Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default No more signaling in WoO?

Noticed in Cade Dillard's Victory Lane interview at Outagamie he said the following.

"As of tonight, they wouldn't let us signal"

Curious to everyone's thoughts on this. I've often thought it would make for better racing to leave it all in the driver's hands. Is there a release from WoO on this? I did a quick search but didn't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman85 View Post
    Noticed in Cade Dillard's Victory Lane interview at Outagamie he said the following.

Curious to everyone's thoughts on this. I've often thought it would make for better racing to leave it all in the driver's hands. Is there a release from WoO on this? I did a quick search but didn't find anything.
    I would guess it was a reaction to Kyle Larson saying used the screen to see where Pierce was to block him if need be. only thing I can think that would trigger such an immediate change like that. Brent Larson commented on it after his heat race too. Didn't sound like any of them saw it coming and he seemed to be mixed on it. It used to be that way and then all the sudden, everyone had someone with sticks it lights telling them where to run.

Is it probably safer and a better option? Sure. However I think its putting more into the drivers hands which I'm all for. Might make for some more interesting races and maybe even more passing since guys won't know when/where to run and block.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman85 View Post

Oh no! Does that mean the podcast called Stick Signals will be changed too?

Majority of the guys use signals, there are very few that don't. Larson being one, and I never have seen one of marlars guys giving him signals. This will probably ruffle some guys feathers if I had to guess. Using the tv screen to see where the car behind you is probably tough at some places, depending on the location of the screen of course.

Ryan Gustin's crew guy has sticks that are every bit of 4 ft long. I find it comical at times watching those guys swing those things around.

Lucas oil speedway's big screen is easy to see going down the back stretch and watch who's behind you, tons of drivers do it there.

Silly rule to instate, too easy to circumvent so they shouldn't even bother.
    Get two of your family members in orange/pink/neon shirts and have them stand next to each in a designated spot. Way easier to see than 2 sticks. Lean up against each other, take a step away from each other or 2 or 3 steps, etc... How you gonna enforce that?
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.

Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaf67 View Post
    Silly rule to instate, too easy to circumvent so they shouldn't even bother.
    Get two of your family members in orange/pink/neon shirts and have them stand next to each in a designated spot. Way easier to see than 2 sticks. Lean up against each other, take a step away from each other or 2 or 3 steps, etc... How you gonna enforce that?
    Part of the reason I'm curious to see an official release or whatever from WoO regarding this. The exact wording to how far they're going would be interesting to see. I'd still take the above over the dozens of different glow sticks blinking, flashing, or whatever all around the track.

in the beginning it was probably basic stuff but now its just silly the sticks and signals some of these guys use during a race. itd be hard to police but id like to see them go away

might as well use radios and add mirrors.

Steve Drake signaled Billy at every track imaginable and used only his forearm and two fingers.
    I'm guessing radios are in use by a lot of teams already, some guys throw blocks pretty fast to be looking at signal sticks.
    The painted billiard sticks have become almost comical.
    Now maybe Bob Pierce wont be blocking the view of fans in the bottom rows.

This should have been done years ago. Hopefully, they and other series/tracks will do this as well.

Every driver out there has used scoreboards or big screens when available. They'd be stupid not to.I think radios are illegal.

Idea<<<<If UMP bans sticksI will be the first to take sticks up to the fence and signal Bobby Pierce...Disqualify him...LOL
    We build fast race cars,,not race cars fast!

It’ll be interesting to see if this will affect the video screens. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow. Cedar Lake has two giant video screens in 1&2. The one closer to turn 1 usually runs the scoring while the other is usually the race broadcast. I’m sure all the drivers look at it at times going down the front straightaway.

I really wonder how effective the sticks are for signaling drivers. The drivers don't need the distraction of looking for someone with sticks while racing. The driver needs to be 100 percent focused on the track and looking for the best place to run to get the best traction. Really , how many drivers really look for sticks to tell them where to run ?

Back in the early 90's we hid a radio in the car and two crew guys had them at different parts of the track. This was in Nascar's heyday and we really thought we had an edge with the clever hiding place in the car (and the way we hid the wiring for the ear plugs). With the smaller size of the bullrings within 3-4 hours of Central KY, they were absolutely useless and (way) more of a distraction for the driver. A track would have to be AT LEAST a half mile to even use them, and I still don't think they'd help the driver. The only time we could really communicate with him was under yellow and even then we could only tell him what he already knew. We abandoned the idea after about 3 races, so I'm like Mod Runner, I can't see sticks or radios being that much of a help.

[QUOTE=backspace;2405064]Idea
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Just allow radios again like the late 90's early 2000s. Some of the blocking that goes on today, you can't tell me some guys don't have hidden ones. All you need is a second raceiever.

[QUOTE=backspace;2405064]Idea
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels