Default Stagger Question

I'm hearing from a few different competitors in different brand chassis running very little to no rear stagger in the slick. Is this new or becoming a trend because shock and spring packages are better? One guy said 3/4" in the slick and max 2" in the war or tacky with 1" spacer on RR. Seems like not enough stagger to me but these new cars are different animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    I'm hearing from a few different competitors in different brand chassis running very little to no rear stagger in the slick. Is this new or becoming a trend because shock and spring packages are better? One guy said 3/4" in the slick and max 2" in the war or tacky with 1" spacer on RR. Seems like not enough stagger to me but these new cars are different animals.
    There is a correct stagger based on the circle you are turning. That said, dirt is about the best collection of compromises most of the time. You are going to have trouble rolling a corner with no stagger, unless you are running some sort of limited slip diff.

I tend to run less than I used to since the front works better and we coast a lot less. That said, the numbers you give would not work for me. They probably do work well, with the correct combo.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 06-28-2021 at 10:57 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

There are for sure many that run those small amounts of stagger so it's not uncommon but as with anything there are people all over the place. Some are still using the old normal larger numbers and some are all the way down to zero at times, basically use what works for you and how you do things or set up a car.

I can tell you typically, the low staggers may be faster if you hit the corner just right but tends to be less consistent for most people. Basically on average it's usually easier for most people to be more consistent with more stagger, thus be faster over 10 laps vs maybe being .1/.2 faster with less stagger but then have 3 of those 10 laps where they missed making the corner properly and slowed .5/.6 so have a net loss for the 10 laps.

Hope that makes sense
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 06-28-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Mr. Furneys stagger table sure was nice back in the day. You had to do a little work of measuring the turn radii and banking angle but it always seemed spot on. However, i feel it would be a little too much as we run alot more oversteer now!