Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gilpin vs Owens

Watch again he slid up in front of Jimmy,he could have went around and not run in the back of him,

He slid up in front of Jimmy,and he did not have to run in the back of him,just turn under,and pass him back

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    The Kid may have learned a lesson...
    Sounds like he ran Thornton over in the heat race today too

Quote Originally Posted by T3GJason47 View Post
    I wish Gilpin would of flipped!
    What an idiotic thing to say.

He didn’t even give jimmy enough room to turn down. He parked it right on his nose.

Then you lift or wreck,Like Kyle said on a slider you are taking a chance ,and hope they back off or go around,and if they do the slider on you then you lift,go around,or wreck

Quote Originally Posted by drich24 View Post
    Jabber,

That ranks up there with the most preposterous statement of the year.

Owens is right up there with T Mac on racing people as clean as possible and giving people room to race.
    you are right , but like some one else said , the way these younger racers race these days , IDK if being nice wins races any more , but it dont matter , jimmy is having a sh!ty year and i guess his patients is running a little thin ......

☝☝ what Pennsboro32 said

Watching the replay of the Jackson 100, it was refreshing to see how clean those final 11 laps were between Jimmy and Devin. Clean side by side racing, each driver holding their own lines, and no nasty slide jobs. Devin tried one with a lap or two to go, but made sure he had plenty of room. Unlike the Gilpin slider across your nose.

What Pennsboro said.

Thumbs up Owens

Good, ya park it in front of him, run off the track, he really brakes to not run you over, then as you come back on you run into the side of him. Bravo Jimmy.

Bet Gilpin doesn’t try that on Jimmy again.

But sadly, it really is how a lot of them make passes now. So on one hand I don’t fault Gilpin, but man, time to regroup after ya screwed up like that. Not continue pi$$ing off Jimmy.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by james white View Post
    He slid up in front of Jimmy,and he did not have to run in the back of him,just turn under,and pass him back
    I don't think Owens had time to react... things happen so fast.

At a certain age you just get sick of the sh*t you are having to deal with...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

It was not the first time he has done that to Jimmy and he needed to learn that it wasn't appreciated. He will most likely race Jimmy differently from this point on.....Sometimes you have to help someone change their approach to the way they race you, my guess he knows the limit with Jimmy from now on.

These incidents seem to be a good thing for dirt late model racing. Who actually won the race is secondary to who turned who or who put who in the wall!!

Straight outa oakwood right there……..lmao.

But it’s true Cirf.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Drama keeps everyone excited, not just in late models... I can't remember who won the night Hewitt screamed at the flagman either....

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    Drama keeps everyone excited, not just in late models... I can't remember who won the night Hewitt screamed at the flagman either....
    I was at Mighty Macon that night, were you? IIRC Donnie Lehman won the A-main.

The difference is on track drama has a much lower probability of driver injury in the late model division as opposed to the division in which Jack was competing on the night he screamed at the flagman. I'm pretty sure the opportunity for bodily injury and his continued ability to earn money driving racecars was the major impetus for Jack's drama. Bent racecars and hurt feelings are one thing, broken bones and head injuries are altogether another.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I was at Mighty Macon that night, were you? IIRC Donnie Lehman won the A-main.The difference is on track drama has a much lower probability of driver injury in the late model division as opposed to the division in which Jack was competing on the night he screamed at the flagman. I'm pretty sure the opportunity for bodily injury and his continued ability to earn money driving racecars was the major impetus for Jack's drama. Bent racecars and hurt feelings are one thing, broken bones and head injuries are altogether another.
    I agree, my point is that usually the winner is not the most exciting thing of the night (for most people I would guess...not all). Sammy Swindell leading the Nationals and having a flat tire, Wolfgang running the alphabet, heck in my own career my favorite memories are charging from the back as far up as I could get....On the other notion, Late Models are a lot more forgiving and allow for more contact than open wheel; probably why some had better stick to the Late Models! As for Jimmy, he races clean and wants others to race him the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    I agree, my point is that usually the winner is not the most exciting thing of the night (for most people I would guess...not all). Sammy Swindell leading the Nationals and having a flat tire, Wolfgang running the alphabet, heck in my own career my favorite memories are charging from the back as far up as I could get....On the other notion, Late Models are a lot more forgiving and allow for more contact than open wheel; probably why some had better stick to the Late Models! As for Jimmy, he races clean and wants others to race him the same way.
    We agree on all counts, Evel. The only exception at this point in time is Kyle Larson. Bloomy used to command that kind of attention when he won, also. It seems when Larson wins on dirt anything that happened behind him is vastly overshadowed by his victory.

It seems Sammy transcends most everything else on the racetrack in every race he's in, even at his advanced age. The only time I get to see Sammy race throughout the year is at The Chili Bowl and it's clearly obvious there that he's the focal point in any race he competes in and 90% of all eyes are on him if he's running last, first or anywhere in between! He has provided drama for decades.
    Last edited by CIRF; 09-28-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    We agree on all counts, Evel. The only exception at this point in time is Kyle Larson. Bloomy used to command that kind of attention when he won, also. It seems when Larson wins on dirt anything that happened behind him is vastly overshadowed by his victory.It seems Sammy transcends most everything else on the racetrack in every race he's in, even at his advanced age. The only time I get to see Sammy race throughout the year is at The Chili Bowl and it's clearly obvious there that he's the focal point in any race he competes in and 90% of all eyes are on him if he's running last, first or anywhere in between! He has provided drama for decades.
    Funny thing, growing up I absolutely hated Sammy; always a Wolfgang fan. However, I found myself pulling for him from the mid 2000's on. I was at the last Chili Bowl Sammy won, and I guess he is the last of the 'big three' still racing..... And obviously Larson is the real deal, Rumley is probably the best in setup but he will tell you how amazing Kyle is at learning new things.