Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The last event that I saw at USA Raceway was back in February of 2020 for the Arizona Modified Tour. Jonah (who was the promoter at Arizona Speedway until it closed) had a lease out at USA Raceway and he ran some shows out there. There may have been a race out there after the one I saw, I’m not sure. When I saw his interview with Chet on Flo (during the last event at Arizona Speedway) where he said that he would be back “somewhere” putting on a few bigger events a year, (along with his connection to USA Raceway) I assumed that USA would be a possibility where it might land.

From what I was told a few months back, Benji Lyons past away. I figured that Cocopah would now also be a place in the future that the WWS could be held at.

Brad Whitfield is the General Manager for Cocopah. Benji hadn't been involved in a couple of years.

I think a lot of folks forget that ... Cocopah is (and was) already scheduled to run a separate set of IMCA events during this time. So it was not an option.

We hadn’t been out to Cocopah since November of 2019 and Benji was involved then. I understand that Brad Whitfield is the promoter out at Cocopah and that it has and is currently running the IMCA Winter Nationals out there in January.
    I also know that Brad was a big supporter of SWDRA and SLM racing in the state for a long time. With him being the promoter out at Cocopah, I disagree it is not an option for Cocopah to host the WWS in 2022. Couldn’t he host BOTH events in January of 2022?

*CORRECTION: Host both events in 2023.

Per Chris Kearns the promotor of the WWSO, Cocopah nor any other Arizona racetrack was contacted about hosting the WWSO in 2022. Brad has told me face to face, that he would listen to the possibility of hosting the Shootout in the future. Yes, Cocopah is committed to the IMCA Winter Nationals BUT maybe the dates could change till later in January. I don't know if it could be moved back or not. My gripe was that Kearns & Co. NEVER even considered holding the even anywhere else but VADO. Vado & the Jones family have supported the WWSO for several years. It really feels as though this is Kearns repaying Jones for all his support over the years. It is my opinion & my words only. I hate that the WWSO is not in Arizona. I absolutely love having super late models at my back door. 7-8 hr drive is not acceptable to me & I won't travel that far unless it were for a Crown Jewel. Again, my opinion. I understand why it makes sense for 2022 but beyond that, it should be moved back to Arizona somehow/someway.

The pit area is nowhere near big enough at Cocopah. It's a really nice venue other than that. I've been there twice in the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by formercrewguy View Post
    The pit area is nowhere near big enough at Cocopah. It's a really nice venue other than that. I've been there twice in the last couple years.
    Over 400 cars pre-entered for the IMCA Winter Nationals at Cocopah Speedway. If Brad can get that many cars in his pit area, He would have enough room to hold the shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by formercrewguy View Post
    Add Cade Dillard
    Just saw on Facebook he picked up a new black diamond. Shocked he's gonna run somthing other then a mb custom

Quote Originally Posted by Dlmfan123 View Post
    Just saw on Facebook he picked up a new black diamond. Shocked he's gonna run somthing other then a mb custom
    I saw that also. Is he the new house car driver now?

pretty excited to watch some racing and there's gonna be some stout driver's...

When we unexpectedly found out that Arizona Speedway was closing a year early, we internally evaluated the pros and cons at a total of three possible venues. On several logistical fronts Vado Speedway Park made the most sense. Due to the uniqueness of this event, several factors have to be considered when selecting a location. We hate that you can't join us in person at Vado.

Thanks for your interest in the Wild West Shootout,
    Ben

Rusty Schlenk

Add Jeff Schildmeyer

Add Jake Timm and Terry Phillips

We need Hoosier Dirt Fan! HDF - can you start a new thread or put all these drivers into one post for us?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
    We need Hoosier Dirt Fan! HDF - can you start a new thread or put all these drivers into one post for us?
    I thought about it. But with the Moe, Larry, & Curley (Three Stooges) that ruin darn near every thread on this forum like this one...........

It's hard to talk racing on this forum when you have a couple of idiots that ruin everything they comment on and speak jibberish.

I'll think about it.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1