Thread: Brake Packages

Default Brake Packages

Anything new in the brake rotor and pad world? About to put a new package on a dirt late model. What pads and rotors are we running?

Also interested. Coming from asphalt to dirt racing. I’ve seen some small rotors on dirt late models, 0.375, but can’t find much out there on them (besides TBM). Who is making the rotors, the calipers, and how well are they working? We are looking to shed some weight and converting our current car to a package like that would help…just don’t know who to call and where to buy.

I guess nobody runs brakes anymore. I guess with all the new technology the car must be built safer to protect the large nuts everyone has for not running brakes….

We still run 1.25" because our car is old and we spent our money elsewhere. 0.81" is the common rotor now. If you want .35 to .38 flat plate stuff, look at brakes geared toward drag racing. Heat will be an issue, I wouldn't recommend.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I still run 1.25" rotors, the most standard pad Wilwood makes (I don't remember the part number, but nothing fancy), Wilwood calipers, and Dot-4 fluid off the shelf at Walmart. I like to think my brakes work just fine, but I'm also not out there winning races. One thing I changed the past two years is leaving my RF shut off all the time.

We use so much rear brake, that skimping on brakes isn't a great idea unless you run somewhere you don't use much brake.

When you get to the light weight rotors, there just isn't enough mass to the rotor to deal with the heat. They will heat up fast and your likely to lose brakes pretty quickly.

If you looking for a light rotor, look at the Willwood super alloy .810 rotors they are about 4.5# and hold up really well. However they will run about 200 degrees hotter then a normal rotor and you feel it the minute you take the rear wheels off, you won't be able to touch the wheel or lugs without a glove on (I'm serious). They do take the heat well and don't crack, but they can glow and fade if you use too much brake.

Most are using rotors that far exceed 8# on the rear, the light rotors are fine for the most part on front.

And advice on pads? I think we just went to BP30s all the way around what we had was old and not good compounds he felt like car wouldn’t stop well

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    We use so much rear brake, that skimping on brakes isn't a great idea unless you run somewhere you don't use much brake.

When you get to the light weight rotors, there just isn't enough mass to the rotor to deal with the heat. They will heat up fast and your likely to lose brakes pretty quickly.

If you looking for a light rotor, look at the Willwood super alloy .810 rotors they are about 4.5# and hold up really well. However they will run about 200 degrees hotter then a normal rotor and you feel it the minute you take the rear wheels off, you won't be able to touch the wheel or lugs without a glove on (I'm serious). They do take the heat well and don't crack, but they can glow and fade if you use too much brake.

Most are using rotors that far exceed 8# on the rear, the light rotors are fine for the most part on front.

BP-40 is the most common, I think.

Not sure they even still make this pad, but I liked the Polymatrix E pad myself. Decent brake when cold and still good hot. With some pads, I had to ride the brake on the parade lap to warm them up or felt like I had no brake in first corner.