Thread: Crank repair

Default Crank repair

Have a callies billet crankshaft damaged on one throw and i am thinking of sending it to Shaftech. anybody running a repaired crank in a high horsepower engine?

we have many times , I dont know where you are located but there is a shop in Ft Payne , AL , that has been repairing mine for years and never had a problem , it,s called Prater Machine , small operation but Willie is second to none....jmo...

Quote Originally Posted by MODDAD View Post
    Have a callies billet crankshaft damaged on one throw and i am thinking of sending it to Shaftech. anybody running a repaired crank in a high horsepower engine?
    No idea on shaftech but here are 3 that come highly recommended, some I've seen there work (#1 and #2) and others I have not just going on reputation (#3)

#1 Moldex crankshaft
    12255 Wormer Rd, Redford, Michigan, 48239, United States
    (313) 561-7676

#2 Mile high cranks
    888 S Lipan St, Denver, CO 80223
    (303) 781-6764

#3 Ro-Dy Machining
    860 N Holbrook St.
    Plymouth, MI 48170
    (734) 459-9335

Moldex would be my first choice on a expensive crank as they can do heat treat and hardening that others can't do or won't, but mile high does extremely good work. Expect long turn around times with moldex and mile high is usually swamped too. Not sure of what type of damage your talking about but if it needs welded to be repaired, moldex is my recommendation

Default crank repair

I am retired from an engine shop that built mostly sprint car engines and the owner absolutely wouldn't use a crank that had been welded on. That is why i asked about other peoples experiences. Crank definetly needs welded on. Callies recomends Shaftech and we had cranks sent there but never welded. Brand new [5 LAPS] billet crank

Quote Originally Posted by MODDAD View Post
    I am retired from an engine shop that built mostly sprint car engines and the owner absolutely wouldn't use a crank that had been welded on. That is why i asked about other peoples experiences. Crank definetly needs welded on. Callies recomends Shaftech and we had cranks sent there but never welded. Brand new [5 LAPS] billet crank
    I asked a friend that works at Hendricks what he thought on running a welded crank, his response (obviously not talking about their cup motors, but general racing):

I've ran plenty of welded cranks over the years. If the crank is a nice piece like a Bryant or similar good crank to begin with and isn't cracked and is repaired by a competent shop then it will be fine in all but the most extreme cases.

The question is would it be worth fixing? if it's a high dollar quality crank then Yes it's worth it but if it's an eagle or cheaper crank then it's usually better to just replace it for slightly more money

PS, I did do a little checking and shaftech seems to have a good reputation and quick turn around so . . . shrugs

i agree with your friend from hendricks , we did send a repaired crank to Mississippi to be nitrated one time after repair because the rest of the crank was , but for the average sat night racer , it really is not worth it , the guy that did the procedure said the reason the cup engines are nitrated is if the engine looses oil pressure toward the end of the race , it will hold up a little longer but for what we were doing , he said there was really no benefit , we just micro polish them real good and put them in .....jmo