Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ump nationals need some changes

I wish they would bring the UMP Nationals Back to Eldora and run a 1 day show on Saturday Charge $20 for stands and $40 for pits and pay Super Lates 10,000 to win and 1,000 to start and run Modifieds and pay 5,000 to win 500 to start and get it back to 50 or so Super Lates and 100 Modifieds. Maybe start at 5p.m. with hotlaps and qualifing and start heats at 7p.m.

I think there are a ton of holes that can be poked in everything UMP does with the late models and modifieds. Most of it can be laid at the fact that their parent organization only cares about the sprint car series.

I think that with really only local cars showing up thats sad. I remember when it was no entry fees and the Super Late purse was double what it is now. They would have 65 to 80 Super Lates and 150 to 180 modifieds and it was big. They had states and chassis races. I mean it was a big deal a 2 day ticket was $20 and a 2 day pit pass was $40. Saturday was hotlaps and qualifing and heats and Sunday at 1p.m. was States and Chassis races then consis and features.

Quote Originally Posted by latemodelman View Post
    I wish they would bring the UMP Nationals Back to Eldora and run a 1 day show on Saturday Charge $20 for stands and $40 for pits and pay Super Lates 10,000 to win and 1,000 to start and run Modifieds and pay 5,000 to win 500 to start and get it back to 50 or so Super Lates and 100 Modifieds. Maybe start at 5p.m. with hotlaps and qualifing and start heats at 7p.m.
    All that for $20?? Good luck!

I still have my ticket stubs from every UMP Nationals at Eldora from 2002 til 2012. It was $20 for a 2 day race and it was 10,000 to win for super lates and 500 to start and 3,000 to win for mods and 300 to start with tow money of 100 bucks for every class and no entry fees. Then they cut the Super late model purses and thats when things went downhill and racing mods for 3 days. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Thumbs up

Like I said on the thread about the event. The event it's self is a joke of it's former self. It could be a whole lot better then it is. There is no incentive for a driver to run that race. Run Late Models and Modifieds and let other tracks run a nationals type event for the other UMP divisions. It can be done just needs a track with space in the pit area and a promoter. Make it the absolute last UMP race of the year and the only event that weekend paying UMP Points. Not trying to dog the track just the event.
    Last edited by HoosierDirtFan; 10-03-2021 at 04:13 PM.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

it used to be that this was the only UMP event of the weekend and the last points paying race. I mean you would see guys from 20 states there. That was when it was a Saturday and Sunday race. Also you did not have the Lucas Oil and WOO competing against them and it was always around 200 to 260 cars in 2 classes there. When it moved I think it lost its luster and the purses being cut did not help.

In looking over the results it looked more like a weekly show. The USRA Nationals at Wheatland this coming weekend had over 300 cars registered a week or two ago.

I went the last 3 years it was held at Eldora. Bad weather and poor attendance.

I am fine with the venue but change the name unless WRG is going to restore this event to its previous luster. In its current format its nothing more than a money grab.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dmr37 View Post
    I went the last 3 years it was held at Eldora. Bad weather and poor attendance.
    That's because 1/2 the fans where in the pits. I've been too all of the fall Nationals since 2002. If you put the event at another track like Florence, Brownstown, Fairbury, or some other track with a large pit area the amount of people that show will pack the grandstands. Show needs to be late models and modifieds only and let other tracks have a season ending UMP points event for the other divisions.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Poor attendance at Eldora packs most tracks. Also if recall race dropped to $5k to win for late models killing attendance. Mods were typically worth their price of admission

dont know why they dont make it more of a "big deal". They have a great opportunity and theyre missing the boat

How many racers actually chase UMP points, especially racers outside of Illinois? I think that is a factor that has led to the diminished interest in the fall nationals. It was a big accomplishment to be a state or regional champion in the 90s and early 2000s. National champion was a career milestone that usually required traveling away from your local track to hit some races with a bigger field of competitors, and that usually included the fall nationals. Now, it just doesn’t seem that way anymore.

The reduction in payout for the late models certainly hurt when the fall nationals was still at Eldora. I don’t think any other track would attract as many cars as Eldora. The Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan teams would go to Eldora and a bunch from Illinois would travel to race the fall nationals there. Not many from those same states will go to Illinois to race at an event that is considered little more than a local show. Fairbury might be able to draw more cars, but still not at the level of Eldora.

Also consider how much UMP/Dirtcar have diluted the late model and modified divisions with the addition of pro/crate late models and pro/sport modifieds at many tracks in the midwest and south. Dirtcar and WRG have also greatly promoted the World Finals at Charlotte as their premier fall event. They’ve added the world short track championship the weekend before the world finals, which to me is their replacement for the fall nationals. All the “lower” divisions are part of that event which probably draws as many cars or more than the old fall nationals at Eldora.

Its just a shame what has happened. I remember the heat races for the modifieds. 8 heats 20 cars in a heat fast 6 inverted and top 2 to A-main everyone else to a consi where only the winner went to the A-Main. Also 6 heats for the Late models and 3 consis and let me tell ya it was wild racing.

The points system being overhauled (2005 or 2006-ish IIRC) diminished the event as far as points were concerned. It also had the unintended consequence of making it harder for a truly small budget, weekly racer to win the points championship. Times change and I understand that, but I am really sad about what has become of both the event and UMP in general.

UMP is not just Late Models and Modifieds so, why shouldn't other classes be at this same venue. Yes things have changed and it has lost it's luster. The money is just not there to give some an incentive to go to this event. I mean it's in the middle of the country and plenty of ump members to draw from. You have o make it an incentivize through the points and or more money.

kid , you forget 2/3rds of 4m hate the lower classes and think late model,s are all there is worth watching , when in fact with the outrageous cost to run a late model , the lower classes is all thats left to possibly save the sport of dirt track racing , if you look at car counts in every class at every track the last few years , late model counts have dropped dramatically at local saturday night tracks , while lower class participation has increased a lot ....JMO.....

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    kid , you forget 2/3rds of 4m hate the lower classes and think late model,s are all there is worth watching , when in fact with the outrageous cost to run a late model , the lower classes is all thats left to possibly save the sport of dirt track racing , if you look at car counts in every class at every track the last few years , late model counts have dropped dramatically at local saturday night tracks , while lower class participation has increased a lot ....JMO.....
    Everything you have said here is true. It still doesn't change the fact that after following late models your whole life, I have no desire to pay $$to watch lil Jimmy drive his $100 hornet around in circles
    8/13/16

The fall nationals at Eldora was my favorite event of the year. It could be made to work again.
    I think a two day show, Friday and Saturday. Two classes only, super lates and mods.
    Friday night every car runs a feature. Late models $3k to win/$300 to start each feature. Mods $1500 to win $150 to start each feature. Do a points deal like the Dream/World for lineup on Saturday.
    Saturday run one feature for each class. Late Models $10k to win $500 to start. Mods $5k to win $300 to start.
    Then the key is to make the Fall Nationals matter for ump national points. Either pay double points or make it count for points despite the race limit, or something.