Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Late Models DONE at Florence Speedway

Just saw where the Super Late Models are done at Florence. Citing low car counts as a reason why. They have said that the classes will be Crate Late Model, Modified, Sports Modified, and Compacts. They are getting 15 to 16 Crates and only 8 or 9 Super Lates. This is a sad day. Yet Oakshade has gotten 24 to 35 Super Lates a night.

Quote Originally Posted by latemodelman View Post
    Just saw where the Super Late Models are done at Florence. Citing low car counts as a reason why. They have said that the classes will be Crate Late Model, Modified, Sports Modified, and Compacts. They are getting 15 to 16 Crates and only 8 or 9 Super Lates. This is a sad day. Yet Oakshade has gotten 24 to 35 Super Lates a night.
    The Late Models are scheduled September 30th.

https://florencespeedway.com/events/...g-of-compacts/

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Florence and Oakshade. Two entirely different racer bases and levels of equipment required.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Paying 2 thousand to win on a half mile track want get it you got to get up or get out.

They also forced you to run a hard-to-get spec rr tire during a tire shortage.

They killed their supers with the crate class and it seems all the teams there are guys that won't race unless they can bring a Lucas level machine to the track to race for that $2k.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

florence will still have probably 10 plus late model specials next year. north/south. lathem. spring and fall 50. maybe 2 more flo races again. usually a couple of 5k and 3k races. just no weekly.

Where is this announcement because it’s not on fb

All I found was a comment from Florence in a thread about this weekend's event omitting SLM. It was a comment kinda admitting fans should expect more of the same. There may be something else, but that is all I saw.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I'm sure there are many reasons. As a fan looking at schedules trying to decide which race to attend, I see too many "local" tracks running Saturday and maybe fewer super lates running. That might not be a problem normally but this year it seems there is always one of those tracks hosting a $5k to $20k event and that will draw most of the cars. I say "local" because I think drivers are willing to drive alot farther nowadays than they did a few years ago. Also, I don't think $1500 or $2000 for normal show is really going to cut it anymore, going to have to bump it to $3000 to have more than 8 cars.

I see no reason that tracks should be trying to run super late models weekly. Promoters know that supers bring fans but that only applies when a show is lucrative enough to draw cars from around the whole region. They can't justify paying more purse when you know fans and the "drawing" cars are gonna be somewhere 1-2 hours away at a higher paying race.You do have some tracks that think you have to run 6 classes every week which just makes it hard on everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox28 View Post
    I see no reason that tracks should be trying to run super late models weekly. Promoters know that supers bring fans but that only applies when a show is lucrative enough to draw cars from around the whole region. They can't justify paying more purse when you know fans and the "drawing" cars are gonna be somewhere 1-2 hours away at a higher paying race.You do have some tracks that think you have to run 6 classes every week which just makes it hard on everyone
    Sounds like you are telling us 6 classes and a bunch of pit pass sales is the answer? SLM is the fan draw, but you can't run them cause the days of Brownstown, Portsmouth, Florence, KC/Atomic, and every other track having their own cars is over?

The people that go to watch crates and feeder classes are the driver's families. These late models have too much grip and down force. Put a 400 hp engine in it? Yawn.

The fact is, some of those tracks above offer a more enticing venue for guys who still like to get their SLM out of the garage and actually race it. It's not like no track can run them.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 09-19-2021 at 09:45 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by latemodelman View Post
    Yeah, but some of them are like the 90 that was at Atomic Saturday. 2 seconds plus off the pace.

I get not running them weekly sadly. Unless you’re going to pay around $3k to win, $250-$300 to start, and pull 20 plus, not worth it. And there’s so many specials and series anymore, hard to get a consistently good car count.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

To me, track size is also killing slm racing. These big half mile tracks take a lot of HP to get around and be competitive. For what, 1500 to win, owners will let them sit for that kind of purse. Can you blame them ? I don't think so. Never been there but for the summer nationals how many of those tracks are bullrings ? Sure you may bend up some body panels but there a lot cheaper than hurting a motor. I'm sure someone knows, the summer nats don't seem to be lacking for cars or quality.

Florence is not a big half mile.

CnB,

90 was only about a second off the pace in the feature. And at least he was out there racing. That's better than the guys with a new Longhorn and a new Durham who pull their car out 10 times a year to run a half second faster than him.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

There is a expanded purse every week at surrounding tracks to Florence. This is to be expected. Hate to see it, but the old days are over unfortunately. As was mentioned, Florence will run several LM shows next year, just not weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Florence is not a big half mile.
    Indeed it's not. And, it can actually be budget friendly if the top isn't hammer down and you could run a rr tire that wasn't expensive and trash after a couple heat cycles.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

the problem started when latemodels had the word super added. the big touring series will be all that is around in a few years and even their numbers will dwindle down in car counts.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    CnB,

90 was only about a second off the pace in the feature. And at least he was out there racing. That's better than the guys with a new Longhorn and a new Durham who pull their car out 10 times a year to run a half second faster than him.
    Man, I know you are no BS. So if you say a second off, ok, he got lapped twice in a 25 lap feature so…

I’d rather a guy not be out there whose very slow and all over the place, than him to be out there and junk a new car.

We both definitely agree that late models are outta control on bodies, motors, and most other things.

My brother raced Atomic Saturday and he was out motored in qualifying and his heat. He just has a 400, making around 600-620. Over this winter now that he’s traveling more, he’s going to bump it up quite a bit. It was his first trip to Atomic and he learned some stuff. He wasn’t quite experienced enough for the high banks of Atomic and ripping the cushion and having wheel spin.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

But he qualified in the top half, 3rd in Wisecarvers heat, and finished I think 14th. And car was in one piece. Right up there with the toughest field he’s ever competed with.