Default Terre Haute Rumors

It's rumored that Bob Sargent and TEI is no longer promoting racing at Terre Haute Action Track.

Really hope it just a rumor because Sarge has done an exemplary job with track prep and race organization and has resisted the temptation of running 4 or 5 support classes with the USAC National Sprint Cars and USAC Silver Crown cars.

We've enjoyed some very, very good racing at Terre Haute over past decade or more and hopefully good racing will continue with Sarge running the shows!!

Anyone have any information regarding this rumor?

If you didn’t catch it, someone on the Flo broadcast Friday night implied the same. It was almost like they slipped up, then changed the subject.

Thanks for the insight from Flo Racing, lurker. We were at Terre Haute for the Hurtubise Classic and nothing was said over the PA regarding Track Enterprises no longer being the promoter. Everyone in our group is very sad if TEI no longer promotes THAT racing events.

Bob is out

Quote Originally Posted by golddirt View Post
    Bob is out
    Yep, it's official. Bob Sargent and TEI is out as the promoter's of Terre Haute Action Track. I really hope the Wabash Valley Fair Board isn't making a serious mistake. I love the Terre Haute Action Track and we'll continue to attend as many events there as possible but I think they've screwed the pooch by getting rid of Sarge and TEI. Sarge did an exemplary job with THAT.

Whoever takes over the racing promotional duties will have a tough act to follow. Bob Sargent's track prep was beyond reproach and his spectator attendance was very good. Sarge ran an efficient and timely show and was extremely fan friendly.

The tone of this article in the Terre Haute paper pretty much indicates that there is some bad blood between the fair board and Sarge. I really hope this wasn't a foolhardy move!!

https://www.tribstar.com/sports/spor..._medium=social

Sargent has long been one of the Midwest's premier promoters and I can't imagine where the Fair Board is going to find better. Sounds, as you said CIRF, like something fishy between the board and him...or maybe someone on the board has a relative that needs a job and always thought promoting would be a real fun job.

Note to relative: It's only fun when you really love it and when you're really good at it. Sargent is one of few who understands both points.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    Sargent has long been one of the Midwest's premier promoters and I can't imagine where the Fair Board is going to find better. Sounds, as you said CIRF, like something fishy between the board and him...or maybe someone on the board has a relative that needs a job and always thought promoting would be a real fun job.

Note to relative: It's only fun when you really love it and when you're really good at it. Sargent is one of few who understands both points.
    Very well said, over.

The tone of the article in the Terre Haute newspaper is the only premise I have for my inkling that some bad blood exists between Sarge and the fair board. Even someone as unconnected and unaware as I can see there is a serious conflict at hand. It seems race tracks on fairgrounds property have a very tough time with success. We've seen it at Farmer City, Pecotonica and Brownstown among some others I'm forgetting. What the dynamic is that causes this is well out of my realm of expertise but it seems to be very real and nearly universal at some point.

I really hope this fair board vs. race promoter BS doesn't poison the good thing that Kenny Dobson and the Morgan County fairgrounds have going. Jacksonville is one of the best run, best promoted tracks in the entire state of Illinois. It would be a shame if it ended up like THAT!

The thing is bob doesn’t have good people skills this isn’t the first time bob has ruffled feathers. Good promotor yes.

Just curious, golddirt. Do you know Sargent personally or professionally? I've had casual conversations with him on numerous occasions and he's been quite gracious and accommodating but have never really got a feeling one way or another as to his business demeanor. I'm confident that it's safe to assume that some individuals that comprise fair board's aren't the most savvy regarding their relationships with independent contractors that they are involved with.

Like you spoke occasionally and is like you say but I have talked to many that have worked for him that say his people skills are lacking

Quote Originally Posted by golddirt View Post
    Like you spoke occasionally and is like you say but I have talked to many that have worked for him that say his people skills are lacking
    I suppose as with all things in life, business and otherwise, there is a certain degree of ass-kissing that is required for some folks to be happy, and for some others no amount will be sufficient. I know this as a result of my career path from early adulthood. Ass-kissing may, or may not, be Sarge's strong suit. I have not ever, nor will I ever be 100% in ol' Sarge's corner but it can't be denied that he is one of the premier short track promoters in racing today. The person or person's being tabbed as race promoter at Terre Haute has a bar that has been set quite high. I sincerely hope they equal that bar and ideally raise the bar. Best of luck to them, following Sargent they're going to need it!

One thing is for sure, Sarge's people skills are far more palatable than the clowns at Fairbury that cancelled a race two weeks in advance due to rain (lie!) and hung Casey Shuman and the WAR series out to dry. No one from Fairbury even contacted Shuman who originally was informed of the cancellation via Facebook. Thankfully Kenny Dobson stepped up and did what was right!
    Last edited by CIRF; 10-09-2021 at 10:16 AM.