Thread: UMP Memories

Default UMP Memories

When I got out of the Army in 89 I became an UMP official. First stop Ponderosa Speedway Memorial Day weekend for a 3 day show. I met a kid that was wheeling a late model. That was Josh Tarter from Tarter Farm and Gate. I also met a guy in his new family built black transporter along with his mother and brother. That driver was Steve Francis. I also have the memories of sitting in the Waffle House with Bob Memmer and Steve Smith. A great weekend. The next stop was Kankakee. Which created a small problem for me for a driver in attendance. Kevin Weaver is my cousin and he was racing. The other official had total say in that one. Then work conflicted too much and I had to let it go. But what fun it was and the people I met! Now that I am retired I wish I still had the connection.

did you do any of Eldora Races? Also I remember going to my first UMP race it was 1995 and to see all the late models and mods and stocks at Eldora for the Labor Day Johnny Appleseed Classic was awesome for a 10 year old. I got to see 160 cars total and it was a late night like 1 a.m. but boy i was hooked.