Default Rigsby Report - "The Iceman" Jimmy Mars

These have been great podcasts. Nick Hoffman and Cody Sommer interviews were great but this one was even better. Give it a listen!

https://soundcloud.com/latemodellive...-23-jimmy-mars

Quote Originally Posted by Tireguy17 View Post
    These have been great podcasts. Nick Hoffman and Cody Sommer interviews were great but this one was even better. Give it a listen!

https://soundcloud.com/latemodellive...-23-jimmy-mars
    100% correct... fantastic listen.

Love how he tells it like it is about Hoosier tire, you should get free tires based on how you finish the race, not because of who you are. Bloomquist stuff was great too.

You can tell Bloomquist makes his blood pressure go up. Definetly one of the better ones they have done. I really liked the one with Bill Frye they done several months ago. I wish someone would confirm or crush the idea of the 4wd race car.

I think the 4WD theory was confirmed before by another competitor (can't remember who) but Mars seems to think he had it for 2 years there as well (96-97).

The year that Frye took out Boggs during the feature at the USA nationals, I believe it was Rick Aukland and Billy Moyer dropped out of the feature. As they stood in the infield (closer to turn one) and watched the race, I remember them watching Frye drive into turn one and just crank the steering wheel to the left and it would just drive around the corner. After a couple of laps, they just looked at each other with this kind of amazed look, like what the heck?

I don’t know if anything was going on with 4 wheel drive or his car was just handling really poorly that night, but I’ll never forget the look that Moyer and Aukland had when they looked at each other and talked about it.

Mars tells it like it is. !00% real. Very cool dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_the_kid View Post
    Mars tells it like it is. !00% real. Very cool dude.
    Sence when did you think "telling it like it is" was so cool, russ ? ? 😁

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    You can tell Bloomquist makes his blood pressure go up. Definetly one of the better ones they have done. I really liked the one with Bill Frye they done several months ago. I wish someone would confirm or crush the idea of the 4wd race car.
    I can confirm that Bill, did in fact have a 3 - 4 wheel drive car. He still has it as far as I know and it was ran least once after the infamous dream incident with Bloomer many years later.

He and Bloomquist tangled at the Show Me one year. Mars came to a stop with major damage against the wall directly in front of us. Not sure if anything negative between them existed prior to that but guarantee you it did afterwards. Haven't seen Scott make many missteps but that one was on him. The only thing I recall that was more heated with Mars was between Jimmy and Don O’Neal at Knoxville, IA, that was a doozy. Always liked Mars. Not a bragger or showy but could get the job done when he was on his good run.
    I hate time trials.

What was with people pouring something in front of the scales so your tires would come back illegal? Lol

Great Interview

LOL. How anybody thinks you can hide AWD is effing amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    I wish someone would confirm or crush the idea of the 4wd race car.
    Maybe I took it wrong, but it sounded to me like Jimmy did in the interview. He said that Bill was questioning Chris (Jimmy's brother) about tearing cv joints up.

I've enjoyed all the Rigsby reports, but this one was the best so far, IMO.
    Last edited by ImCryn2; 09-25-2021 at 03:06 AM.

Huge Jimmy fan.....now even more! Excellent interview. "Just a farmer from Northern Wisconsin" - Love it!

Very much enjoyed the interview.

One little topic I wish would have just been touched on was the year that Jimmy ran the NASCAR ReMax series on asphalt. He won the Rookie of the Year title over Jamie McMurray and not a lot of folks know he came pretty close to landing a BGN ride that year. His car owner at the time kind of derailed the deal. The details of that would have made a good Q&A. That was back when actual talented drivers were still getting deserved rides in Trucks and BGN and not just very rich kids the size of a horse jockey.

That was the year I got to know Jimmy and Chris because I was a tech inspector in that series. It was because of getting to know those guys that I turned into a dirt late model fan and pretty much left asphalt racing interest behind when my time was up with Big N. They are great guys and always patient with me when I come around to pester them at a race.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

First Podcast that I have ever listened too, and boy was it a excellent one. I used to talk with Jimmy before the races in the pits at Cedar Lake when he was starting out as we were both around the same age. Have always been a fan but I sure hope he does not hang it up after next year because he will be missed especially around the Minnesota/Wisconsin area.