Thread: Wheel spacers

Default Wheel spacers

Whats up with all the 1/4-1/2 inch wheel spacers on both fronts? Is it clearance issues or fine tuning?

A spacer on the front end is a horrible thing to do in regards to how it effects front end geometry.

Wouldn't a spacer only effect roll center? the caster, camber, ackerman, bump steer is all controlled by the linkage and mounts. Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    A spacer on the front end is a horrible thing to do in regards to how it effects front end geometry.
    When Huey was alive and the MBH cars were stomping in Maryland and PA they ran a 1" wheel spacer on the RF.

Owens had a one inch on his RF at Eldora.

Without knowing key details you can't honestly say its a horrible thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie35 View Post
    Wouldn't a spacer only effect roll center? the caster, camber, ackerman, bump steer is all controlled by the linkage and mounts. Just wondering.
    Scrub radius will be increased. Chassis will be lower to the ground for the same shock travel. Amount of weight transfer from caster will change as well. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of other things.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I've liked a 1" on the RF when forced to run a hard tire rule, helps make a little RF heat. All good as long as you drive straight, seems like if you backsteer the RF spacer made the car worse.