Default Carolina Sprint Tour Cherokee Speedway

Tomorrow. Saturday night. Double header weekend for the tour.

Good racing from the Carolina sprint tour. 👍. Drivers and tour officials do a great job 👍 I’m not impressed with Carolina speedway. Program isn’t run as smoothly as it should be. Far too much downtime on the track. (It’s like watching paint dry most of the night)

We here in Illinois and Iowa have great racetracks that are organized and managed by very good people but those same tracks that don't field direct drive cars on a regular basis seem to drop the ball when they schedule them. Take Fairbury, Illinois for instance. The people responsible for the show running smooth and timely are the best in the country............for late models/mods, etc. But when it comes to push truck organization of their open wheel shows they are lacking.

On the other hand Jacksonville Speedway, just a couple hours down the road from Fairbury runs one of the tightest open wheel shows you'll ever attend. The promoter at J-ville concentrates on organization and track prep that enhances the entertainment value of the open wheel cars.

Not sure we can totally fault the tracks that predominantly schedule and organize fendered racing events. The open wheel cars just require a different skill set to be well organized.

I've said many times, the tracks that seek to host direct drive open wheel events should study The Chili Bowl. Nobody does it better that Emmett Hahn and his crew!!

Push trucks were not a problem. Teams and sprint tour have that figured out. The rest of the program was just slow. Cautions too long, etc. they have pits outside the track but scales inside track. People going in and out all the time. That’s a disaster there. but you just sit through the crap because the sprint cars are awesome machines and well worth the wait to see
    Last edited by Rajflyboy; 06-19-2021 at 09:42 AM.

Doesn't matter what aspect of organization that is in disarray and holds up the show. As I indicated earlier, the direct drive cars require a different skill set. Generally push trucks alone aren't necessarily the problem. It's often the organization and lack of them and the staging of the racecars that are the glitches.

As good as you claim they are (after reading many of your posts you're claims often are hollow and incorrect) I'm betting the sanction and individual tracks could still learn a lot from Emmett's crew out in Tulsa. When you run 350 total cars divided over 5 nights (that's 70 cars per night) and then run all 350 again on Saturday with some cars racing multiple times on Saturday you've got your $hit together and shine as an example for others.

Series promoters don’t necessarily control the track operators. Carolina sprint tour officials have their act together 👍. They are attracting sprint cars from all over the east coast.

I will say the Carolina Sprint team does do a pretty good job, quite a few transplants in it that you may know CIRF (Andy Staap would be one).

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    I will say the Carolina Sprint team does do a pretty good job, quite a few transplants in it that you may know CIRF (Andy Staap would be one).
    Coming from you, Evel, that carries some credence. The other clown, not so much! It is a pet peeve of mine that tracks that do not regularly host direct drive racecars don't put extra emphasis on organization of the show. It's a completely different world from fendered cars with clutches, transmissions and starters. The tracks that don't run good tight dirt open wheel shows give those divisions a bad name among the spectators, especially the tin top faithful. I've seen it happen many times on the track and in the pits and heard the grumbling in the grandstands at Fairbury, Illinois many times. I do my best to explain that it's not the fault of the cars but the fault of the facility management not knowing how to organize a decent show.

Carolina sprint tour has its own crew, Flag man, officials, push cars, etc. They did a good job of checking the track before the heats and feature (keeping it safe). Flag man wears an old school white suit jacket.

Overall just happy to have quality sprint car racing right here in the Carolinas 👍

I haven't been to Carolina in a few years but it went from being one of the first in the area to get a show going and over in a decent time to being known for the opposite (and the surface has not been good from what I hear as well). Afraid it is most likely headed the way of other ghost tracks, was slated to have a major road running right through its location in the near future....

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    I haven't been to Carolina in a few years but it went from being one of the first in the area to get a show going and over in a decent time to being known for the opposite (and the surface has not been good from what I hear as well). Afraid it is most likely headed the way of other ghost tracks, was slated to have a major road running right through its location in the near future....
    Just glad to see a few big races there occasionally

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Overall just happy to have quality sprint car racing right here in the Carolinas 
    Quality can't be that good if the cars have wings/crutches. bbwwwaaaaahahahahahaha!!