Thumbs up Thoughts on this.

For me being the race fan that I am.
    The more I watch the DirtVision broadcast and see pictures on Facebook and other media outlets from Super Dirt Week at Oswego Speedway in New York the more I wish there was an event like the here in the midwest.
    It just seems like a good time with all that is involved from the race car parade in downtown Oswego, to the number of cars that make the trek to the track to compete, souvenir midway, people camping, ect...
    What ever they do there to make that event work rather it was at the old Moody Mile in Syracuse or Oswego just seems like this event has just about every thing a fan or race team could ask for in a major event.
    I don't know much about racing in the Northeast but I've always heard the cars aren't as fast as they should be for the amount of money spent on the Big Block Modifieds.
    My thoughts on that are fast cars doesn't always equal good racing.
    To hold an event of that size the folks that live in that area must be supportive of it which you don't see at a lot of race tracks.
    Now Oswego being an asphalt track covered in clay is ok, but are there any other tracks in the northeast that could hold an event of that size.
    There was talk after the Moody Mile was closed the the state of New York was going to help build a new facility and nothing never came of that except a press release with details of the new track.
    What about the rehabbing the abandon Rolling Wheels Raceway Park or taking the event to another large facility.
    The event kind of reminds me of the IMCA Super Nationals at Boone.

Just my thoughts.

AREIAL VIEW FROM October 7th.

Last edited by HoosierDirtFan; 10-09-2021 at 10:44 AM.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Big block mods are 2500# and have so much rear downforce that it almost creates drag. That’s why they’re considered “slow”.

As far as SDW. I miss Syracuse. I think anybody who has any passing interest in big blocks misses it. Sure, it was insane and required special cars, motors and bodies, but it was definitely something special. Once it moved to Oswego it changed. Sure, it’s still the biggest modified event of em all, but it’s not nearly as special as it once was.

There is no other facility in NY that could handle SDW. Not dirt, not asphalt. Rolling Wheels of dead and gone, and if we’re being honest, it wasn’t big enough to handle SDW either. Weedsport is real nice, but there isn’t nearly enough room to pit even half of the cars that show up to SDW.

In reality, there really isn’t any facility that could handle it in PA either. Port Royal is amazing, yes, but there isn’t enough space to put all those cars and there isn’t enough hotel rooms in the area, either. Logistically, if PPMS wasn’t a such a sh*thole it could handle the race, but it would need an extreme renovation.

Eldora would be absolutely perfect and has a promoter who actually cares about big block modifieds abd was in charge of SDW when it was still at the mile. The one major issue: its 8-12 hours away from the overwhelming majority of SDW’s racer and fanbase.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I started going to these races in late 70's to 94 and grew up 30 miles east of Syracuse watching bb mods. There was nothing better than going to sdw. We would go to adjoining races at rolling wheels, weed sport & brewerton. Great memories! Then I moved south and went thru withdrawal and started to adapt to the late models. SDW is our Superbowl of racing. It was sad to see sdw pulled out of syr because of the deal that went bad w the gov of NYS. Idk the whole deal but at some point they were to move up to Phoenix or central square area w the new motorplex to b built. Somebody w more knowledge on this could explain better. They started to build the new home then $ stopped and work stopped. I don't understand how they can cost effectively put dirt down at Oswego. But who knows. In this era I remember at 1 time nazerath speedway in pa tryed to run against sdw to draw cars as some couldn't run syr due to it being to costly or they didn't like the moody mile. This is why I like Charlotte cuz it brings me close to coming home when there running.
    Last edited by T-MAC 39 FAN; 10-09-2021 at 12:49 PM.

Agree HDF, car speed is secondary to the quality of racing for me. One would think that UMP could put together a year end event that would be fantastic. Lucas Oil Speedway at Wheatland has a USRA year end event this weekend, 325 + cars in five classes. These aren’t national teams for the most part although there are a few USMTS cars there. It’s mostly weekly competitors. May be the best, most entertaining, racing I’ve seen this year including super late model shows.
    I hate time trials.

Bayko, I would have liked to see them move it to bridgeport. 5/8 big track, plenty of hotels. Just not sure if they could accommodate the car count.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Bayko, I would have liked to see them move it to bridgeport. 5/8 big track, plenty of hotels. Just not sure if they could accommodate the car count.
    Bridgeport is no longer 5/8. It’s now basically a Lawrenceburg clone. So now, they probably could accommodate the cars, but seating might be an issue.

Bucket list race for me to someday see Super Dirt Week in person.

The thing about the big block style mods is, they may not be as fast as a current dirt late model, but they are tough race cars. I'm impressed when I watch their races on Flo and other sources. Those cars can put on some good races and not always on perfectly smooth tracks. Their design allows them to take abuse a DLM would not hold up to.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

Race Line-Up for the Super DirtCar Series Billy Whittaker Cars 200 at Oswego

Nathan Stephens

Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

The track surface was a joke for salute to troops 150. Asphalt was showing up in places. Rough as chit. I don't expect todays 200 to be any different. Really a shame they couldn't go thru w original plan instead of bringing this back every yr.

Friesen will be your winner if he doesn't break.

Quote Originally Posted by T-MAC 39 FAN View Post
    The track surface was a joke for salute to troops 150. Asphalt was showing up in places. Rough as chit. I don't expect todays 200 to be any different. Really a shame they couldn't go thru w original plan instead of bringing this back every yr.
    Glenn’s track behind Brewerton was never going up happen. Anybody who thought it was is an idiot.

Default Josh

I wasn't there when all this was going on. I'm just on the outside looking in.

Well I watched some of this today. WTF, I don't for one minute believe that track is not going to come apart.

The pro stock race the track was rolling up so bad in the corners it was part of the reason one guy got upside down. I was holding my breath for that guy as fuel was pouring out and the a holes on the radios had the safety truck drive to a blocked track.

They can't keep covering that place with dirt and expect to have a good track. Today's example proved they have issues that need addressed before someone gets seriously hurt

Congrats to the #88 buzz chew team. Tough breaks at the end for a couple teams but Williamson was right there. Repeat winner!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Well I watched some of this today. WTF, I don't for one minute believe that track is not going to come apart.

The pro stock race the track was rolling up so bad in the corners it was part of the reason one guy got upside down. I was holding my breath for that guy as fuel was pouring out and the a holes on the radios had the safety truck drive to a blocked track.

They can't keep covering that place with dirt and expect to have a good track. Today's example proved they have issues that need addressed before someone gets seriously hurt

They use same dirt each yr I believe. They pile it outside someplace. Now they may mix new dirt in w it but idk.

https://youtu.be/DK9TEQD1CDQ
    Mandee pauch videos of the weekend.

From the Vic Coffey Fan Page on Facebook.

Kyle Coffey has made the decision with his team to not race on this track, and will be credited with 41st position. We are sorry to all our fans and followers, but for the sake and safety of our driver, we make this choice.
    Nathan Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by T-MAC 39 FAN View Post
    Holy crap. That looked like some concession road that had been patched over for 40 years.

I watched the "highlight" videos and now have taken this off my bucket list of races.

Those poor race teams, those poor fans in attendance. That was horrible!

One refused to start and about a half dozen pulled off in the first couple laps. Fans hid under the grandstands to watch on close circuit TVs because of all the rocks and clumps getting up into the stands along with all the dust. Unreal that they pass that off as the premier event of the year.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.