Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Does anyone know if these dirt late model cars go to the wind tunnel?

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Yes they do.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Yep, that's exactly how we ended up with these bodies

Austin Kirkpatrick body is crazy, his left rear tire isn’t even under the body of the car.
    That's the way they used to look.

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    Kirkpatricks car is tiny, like a Swartz.
    Exactly what I said when I seen it!!

looks like a mini late

Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaws83 View Post
    Yep. They are all crooked and sloped. Hate em
    See I am the opposite, I think they look cool.

They better eventually enforce some of the rules. They’ll just continue to keep pushing the envelope farther and farther.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Does anyone have pics of Austin Kirkpatricks car?

If they where shoes, they'd be the left one... 😁

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    See I am the opposite, I think they look cool.
    You can real them in and not drastically change the cool factor. But that right front/right rear has got to go.

I can't believe no one has noticed Francis is there doing post race tech.

I saw him but didn’t think it was a big deal. It was already said they would be working together to not do crap

Quote Originally Posted by robbie35 View Post
    Does anyone have pics of Austin Kirkpatricks car?
    Not from Eldora, but this is how his car always looks:

Yes they were in the wind tunnel years ago. Since they started taking them to the tunnel people have been pushing the rules further and further every year too see what they could get by with. Give someone an inch and they will take a mile thus you get today's bodies.

The same thing has happened in the modified class as well.
    Mike
    I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Buckeyes !

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Yes they were in the wind tunnel years ago. Since they started taking them to the tunnel people have been pushing the rules further and further every year too see what they could get by with. Give someone an inch and they will take a mile thus you get today's bodies.

The same thing has happened in the modified class as well.
    Mods aren’t anywhere close to being as drastically affected with the lesser surface area in the front though. Plus the 9” tires help create parity and closer racing.

I’m a huge mod fan and usually you will get a much better show from say a USMTS race because of those factors.

Quote Originally Posted by c1ty5tar View Post
    Mods aren’t anywhere close to being as drastically affected with the lesser surface area in the front though. Plus the 9” tires help create parity and closer racing.

I’m a huge mod fan and usually you will get a much better show from say a USMTS race because of those factors.
    Mods bodies just like late models have evolved with wind tunnel testing. The mod bodies have drastically changed over the last 10 years or so. If you think aero/and down force doesn't play a factor your crazy.

Things like more rake, molded noses, side skirting and wheel flares came from the testing. Just like the late models the bodies get pushed pass the limit in Florida. Guys see how far the can go. Just look at all the controversy at the winter nationals this year. A lot of people were questioning some of those bodies just from watching the video stream. They have gotten so far out of control a lot more people have started to notice, but if you was paying attention years ago you could see the direction they were headed.

Funny you bring up the 9" tire as well. Wasn't the old rule 8" tires ? Those bodies combined with the wider tire allows you to get those higher horsepower engines hooked up which has driven up the cost. As a result you now have several classes of modifieds, (ie A-mod, B-mod, Sport Mod, Northern Sport mod ect.) just like late models.
    Mike

Facebook

Mods bodies just like late models have evolved with wind tunnel testing. The mod bodies have drastically changed over the last 10 years or so. If you think aero/and down force doesn't play a factor your crazy.

Things like more rake, molded noses, side skirting and wheel flares came from the testing. Just like the late models the bodies get pushed pass the limit in Florida. Guys see how far the can go. Just look at all the controversy at the winter nationals this year. A lot of people were questioning some of those bodies just from watching the video stream. They have gotten so far out of control a lot more people have started to notice, but if you was paying attention years ago you could see the direction they were headed.

Funny you bring up the 9" tire as well. Wasn't the old rule 8" tires ? Those bodies combined with the wider tire allows you to get those higher horsepower engines hooked up which has driven up the cost. As a result you now have several classes of modifieds, (ie A-mod, B-mod, Sport Mod, Northern Sport mod ect.) just like late models.
    I didn’t say they weren’t affected, just not affected near as much. I do think they are going too far with the decking and sails though. Check out Lance Mari’s car. The deck from the rear wheels to the back is basically just an extension of the spoiler due to change in pitch of it.

I agree the costs have gone up for them, but series are still trying to keep them down. The spec motors are still competitive and the series communicate a bit regarding rules also.

The UMP mods have one saving grace. The lack of spoiler has them racing better than LM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    The UMP mods have one saving grace. The lack of spoiler has them racing better than LM.
    They play with the roof when they can’t have a spoiler. Hoffman’s roof along with other body mods was a hot topic back at the winter nationals.

Here is an old article from Hot Rod magazine where Strickler talks about aerodynamics and modified racing.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp...r-dirt-racers/

I was looking at the UMP rules. Can a track make up their own rules and race under the UMP umbrella now?

https://dirtcar.com/rules/dirtcar-modifieds/
    Last edited by Mike; 06-11-2021 at 12:50 PM.
    Mike

Facebook