Default Get out-of-the-way!

A few years ago at North Alabama Speedway when they ran SLMs, there was a race where #1 and #2 (outside of him) cars had ran upon the last place car which was running on the bottom. The #1 car ran up behind the last place car, thus #1 being pinned in, on the front straight away, with #2 next to him. The #1 car pushed the last place car out of the way and spun the last place car out into the infield. A caution was called on the last place car. Some tracks have a move-over rule to move to the inside or outside when flagged, in this case, I think the move-over rule was to stay on the bottom (don't know if he was flagged). What rights does the lead car have to clear traffic? What about some tracks having a no-contact rule now, so, what rights does the lead car have in that situation? Lose his lead to the #2nd place car who is not penned in. In simple words, a no-contact rule can easily change the race outcome. And that is why I'm thinking that tracks now mostly have a move-to-the-outside/no-contact rule for safety so the lead car does not have to push others out of the way and can't get trapped, not losing his rights as a lead car. That is why I'm seeing everybody in the front mostly stay on the bottom (or follow the leader) these days when nearing lap cars thus making more races bottom feeding events. Some slower ones won't move out of the way which makes racing at it's best; opps, not suppose to say that; that is supporting rule breaking. Opinions on no-contact rule and the move-over rule.

Lap cars need to hold their line and faster cars will get around them

Depending on the track most know where the fast line will probably be. If that assumption is consistent, that can be addressed in the drivers meeting as to where slower cars should go and if it ain't your race, you honor that.

Some of this is on the flagman too. The flagman can see best what is happening on the track show the move over flag with some direction.

Now, I'm a believer that a car about to go a lap down has every right to fight to try and stay on that lap, to a point. If you're getting lapped in a heat race or B-main, it ain't gonna be your day. If you are reasonably fast yet and it is a long feature, staying on the lead lap is golden if there are cautions and attrition.

Not sure that I like seeing someone get dialed just because the leader came upon them, especially if they are where they are supposed to be. If they were literally driving in the way for a while and shown the flag, maybe then a lesson is in order.

I seen something awful in a consi at Cedar Lake. A driver who probably didn't belong in the same group with the open motor cars was shown the move over, got down low, then position 1 and 2 went by. As position 3 was going by the driver made a dart toward the pits crossing the fast lane and collected position 3 in the process. Position 3 was still a transfer spot and it ruined Ryan Unzicker's chances of getting in the big show. I felt terrible for Ryan Unzicker as did a whole lot of fans, but probably not as bad as Ryan and his crew.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

So it begs the question, if the lapped car does not obey the flagman, should the contact rule be ignored (if part of the rules which most tracks impose for safety) allowing the leader to take out the slow car if the leader can't get around (possible track conditions) allowing the others behind the leader to bunch up? This gets important on the last lap to the finish dash, and under a caution/white flag, anything goes. I have seen very few flags thrown, letting it work itself out which makes racing fun, but not fair to some in the lead (it's racin'); according to the rules set forth by the track, if other drivers don't obey them having a major impact on the out come. We have all witnessed that, the nail bite'n finishes.
    Last edited by NorthAlabama; 08-25-2021 at 08:02 PM.