Thread: 21 15 and Zero

Default 21 15 and Zero

I’m older so my heyday was Moyer Bloomquist and Purvis. When you bought a ticket and you saw they were at the track, you knew you were going to get your moneys worth and then some. They were our Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, and Nolan Ryan. Yes there were other really good racers too, but this was the big three. To me anyway. 2 of them are out of racing , and Zero , well it’s most likely sort of over there too. Thanks for a lot of great times at the tracks I was able to watch y’all. I know Purvis hasn’t raced in decades, but he was my favorite so I had to mention him. You don’t know how good you have it with things until they are gone. Others will rise up and take their places, I just wanted to say thanks in case they actually read these posts on here.

I like this.. a old school thread. Back in the 80's.. the big 3.. coming in second in random order.. Donnie Moran, Freddie Smith, and Larry Moore. Eldora.. going to the world 100.. walking in the pits.. Old style camaro's ..hand lettered race cars with real sheet metal. Priceless...

KC oh so true. Between going to the world and Pennsboro it just didn't get any better than that. Most teams would roll out new cars for either one of those 2 events. It was a great time.

Jeff purvis was the better of the 3. I believe had he stayed in dirt he would be clearly recognized as the best.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy84 View Post
    Jeff purvis was the better of the 3. I believe had he stayed in dirt he would be clearly recognized as the best.
    I agree in 5 races at eldora he didn't finish worse than second twice an if he had listened to c.j. He would have won one of them the year randy Boggs won.

Purvis was my favorite as well. Who knows what he’d have accomplished if he stayed on dirt.

When the 15 pulled, the anxiety level around the pits went up a tad.

purvis was a wheel man. watched him quite a bit. hated when he quit dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy84 View Post
    I liked Purvis my self but he didn't stay in dirt so we will never know, what I do remember is Purvis leading the world 100 during Bloomers first trip to Eldora and watching Bloomer run him down and kick his azz !

Hard to say who was the Best of the Big 3. Jeff Purvis , The Golden Boy, good looks .. that white car,, Imperial Motors, the Blue # 15
    Bloomquist .. Voodoo Child.. Black Sunshine.. To some a driver you loved to hate.. maybe just maybe the best.

Billy Moyer.. Went everywhere.. won everywhere. Probably the only driver that could be in 2 states within 24 hours and take home the money.

I just like that there can be this debate and that there is no true right or wrong answer... Each guy did what worked beat for their own career. Purvis went the NASCAR route, Bloomquist chased the biggest money races all over the country and became a top notch touring series points racer, Moyer raced a schedule that limited expenses and allowed him to run his racing operation as a very successful business. All 3 are amazing and could win anywhere they unloaded.