Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

When I started my traditional hot rod show here in Wisconsin all I heard was I couldnt schedule against Bonneville Speed Week or Sturgis. I guess the 28,000 people that showed up didnt get the memo.

Running a DLM race 800 miles apart isnt an issue.

There are only so many weekends each year. As long as the fans are entertained thats all we can hope for.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    When I started my traditional hot rod show here in Wisconsin all I heard was I couldnt schedule against Bonneville Speed Week or Sturgis. I guess the 28,000 people that showed up didnt get the memo.

Running a DLM race 800 miles apart isnt an issue.

There are only so many weekends each year. As long as the fans are entertained thats all we can hope for.
    That's great, however, nobody is comparing fan count. Apples to oranges my friend.

My entire argument has been about the future outlook of the sport more so than even Belleville vs Eldora.
    Last edited by Pennsboro32; 10-07-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    The car counts were down at Eldora because some teams did not want to be there for 4 days. Add in the tire problems, etc and you have what you have. Next season, I'd imagine it'll go back to 3 days and the car count to what it was two years ago.

The XR event isn't going to pull more than 3-4 cars away from Eldora. That event will be made up of Kansas/Missouri/Oklahoma/Nebraska drivers that weren't going to Eldora in the first place. There's your debate.
    Everyone actually had the option to run 2 days, however. That's actually more doable than 3. The tire situation may have scared some away, but I feel the setup was actually easier.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing

That's great, however, nobody is comparing fan count. Apples to oranges my friend.

My entire argument has been about the future outlook of the sport more so than even Belleville vs Eldora.
    The more we fractionalize it, spread around the influence of various decision makers, the better off we will be.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Everyone actually had the option to run 2 days, however. That's actually more doable than 3. The tire situation may have scared some away, but I feel the setup was actually easier.
    I think a handful of teams did go the last two days. Maybe more teams should have done that. I just know that there were two race programs that live within 30 min of me that didn't go because they couldn't get enough help to be there for four days or felt that 4 days was too much, and one of them that I sponsor had tire concerns.

I think a handful of teams did go the last two days. Maybe more teams should have done that. I just know that there were two race programs that live within 30 min of me that didn't go because they couldn't get enough help to be there for four days or felt that 4 days was too much, and one of them that I sponsor had tire concerns.
    I believe that. I think more people should have thought outside the box a little and recognized them as separate events. I think the 3 day deal has pushed a few out and I thought this was a chance to get a few back in, if they approached it that way.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing

Here is a video of LM racing at Belleville.

https://youtu.be/XSygL4LzgOo

Faster and larger than Eldora. Not nearly as slick and dusty also.
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 10-07-2021 at 02:14 PM.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

The more we fractionalize it, spread around the influence of various decision makers, the better off we will be.
    I'm not sure I agree... Where does this stop? Each track and series having it's own distinct set of body, engine, and tire rules to the point where they aren't even close to each other would be a major problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Action10 View Post
    I'm not sure I agree... Where does this stop? Each track and series having it's own distinct set of body, engine, and tire rules to the point where they aren't even close to each other would be a major problem.
    Agree, there aren't enough supers in the country to start dividing them up with rule changes, 3 National series, etc. It could have gotten bad in 2004, but there were enough cars back then to make it through. in 2021, I'm not so sure. Has NDRL written all over it to me.

We are headed down a horrible path now. We need a group to have the freedom to fix things and for others to see they are right.

When the wedges were killed, we had wedge and non wedge for a time. Then people were able to see the light.

The fixation on having a big series to cater to 15 guys is a huge detriment to the sport as a whole. Those people are gonna race regardless of the hand holding they receive.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 10-07-2021 at 03:33 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing

Agree, there aren't enough supers in the country to start dividing them up with rule changes, 3 National series, etc. It could have gotten bad in 2004, but there were enough cars back then to make it through. in 2021, I'm not so sure. Has NDRL written all over it to me.
    The long slow path to ruin is no plan for the future. A forest fire is needed every now and then to allow new trees to take root.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing

It's a problem that I had to gut and rebuild a perfectly good race car because Ken Kenneda, Jason Durham, and Steve Francis didn't want to send one of their guys home at any point in 2010 thru present time.

I'm running local and regional stuff. Why should their lack of enforcement force me to race a maximum down force wedge car? Why should I have suspension parts obsoleted because they fear Rumley? It makes no sense.

That's essentially the same thing as different rules at different places. Your car is right, then it isn't competitive the next month.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 10-07-2021 at 03:45 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing

We are headed down a horrible path now. We need a group to have the freedom to fix things and for others to see they are right.When the wedges were killed, we had wedge and non wedge for a time. Then people were able to see the light.The fixation on having a big series to cater to 15 guys is a huge detriment to the sport as a whole. Those people are gonna race regardless of the hand holding they receive.
    The long slow path to ruin is no plan for the future. A forest fire is needed every now and then to allow new trees to take root.
    Not saying you are wrong about changes being needed in the sport. Just noting that splintering the sport is not the best way to do it IMO... The complete dismantling of dlm racing is not a good idea at this point either because I don't think it would come back. A fraction of the total racing fans would be upset about it, but then life would go on without it. Maybe another class gets bigger and fills a part of the void, but I can't imagine a situation where a tour is racing street stocks for $12,000 to win every week.

The sport is already too far gone.

Guy is an idiot, yeah I’ll say it.

Eldora was really good on Saturday of the World 100. Guys are just so equal. Cushion, moisture, etc.

I don’t think it’s a terrible idea IF you do what Flo is doing and schedule them NOT against bigger races.

It will flop, the names will be at Eldora.

I wouldn’t bash Belleville, I know it’s a good joint. Just as I still see Eldora as a great place. But good fukin luck.

If I was Tony, $300k to win, $10k to start, F off.

Pretty sure Marcus Smith is behind this. He can buy Tony out with his petty cash!

He was pretty elated on Dale Jrs show about Bristols first go at dirt!

It only makes sense to me that SMI is behind this whole deal somehow.

I'm not saying putting these big money headlines out there isn't good, but I feel like no one sees the nickel and diming that goes on behind the scenes at the XR events. Pass prices. Fees for this. Fees for that. The list of "You Can't"s. & I'm not saying Eldora doesnt have its quirks and do the same, but it's at least only twice a year and more reasonable.

Maybe I am in the minority here but this is what is great about capitalism. Anyone at anytime can do what they want, let the fans and drivers decide if it flops or not. Also lets be honest, there are very little openings for weekends in the dirt late model world. Every race thinks no one should step on their toes, well you won't make it anywhere in this world without stepping on some toes every now and then. Lets see if Eldora fights back which it looks like they may. For the record I will be at Eldora just like every year.

Whether or not Eldora pays $54k, $125k, $1 million or $1 billion. The same 6-8 cars/drivers still have the best shot of winning.
    2021 race count
    6 events

World Of Outlaws late models ran Belleville a couple of times as recall, maybe 2008 or so. Don’t recall it racing that well, could be wrong.
    I hate time trials.