Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lucky Dog rule origin

From Wiki. The beneficiary rule, commonly referred to as the "lucky dog" or "free pass", is a rule in some motor racing leagues allowing the closest lapped driver to the front of the field to gain back a lap when a caution is called. The driver is called to move to the end of the longest line of the cars at the end of that caution period. This rule was instituted to prevent drivers from racing back to the start/finish line when a caution was called.Before the rule was installed, drivers would "race back to the caution"; however, there was a gentlemen's agreement not to race, but to slow down and not pass, to allow slower cars to get their laps back. During a September 14, 2003, Sylvania 300 at New Hampshire International Speedway, Casey Mears came close to contacting the stalled car of Dale Jarrett while racing back to the line during a caution caused by Jarrett's crash. NASCAR chose to abandon the practice and stop racing immediately in the wake of the incident. The rule was created as a way of continuing the practice of yielding to the slower cars without sacrificing safety.If this is the nature of the rule, how does it pertain to dirt track racing?

The rule was put into place for safety reasons to keep lapped cars from racing to the caution. As far as I know, EVERYONE has to slow when a yellow drops and there is no racing to the line in DLM racing.

From Lucas Oil rulebook. 5.12.3.1 Lucky Dog AwardA.) In only the feature event, at each caution flag one car will be given back a lap to the field.i.) The Lucky Dog Award will be given until ten (10) or less laps laps remaining of any A-Mainevent that is fifty (50) laps or more in total distance.ii.) The Lucky Dog Award will be given until five (5) or less remaining laps of any A-Main eventthat is less than fifty (50) laps in total distance.iii.) The highest running lapped car that is not involved in the caution period will be given one lap.In order to receive the lucky dog award the driver and race car must remain on the track. Driversand race cars must not pit under the yellow to be eligible. The lucky dog race car may pit duringthe next yellow after the race has attempted to restart.iv.) A car will only receive a maximum of one lap per race. In the event that the highest runninglapped car has already received the credit the next highest running lapped car that is notinvolved in the caution will receive the credited lap

The lucky dog race car may pit during the next yellow after the race has attempted to restart. RIGHT HERE THERE SHOULD BE A RULE CHANGE. There's no penalty for bringing the caution out YOURSELF and pitting and there (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) well should be.

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    The lucky dog race car may pit during the next yellow after the race has attempted to restart. RIGHT HERE THERE SHOULD BE A RULE CHANGE. There's no penalty for bringing the caution out YOURSELF and pitting and there (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) well should be.
    The highest running lapped car that is not involved in the caution period will be given one lap.

If you cause or are involved in the caution, then you can't get the lucky dog^

Rule has been in place for years. Not sure why it's such a big deal all a sudden.

Wrong guy win???
    8/13/16

^^^ Just the opposite HH25. The right guy won. Some people don't like it...

rule has been in place for decades.

Everyone is but hurt because EPJ didn't win. Hudson took advantage of the rules. I give Hudson credit, he had them adjust the front shocks and he was stuck to the bottom of the track. He makes the wrong call there and this subject would never have come up. Sure I wanted to see EPJ park it in the winner's circle also but he made his point. Black Diamond's are garbage. He will be back were he belongs, running up front for wins, great run epj.

IMO, the lucky dog has no place in any form of racing, especially in dirt racing. The original intent of the "Aaron's Lucky Dog" was to prevent racing back to the line when there was a caution, but as with everything NASCAR, it was perverted to get more cars on the lead lap in boring races....usually when less than 20 cars were on the lead lap. Danica was the Queen of the Lucky Dog.

I don't see the reason for it in any form of racing. When the yellow comes out, you slow and hold your position. If you can't earn your spot on the track, you shouldn't get a lap back. I was pretty sure there was a rule in Lucas put in a place a few years ago that prevented drivers from deliberately bringing out a caution. I guess I was wrong on that.

It would have been nice if EPJ could have won, but Hud did what he could to win. No big deal. But as far as the "Lucky Dog" goes....it's a BS rule. It's also BS that a driver can create a caution for no safety related reason and not lose a lap. But that is the rule right now, so oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake X3 View Post
    IMO, the lucky dog has no place in any form of racing, especially in dirt racing. The original intent of the "Aaron's Lucky Dog" was to prevent racing back to the line when there was a caution, but as with everything NASCAR, it was perverted to get more cars on the lead lap in boring races....usually when less than 20 cars were on the lead lap. Danica was the Queen of the Lucky Dog.

I don't see the reason for it in any form of racing. When the yellow comes out, you slow and hold your position. If you can't earn your spot on the track, you shouldn't get a lap back. I was pretty sure there was a rule in Lucas put in a place a few years ago that prevented drivers from deliberately bringing out a caution. I guess I was wrong on that.

It would have been nice if EPJ could have won, but Hud did what he could to win. No big deal. But as far as the "Lucky Dog" goes....it's a BS rule. It's also BS that a driver can create a caution for no safety related reason and not lose a lap. But that is the rule right now, so oh well.
    It was a solution to a problem in NASCAR, at least initially. In dirt racing, it was a pointless copy cat move. I didn't understand it when it happened, most haven't cared until now.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

There are some dumb rules in racing. This one has always made me shake my head. Another is how you are allowed to drive into the back of a car and spin them out, cause a caution and you keep your spot and the car that spun out ( because someone drove into the back of them) goes to the tail. It happens all of the time with multiple different drivers and both of these rules are just pure poppycok

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Rule has been in place for years. Not sure why it's such a big deal all a sudden.

Wrong guy win???
    This is true. But is Hudson the first driver to actually win after getting the lucky dog?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It was a solution to a problem in NASCAR, at least initially. In dirt racing, it was a pointless copy cat move. I didn't understand it when it happened, most haven't cared until now.
    Here's the problem -

I am in 12th and you are in 13th three car lengths behind me. Leader laps you and the caution comes out. Without the lucky dog you are still 1 lap down. So on the restart you pass me, but you really didn't because you are still a lap down even though you are in front of me on the track. You then pass a few other cars. After the race you pull in and think you have a top 10 finish but you are still scored in 13th.

Lucky dog fixes that.

Without it once you get lapped you might as well pull in because you aren't gaining anymore positions unless you pass another lapped car.

Quote Originally Posted by waaac77 View Post
    There are some dumb rules in racing. This one has always made me shake my head. Another is how you are allowed to drive into the back of a car and spin them out, cause a caution and you keep your spot and the car that spun out ( because someone drove into the back of them) goes to the tail. It happens all of the time with multiple different drivers and both of these rules are just pure poppycok
    Biggest reason that they do not call drivers for spinning other drivers is in most cases can be a judgement call (did the guy let out early?). I agree, when you see someone who drives in over their head and wrecks someone something should be done. The drivers will police this in most cases (Jimmy Owens sure took care of one case a few weeks ago, Jack Hewitt was known to get people's attention as well)....

If the rule is, "First car a lap down gets a LD", why did they wave around every car that was one lap down at the halfway point?

The guy that finished second isn’t cryin about it……….Next subject please.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    Here's the problem -I am in 12th and you are in 13th three car lengths behind me. Leader laps you and the caution comes out. Without the lucky dog you are still 1 lap down. So on the restart you pass me, but you really didn't because you are still a lap down even though you are in front of me on the track. You then pass a few other cars. After the race you pull in and think you have a top 10 finish but you are still scored in 13th.Lucky dog fixes that.Without it once you get lapped you might as well pull in because you aren't gaining anymore positions unless you pass another lapped car.
    No, it doesn't fix that because the guy in 14th still passes the car in 13th but really didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    The only reason I care is the winner of a 100 lap race only completed 99 laps.

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    The only reason I care is the winner of a 100 lap race only completed 99 laps.
    I never really thought about it that way, but technically you’re correct.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????