Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Discretionary competition caution flags?

After last nights flag to flag feature race at I80, I felt kind of bored seeing no race for the lead. Once a DLM gets out front, it's gone. Nobody will be changing the body rules anytime soon so should they impose a competition caution flag on long runs where the field is stretched out just to make it more competitive? Most of the passing these days is on restarts anyway and it would make the racing more interesting than a car getting 6 seconds out front in clean air with no chance of being caught.

I definitely wanted one last night. But in general … I’m voting no.

Competition cautions? Good grief NO. Late Models aren't NASCAR and don't need manufactured excitement. Some races are just better... or worse and that's the way it is.

Competition yellows? F@#& NO! Gotta give Erb credit for really pushing it through lapped traffic, Thornton put on a great show too!

This no passing, no competition on long green flag runs is boring. I was hoping Bloomquist would have pulled one of his famous bring out a yellow to change a tire when there's 15 laps left with no chance of winning.

NO bad idea

Y'all need to go to cup races.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Doesn't Nascar use a competition caution for an actual reason not just because the cars are to spread out?
    2021 race count
    6 events

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLM$peed View Post
    Doesn't Nascar use a competition caution for an actual reason not just because the cars are to spread out?
    I haven't watched in years, but that used to be for checking tire wear or something. "Debris caution" was for bunching the field.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I haven't watched it either. Usually it was for tire wear if they had rain and washed the rubber off the track.
    2021 race count
    6 events

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLM$peed View Post
    Is this a serious question?

They've been using competition cautions due to not having practice, allegedly to check tire wear. NASCAR implemented the "Stages" in order to have an excuse to bunch up the field and attempt to cause more crashes. There's no other reason. That's why there aren't nearly as many "debris" yellows during long green flag runs anymore. NASCAR is the WWE of motorsports, and they like it that way. Look at their YouTube page and the full race uploads. If there's a big crash in a race, there's a good chance that a still image of it will make up the thumbnail. NASCAR isn't about legitimate racing anymore. It's all "entertainment" driven now and borderline made-for-TV. The knock-out "playoff" nonsense is proof of that.

Dirt racing would do well not to implement anything NASCAR has done from September 2003 onwards, when they brought Brian France in as Chairman and CEO.
    Last edited by Shiny Side Up 18; 07-23-2021 at 09:01 PM.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Should be a good race at I 80 tonight with some passing. Dominate cars are not on the pole

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    Should be a good race at I 80 tonight with some passing. Dominate cars are not on the pole
    And booby will be cherry picking avoiding real competition... 😁

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Side Up 18 View Post
    They've been using competition cautions due to not having practice, allegedly to check tire wear. NASCAR implemented the "Stages" in order to have an excuse to bunch up the field and attempt to cause more crashes. There's no other reason. That's why there aren't nearly as many "debris" yellows during long green flag runs anymore. NASCAR is the WWE of motorsports, and they like it that way. Look at their YouTube page and the full race uploads. If there's a big crash in a race, there's a good chance that a still image of it will make up the thumbnail. NASCAR isn't about legitimate racing anymore. It's all "entertainment" driven now and borderline made-for-TV. The knock-out "playoff" nonsense is proof of that.Dirt racing would do well not to implement anything NASCAR has done from September 2003 onwards, when they brought Brian France in as Chairman and CEO.
    You hit the nail on the head with this post ! ! They throw debris flags for a hot dog wrapper paper on the track or green white checkers multiple times to get who they want to win. win and crazy things like that to follow their WWE like script. Just this last race at New Hampshire they threw a darkness flag to end the race only 8 laps from the end because [ word has it } because a minority driver was leading and to let him win would be good for the growth of the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    After last nights flag to flag feature race at I80, I felt kind of bored seeing no race for the lead. Once a DLM gets out front, it's gone. Nobody will be changing the body rules anytime soon so should they impose a competition caution flag on long runs where the field is stretched out just to make it more competitive? Most of the passing these days is on restarts anyway and it would make the racing more interesting than a car getting 6 seconds out front in clean air with no chance of being caught.
    no. No. NO!
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

No, negotiating lapped traffic is usually where most the excitement comes from

Competition flags are you serious absolutely not

i have seen too many absolutely great racing battles ruined by legitimate yellow flags when some back marker has a third solo spin.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

So what you are proposing is that every time Bloomer gets a six second lead, the yellow should be thrown?
    Racenut Rambles on Facebook