Thread: qualifying

Default qualifying

If we can't get them (any series) to dice it completely could we at least go back to regular qualifying instead of group qualifying. At least with everyone on the same list there should be more passing if guys get good or bad track conditions depending on when they go out. When they split it into 2 groups it seems to dilute that imo.
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    If we can't get them (any series) to dice it completely could we at least go back to regular qualifying instead of group qualifying. At least with everyone on the same list there should be more passing if guys get good or bad track conditions depending on when they go out. When they split it into 2 groups it seems to dilute that imo.
    That's exactly why they won't do it. Drivers don't want to pass. And now they have cars where you can't.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Seems like if they do groups (2 or 4) one always ends up being way more loaded than the others. If they really want to split them up in groups they should have someone with some common sense looks at the lineups and move them around to make them more balanced. But common sense ain’t very common sometimes

Drop Shock,

Performance on a particular night is not a given. That sounds like some pro wrestling stuff, imo.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Maybe they should qualify for qualifying groups/line up so cars are more evenly grouped/spread out for qualifying (grin)

You know so guys have to run in the line that's the fastest right at the time during qualifying and make the track even more one lane instead of random draws for heats so cars have to move to other lines so they can pass (fast cars not starting up front) and make multiple lanes, widen the track, or use up track more evenly.

Group qualifying would be better if you drew for heats and then only timed against the cars that are in your heat. If the track is big enough, send the entire heat out to qualify at once. If it isn’t, separate it into separate it into two groups one right after another.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

drop qualifying all together and just pill draw and use passing points. make the racers actually race

I only like pill draws, and passing points with 2 rounds of heats. Makes it more fair all the way around.
    As far as qualifying. I like group qualifying much better than what we used to have. Nothing worse that going to a big HAT race, and having everyone qualify, THEN they'd set the heats, and they had to give them time, cause the last qualifier might be in heat 1. And after heats, THEN they'd set the B mains...and again, you'd have to wait more.
    Group qualifying and having the heats and B mains linked to that group is the best way, if you are doing qualifying.

My preference would be pill draw. If you can't do that do qualifying all on one list with multiple cars on the track at same time to save time. Then do an invert of 4 to 6 for heat and average your qualifying position for that heat and finishing position for heat to lineup feature. Example Q1 S4 and F3 average 2. Q4 S1 and F2 average 3. Tiebreakers go to most cars passed in heat.
    Last edited by WisWildManFan; 07-09-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

With the low low car counts in the dying Super Late Model division, double heat races with passing points should be used since there aren’t consis too often anymore. There is enough time for 3 more heats.

Drop qualifying, period. Draw a pill and run double heat races. Take the top 12 and let them pull a pill for the feature. The cars, track conditions, weather have so much to do in were you go out to run your Q lap. Nobody likes nut hugging bottom groove racing, and you just are seeing to much of it anymore.

Eliminate qualifying period! It's a big waste of time. Pill draw, and make em race!

Quote Originally Posted by hoodpin View Post
    Eliminate qualifying period! It's a big waste of time. Pill draw, and make em race!
    Bingo !!!!!!
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

You guys would really hate it down here in the south. They’ve pretty much gotten rid of heat races altogether. Just qualify and the top 16 go straight to the feature.

That format in the south (qualifying to take the top 12 or 16, no heats, last chance race/b-main to fill the remaining spots in the feature) is absolute garbage. I know some of the drivers/owners like it because it is fewer laps on the cars and motors, but it’s a joke for the fans. Hard to justify buying a ticket to see less racing.

Terry that and tracks like oglethorpe and GIS are both dead. There is no weekly slm racing

Rollover nailed it.#7

I’m all for pill draws, but just straight pull draws. No passing points. That can be confusing to the average fan and half the pits.

Just make the heats longer to give guys more time to move forward, and for the love of God, no redraws or inverts if you’re pulling pills.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

The drivers have gotten so used to timing in, they would have to be forced to pill draw every time they race. Maybe if the format was like the sprint guys use would help. I don't recall anyone complaining about that format. I have no clue as to what it is but it works for them.

TerryM that isn't exactly correct on "how the south" format works. The Comp series format is just like Lucas Oil. MS State, SAS, and most others do things a little different. 2 group time trials. The top 4 of each group lock in the feature but they run a heat race to determine feature starting spot. The cars in the remaining 2 groups run a b-main. Most of the races have less than 24 cars so every car races.