Thread: Gustin&thorton

Default Gustin&thorton

do you think they will both be in a LM next year? i think thornton misses mod racing as does gustin

I’ll bite…
    I have no idea what RTJ’s situation is with crew help. If he doesn’t have a ton of help, then I would wonder if the amount of prep work involved with racing SLM (competitively at the Lucas Oil level) vs Mods (even at the USMTS level) is what would be the difference maker? Not to mention, that USMTS national points fund ain’t to shabby this year.

Gustin will only go as far in late models as Tri-Star Engines (Sponsor) will take him. If that sponsor goes away I think he goes back to modifieds.

Pretty sure Throton just moved closer to SSI shop very recently.

From past interviews, it seems Ricky wants to make this late model deal work. He's too good not to be in DLM's full time.

Gustin has always been at the mercy of a sponsor, that family has been broke because of racing for 3 generations. They are AWESOME people and talents but spend it all on the track from what I can tell.

He had Gressel, which went sour for whatever reason, then pieced it all together for a while before this deal. I can see him sticking with the SLM deal for a while as long as he can find a backer. He probably couldn't swing USMTS on his own dime either and he's never raced the local IMCA stuff for any period of time either.

I am curious if RTJ and SSI still have in their plans to develop the Dark Horse Chassis. Both very talented drivers and I hope they can make this work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bforwarned View Post
    I am curious if RTJ and SSI still have in their plans to develop the Dark Horse Chassis. Both very talented drivers and I hope they can make this work.
    That was Taylons deal I believe. Ssi just hired Anthony burroughs

Ricky has his house in Iowa for sale & is planning on moving closer to SSI. My belief is that Burns will stand behind Ricky as long as he continues to run competitively.

Must be something changed because awhile back it sounded like SSI and rtj were parting ways and SSI closing up
    2021 race count
    6 events