Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dixie Speedway?

Default Dixie Speedway?

Has anyone been to Dixie Speedway recently or know why it has kind of fallen off the face of the dirt late model world?I haven’t heard anything about it in a long time. Always thought it would be a really cool track to visit when I was younger due to all of the Hav A Tampa history, but it seems like they don’t even host major series races anymore.Would it still be worth checking out?

The Dixie shootout has the Lucas Oil series in town ever year. Racing isn’t as good because they literally qualify EVERY class for weekly shows.

Slowly they are dropping the "Dixie" and becoming "The Red
    Clay track in Woodstock". Mike's son i slowly moving up the management pole - and hopefully will be a better promoter.

Went there in May for the Spring Nationals race, there was a big crowd, food was great, racing was terrible. Looked like they dumped 5 loads of water on the top of a rock hard surface and said roll with it. Lined up and rode around the bottom. Just no effort for track prep anymore. It's sad.

When they started being ashamed of the name and fan base that built them I kind of quit caring about them.

My $0.02. I think it's a battle among Mickey, Mia, and Chase. Some like some things and ways, others like others. Dixie's days are numbered, in many ways! It pains me greatly! The Swims long term racing future is in Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by RayCook53fan View Post
    Looked like they dumped 5 loads of water on the top of a rock hard surface and said roll with it. Lined up and rode around the bottom. Just no effort for track prep anymore. It's sad.
    I've seen a lot of this lately at a lot of different tracks, even from promoters that normally prep a good track. Why is this becoming more common? I hate to see it.

I’ve been to Dixie maybe 7 or 8 times — but it’s been spread out over several decades. First time in the late 80’s. Then a couple times in the 90’s, a couple times in the 00’s, and now a couple times since I moved to GA a few years ago. This is my take.

My first trip(s) here, it felt like the track was out in the sticks. Over the years, it has become much less country, and more surrounded by commercial growth. Now it feels like it almost feels like it sits next to the interstate. It’s being swallowed up. That’s problem number one. Then you consider the racing. For Supers, red clay was cool in the 80’s. That’s changed too. It’s almost impossible to find a red clay track that produces great DLM racing now. Lots of things are hurting Dixie.

Is there a good red clay surface in the entire country?

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    Bloomington Speedway in Indiana consistently hosts very good racing on a surface of red clay.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Bloomington Speedway in Indiana consistently hosts very good racing on a surface of red clay.
    Maybe I should have said southern red clay?

What track would most people agree is the best surface in the south? Mag? Senoia? I believe they're more gumbo than anything.

Tri County
    Whynot
    Talladega
    I75

Quote Originally Posted by B_K View Post
    Tri County
    Whynot
    Talladega
    I75
    Those are solid for sure. Whynot probably the best IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    the bullring in columbus, ms was hard to beat when stokes had it. whynot races pretty well present day. its the track prep and formats in the south that hurts the racing more than the surface. qualifying for feature position with minimal track prep is not a good combo

Quote Originally Posted by riddle28 View Post
    the bullring in columbus, ms was hard to beat when stokes had it. whynot races pretty well present day. its the track prep and formats in the south that hurts the racing more than the surface. qualifying for feature position with minimal track prep is not a good combo
    Early 2000’s Columbus was great and had a fantastic atmosphere for big shows.

I’m fine with qualifying your top two classes. Everyone else draws for heats.

Promoters have been held hostage by drivers that refuse to run heats. With so many tracks in East Tennessee, they're afraid they'll leave for a neighboring track. In a place like Dixie, there's not much competition. So where are they going to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Illstate32 View Post
    Bristol had as red of clay you can get, or at least it was on my tv screen.
    I said good red clay. I think it's too early to tell if Bristol had good clay, the first dirt race they had was just super hammer down for lates.

Screven has some real good racing on theirs.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by MRM View Post
    Promoters have been held hostage by drivers that refuse to run heats. With so many tracks in East Tennessee, they're afraid they'll leave for a neighboring track. In a place like Dixie, there's not much competition. So where are they going to go?
    Where are they gonna go? Senoia, North Georgia speedway, West Georgia Speedway, TST isn’t that far.

Senoia is the main reason Dixie did away with the spin wheel and started qualifying Crate and Limited. Senoia qualified theses classes so drivers started going there when they had to do heat races at Dixie. Not too long ago, only Supers qualified and then spun the wheel for invert. Wheel jus sits there collecting dust now when they do run Supers.

Senoia isn’t purely gumbo as it once was. I’m told the new owners have been mixing in other dirt. I even noticed in a recent visit that is not nearly as gray in color as it once was.