Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Infield tires at Portsmouth

Can someone tell me what sense it makes to have these giant tires all around the bottom of the track? To keep people from running the infield chub style allegedly... but a simple dirt berm would suffice and you run below it, DQ’d. 8 cars got collected last night on top of the corn field collecting cars in 1&2I just don’t see the point of having more obstacles to tear stuff up

I assume they put them there after the infamous Billy Drake/Chub Frank duel.

Drake passed Chub in the infield. Chub returned the favor by passing Drake even MORE in the infield.

They put them there to define track limits, whole lot easier than making 'judment calls' on who is low on the track and who is 'off the track'... Not sure on the track conditions and maybe they need to be moved but I get why they are there...

Hopefully they move them out after the first 40 laps of the dtwc. It seems to be trend that PRP can race well up to around that mark.

Speaking of Portsmouth. I would love to go to the dtwc and support a huge event. But I have 0 interest in going to portsmouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlmfan123 View Post
    Speaking of Portsmouth. I would love to go to the dtwc and support a huge event. But I have 0 interest in going to portsmouth.
    Yep............

Quote Originally Posted by JCSullivan00 View Post
    I assume they put them there after the infamous Billy Drake/Chub Frank duel.

Drake passed Chub in the infield. Chub returned the favor by passing Drake even MORE in the infield.
    How often would that happen today if the tracks didn't have them. I know drivers hate them, especially when another driver runs them into one and tears up their car.

Your loss...
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Portsmouth put down new dirt this year. I can say the racing has been very good, even for the larger events. I think they need to do something about the dip that develops going into turn 1. Other than that it seems very good.

Everybody has been saying that for years. It's a shame it's at such a bad racetrack.

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    Everybody has been saying that for years. It's a shame it's at such a bad racetrack.
    We sure miss the good old days of Pennsboro. Oh wait... That last one at Atomic. Oh wait...
    Was it not one of the ones in KY, where they poured oil on the surface?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

The Lucas format lends itself to less exciting races. I’m not sure changing to a different track would help all that much.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I agreed Bayko. Everyone is on the same tires. Fastest in qualifying up front. Where is the movement coming from? I'm tired of the bagging on PRP. Everyone talks about it rubbering last year, yet McCreadie was able to keep up in the top line and lap times didn't improve for the guys on the bottom.

Rubbering is what has happened in most of the recent 100 lappers at Eldora. You smell hot rubber in the air and guys start going 0.3 or more second a lap faster.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Why not use ordinary passenger car tires painted white? Still defines the boundary but not nearly as destructive when hit or run over.

Quote Originally Posted by johnE View Post
    Why not use ordinary passenger car tires painted white? Still defines the boundary but not nearly as destructive when hit or run over.
    Because they would get knocked out of the way in 1 lap, believe it or not we can strategically move those huge tires over a long race without completely destroying the nose. However you miscalculate that and you will end up with a broken nose, front suspension, or spin out.

Interesting reply. Thanks.

There must be some way to safely hold a small tire in place. Maybe link a long arc of them together with rope or jumbo zip ties.

Quote Originally Posted by johnE View Post
    Prp used to have small tires painted white and buried where the tire was standing, with less than half exposed. Seemed like a decent deal to me.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

The small tires can be just as costly, few years ago watched an oil pan get knocked in two- would have been way cheaper to fix a nose or spindle. Each car has a steering wheel, gas pedal, and brake----maybe the drivers could use these to avoid? Does suck when you get knocked into one though...

Cars are going to spin out or be spun out or hit the corn field in the turns and lose control. Demolishing your car against a 1000lb loader tire shouldn’t be punishment for it.

I'm good at catching 1 twice a year at least and narrowly missing a few. We know they're there just set up corner wrong and boom your looking at one. It's the DRIVER'S job to avoid them, period!