Default Ignition boxes banned

Hard to believe there's no thread yet about WOO and Dirtcar banning certain ignition boxes that are supposedly programmable via a laptop.

Casey shuman says this has been a rule since the beginning of the year.

What's there to say? Once again, they are busy with things that don't matter while the bodies make for expensive, horrible racing. You can make a timing curve the easy way with numbers in a box, or the hard way with springs, linkages, and weights. You want to really disadvantage people, let Rumley build a distributor device.

Now some of these boxes do have a way to limit RPM gain. This does work as a primitive TC. Maybe they should have outlawed those, but there is nothing wrong, and actually easier, to have a digital timing curve.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Is the racing really horrible though? Why does it always seem like I'm the only who remembers the freight train 90s cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    Is the racing really horrible though? Why does it always seem like I'm the only who remembers the freight train 90s cars.
    You mean fright train tracks. There was no aero push where a guy can't approach the leader from behind. They didn't need as much HP, so more could afford them.

I miss the days of passing on corner exit and two cars racing side by side for a whole lap, not meeting up in the corner when one dive bombs in there for a second.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

If you can't beat 'em, ban 'em!

Rose colored glasses are rampant in dirt racing. We’re all guilty of it from time to time.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Straight up starts doesn’t help anything
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Not an expert but I have heard folks say if you don’t have a $50K wide bore at Eldora, you’re going to get run over.

Because of the track of your name ? Watching the races at Pennsboro ? Or the daytime races at Hagerstown where you could go grab lunch at lap 39 and come back at lap 78 and all of the same cars would be in all of the same spots when you left. Back then the daytime shows didn't offer up much excitement. LOL
    Last edited by Raceready; 09-02-2021 at 05:41 PM.

I get they added the MSD 7 box, because he has slew rate. The other boxes doesn't make a ton of sense as they only allow to digitally set the timing curve you would do old school with the distributor with the weights and springs, now granted you can retard or advance timing at any RPM much easier then with the dizzy. Those other 6 boxes have no slew rate capability.

Those that don't know what SLEW rate is: In layman's terms (overly simplistic explanation) It allows you to set a certain limit to the rate of acceleration, say 600 RPM if the engine accelerates faster then that it will restrict the engine from doing so by reducing power by pulling timing or a variety of other things. This is the basic principle that the Davis traction control works off of, if the engine climbs RPM too fast (spinning wheels) it reduces timing to kill power and try to hook engine back up.

Now that 7 box has been around for the early 2000's and actually way earlier just wasn't advertised as something the boxes could do. They are 20 years too late, lol.

I also didn't or haven't looked to see if the power grid add on is actually illegal also, you can add that to most boxes and add slew rate and other features.

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    Because of the track of your name ? Watching the races at Pennsboro ? Or the daytime races at Hagerstown where you could go grab lunch at lap 39 and come back at lap 78 and the same cars would be in the same spots when you left. Back then the daytime shows didn't offer up much excitement. LOL
    Day time, night time. Didn’t matter. I’ve realized a lot of you old guys have bad memories.

Which one was Overton using at Eldora?
    2021 race count
    6 events

Pennsboro 32 ; Those were the days but we were happy. Nobody whined about the track too rough, too dusty, rough cut lumber bleachers, sound system, lighting, etc. We were just happy to be there and rolled with the punches. I cant imagine the newer generation stepping into a toilet at Pennsboro and seeing the poop stacked up 10 inches over the top of the seat. They probably would be vomiting so hard that they wouldn't even be able to send a pic out over social media ! LOL !

I'm not that old. I remember clearly when cars could race close to each other.

I also remember watching the first time I saw an aero push. It was Brandon Sheppard at Golden Isles. I can't remember the year though. Maybe 15 or 16.

I've also seen our own car go from winning to losing to winning again with only a body change after the losing started.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 09-02-2021 at 07:16 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    I get they added the MSD 7 box, because he has slew rate. The other boxes doesn't make a ton of sense as they only allow to digitally set the timing curve you would do old school with the distributor with the weights and springs, now granted you can retard or advance timing at any RPM much easier then with the dizzy. Those other 6 boxes have no slew rate capability.

Those that don't know what SLEW rate is: In layman's terms (overly simplistic explanation) It allows you to set a certain limit to the rate of acceleration, say 600 RPM if the engine accelerates faster then that it will restrict the engine from doing so by reducing power by pulling timing or a variety of other things. This is the basic principle that the Davis traction control works off of, if the engine climbs RPM too fast (spinning wheels) it reduces timing to kill power and try to hook engine back up.

Now that 7 box has been around for the early 2000's and actually way earlier just wasn't advertised as something the boxes could do. They are 20 years too late, lol.

I also didn't or haven't looked to see if the power grid add on is actually illegal also, you can add that to most boxes and add slew rate and other features.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I'm not that old. I remember clearly when cars could race close to each other.

I also remember watching the first time I saw an aero push. It was Brandon Sheppard at Golden Isles. I can't remember the year though. Maybe 15 or 16.

I've also seen our own car go from winning to losing to winning again with only a body change after the losing started.
    A couple of good post from these two guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Illstate32 View Post
    Man! Where the hell would we be without you pionting this stuff out to us ? 
    I Imagine you would be on the top row in turn one yelling go Bloomer go all the while looking lost lol.

they been using Msd ignition for a very long time trying to stay ahead of the game i don't know how they can call them illegal digital timing has been out since 1996 all they did was jump from 6al to 7 what is all the fuss about yes they can program them but if u make the wrong move your going to know it they are just staying up with technology.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    i imagine you would be on the top row in turn one yelling go bloomer go all the while looking lost lol.
    lolololololololol ! ! ! !