Default World’s Shortest Half Mile Clay Track

Rome Speedway

If that’s a half mile then the 525s are running over 130MPH laps. Don’t think so.

Nice facility and it’s on my bucket list.

Almost every dirt track lies about their size. Rome is just the most egregious case of it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

i raced there last year. batesville seemed bigger to me when we used to race out there and they dont even claim 1/2

The racing groove is close to 1/3 mile.

Batesville is a little bigger, not much.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 07-26-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Sycamore used to claim that track is a 1/2 mi. Maybe they still do... I know they still call thier sportsman type car a "super late model" lol.

I always looked at their claims to be false advertisements. It is what it is... Sycamore is a great track but it sure ain't no 1/2 mile and they need to call a spade a spade... 😉

You can actually get some fairly close measurements on Google Earth. I measured it at 3/8-mile a few feet from the wall, about the same size as Dixie.

CW had a thread on here long ago that measured tracks from satellite. Intresting conclusions on the true size of tracks...

If you measure Sycamore in the black groove that shows on Google earth right now it measures .26 Long ways from a half

Quote Originally Posted by BloomerWon View Post
    CW had a thread on here long ago that measured tracks from satellite. Intresting conclusions on the true size of tracks...
    There is website that’s name escapes me right now that has true track measurements for all kinds of race tracks, from road courses all the way through quarter midget tracks. According to that site, almost all of the half miles in dirt racing really aren’t really half miles.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Wythe is one of the few that is.

All I ever heard was how fast it was. Went there for a 525 race and had to put in a 5.88. I ran 5.72 at eams if that tells you anything.

Lying about size is covering for inadequacy lol, but advertising supers when there not is bs...

It's not perfectly exact but pretty close. I measured Rome on Google Pro and came up with 1980 feet on the very outside of the track.

I tried to attach a pic but it appears that the function is now not working on 4m anymore? Just tried another track and it still works. My Rome pic must not be compressed enough to work on 4M.

Anyway 1980 feet is exactly 3/8 of a mile. and that is on the very outside edge of the wall of the track.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 07-27-2021 at 04:46 PM.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

A few years ago Kelly Carlton posted that he had measured, and Rome was a half-mile. I'd believe KC before any other poster on 4m.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    A few years ago Kelly Carlton posted that he had measured, and Rome was a half-mile. I'd believe KC before any other poster on 4m.
    It might make it if you measure just outside the outside wall.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

We measured it with a roller wheel. It was 2530 some odd feet at the outside wall. There is a video somewhere of us doing it. Is it a perfect measurement? No. But I went and bought the wheel at Lowes on my way to Rome so its close. I am not sure what the big deal is. I am sure that when it was built someone just paced it off and went off of that.

You can tell by the video Floracing produced when Chet walks up to Rome, it's nowhere near a half mile.

I rechecked it and came up with 1980 feet again. I tried to use what appeared to be the very outside bounderies of the track...
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 07-27-2021 at 04:53 PM.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Based on measurements on Google Earth around the outside wall or top of the banking, Rome measures nearly identical to other 3/8-mile tracks such as Batesville Motor Speedway and Lucas Oil Speedway. Batesville has shorter straights and longer turns. Cedar Lake Speedway and Atomic Speedway are a touch under the claimed 3/8- and a touch over 1/3-mile. Sycamore is between 3/10- and 1/3-mile with long straights and tighter corners.

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    We measured it with a roller wheel. It was 2530 some odd feet at the outside wall.
    Assuming you are talking about Rome, somebody needs a refund on the defective wheel.