencing the body per say but the way things were run (not bending to the names). The only time I have ever received free tires was running with them...Granted, the quality of the tire sucked but it was a start and everyone had the same junk tire. How much power does a tire manufacturer have?-Extreme is gone and there are races being cancelled in present day as we speak...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I'm pretty sure he knows that. Those two series are the only things that matter at this point. If they decide a spec hood scoop is needed, it will hit every other set of rules by next year.
    Yep, apparently I need to break it all down for numb nutty there. But yeah, you got it.
    I woulda thrown Kenneda in there too, but I believe he just does what he’s told from above. Francis was actually brought in to make a difference on enforcing/making rules. I haven’t seen where he had made a lick of difference.
    In my opinion, they need to start with the decks.
    Last edited by JabberJaws83; 06-07-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Decks wouldn't be a terrible place to start. They never should have left 36". They should be checked after the race. There shouldn't be any 300# guys bouncing on the rear bumper.

The aero push racing is the fault of the noses as well. Ever put ones from 2000, 2010, and 2021 side by side?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Yep, between the new noses and the sloped decks, it is indeed a glorified “wedge” car