Thread: New Day

Default New Day

very sorry to see no new posts in over a month
    FB is taking over without a doubt and that is sad

I am guilty of not checking in but we have been absolutely slammed with work and testing

how about some new conversation?---

just a spark for conversation---what are you guys doing for spark plugs?
    we have sold the NGK -8 for ever but they are completely out of stock everywhere that I have checked---so we moved into the iridium world ---and so far we have no regrets

I am not married to NGK so if you have a plug to talk about let's hear about it

Oil is another tuff item right now---chime in please with suppliers

Brad
    www.race-1.com

We have had no problem getting the ngk's locally lately... Always been curious about the e3 spark plugs? And as for oil what is wrong with the Mobil 1 15-50? It's always in stock at my local Walmart and is less than $40 to do a oil change..

Good, bad or indifferent: You do know the Mobil 1 sold at Walmart is a different oil then normal Mobil one, Right?

Look on the bottle, it says something along the lines "Made specifically for Walmart" or something similar

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Good, bad or indifferent: You do know the Mobil 1 sold at Walmart is a different oil then normal Mobil one, Right?

Look on the bottle, it says something along the lines "Made specifically for Walmart" or something similar

I have never seen lab results... But there are many discussions on the matter and most result in saying it's the same oil... But I honestly don't know. I haven't had an issue in the 4 seasons I have used it... The way you make it sound it must be something wrong with it? I will change brands if so... What have you found Brad?

I brought it up, because some people don't know and some believe there is a big difference in the oil. True or untrue, I can't say as I don't use Walmart oil so never needed to actually dig and see if there is.

I can tell you however from spintron testing that oil weight and more importantly the centistoke of an oil has a large effect on the lifters and how they bleed or pump up during valve loft, max load, and etc.

I have heard heavier weight oil stays in the lifters longer and helps throttle response. I used to run 20w 50 for that reason but was later introduced to the Mobil 1 and never looked back. I do know we have run it in many new and old flat tappet motors and the cams hold up without any additives... From my research it has more zddp than most advertised race oils... It has not proved me wrong yet! Lol ( famous last words). Would be interested in some lab or Dyno results compared to much more expensive oils...
    Last edited by dirtslinger71; 08-13-2021 at 09:43 PM.

here is my 2 cents on the Mobil 1

when we started this crate stuff back many moons ago---the sticker on the oil pan said to use 15/50 mobil 1
    this engine concept was all new to us so we recommended what GM did (Mobil 1)

If you remember back in those early years (05-06-07) you could buy Mobil 1 at Walmart in a jug (I can't remember if it was 4 or 5 quart jug but a jug)---then somewhere around 09 or so you could only buy it in quart sizes and
    that went on for a few years ----then all of a sudden it came back to Walmart (2014 ish) in the jug

we had no issues in the early years but when the jug size containers came back we noticed considerable ring wear.
    We did not and do not have failures from bearings or valve train but it does seem like the rings wear quicker on the new era of Mobil 1

let me ask you this dirt slinger-----when you change your oil is there about 3/4 of an inch of gooy smeary stuff on your drain plug?-----that is rings

I am not calling it a bad oil just an observation

Brad
    www.race-1.com

I change oil every 2 or 3 races depending on if the engine ran warmer than normal due to track conditions... And yes it's always a little bit of ring material on the magnet but don't think it is any more than we would see in our wet sump built engines... Not 3/4 of an inch but yes definitely ring sludge... I do occasionally put a anti friction additive in the oil but not every oil change. Maybe that could be helping?...

I am definitely not a fan of oil additives
    here is a video from one our associates that addresses additives
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfZiBFfCrMU

That is very interesting. I never really thought about the chemicals not jiving together... So I just need a pint glass, my oil, and additive... Stir it together and see if it doesn't react like water and oil! 😂

the old delo 400 before the LE version was the best oil we ever ran in flat tappet engines , its gone now , we currently use schafer racing oil in our flat tappets , however a friend that is a big oil company rep told me to take any of the shelf oil and dump a bottle of lucas zinc additive in it and its just as good , in full roller engines , we only run synthetic now....