Default No Love For Butterball

Normally I come home a few hours after a race and find at least a couple comments on here about it. This is a 20k race that nobody even mentions. Fewer fans this year than last and fewer than the WOO 10k show they had this summer. Supers seemed to be fewer this year. They had rain all week so the track was as good as Ive seen in a while and the racing was decent. Congrats to Dohm! Anyways, whats going on with the low interest?
    Last edited by denopolis23; 10-10-2021 at 12:38 AM.

What is a Butterball ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Runner View Post
    What is a Butterball ?

a darn good turkey

Default Correct sir

What is a Butterball ?
    A Butterball is a fine turkey! Its also a really good paying memorial race for Paul "Butterball" Woolridge held at Richmond Raceway. Had to be one of the bigger paying races in the country last night. Just seemed like a weak showing for cars and fans both. I had fun, took a friend who was a first timer and he loved it. Got to see a driver win that Ive wanted to see win for years. So it was a good night

Pole sitter spins on the first lap. Car behind him leads every lap after that and wins. Not much to "talk" about.
    2021 race count
    6 events

I'm probably in the minority on this forum in that I'm old enough to remember seeing Butterball race back in the day. Back then, at least around this area when the red #59 pulled into the track, it was similar to seeing Bloomquist showing up. There was no social media to notify ahead of time, so if Butterball was there it felt like a bonus. I tagged along with my Dad and couple friends to dirt races all over KY and TN back in the early 70's, and I can clearly remember watching Butterball win the feature at Campbellsville and driving straight off the track to his truck, loading it up as fast as they could and we ran to our car to see where they were going. They drove their hauler to the (then) track in Russell Springs (which was notoriously late running) 40 minutes away, unloaded it in time to make the feature and start from the tail...and proceeded to win the feature there. Two feature wins at two separate tracks in one night...true story. So I have total respect for the Butterball legend, but with that being said I've been to Richmond about 3 times over the years, and each time I leave mad at myself for trying it again. The last time I went was about 5 years ago for the Butterball after a 10 year hiatus (and I said at that time I'd never be back), and I left less than halfway into the race, the only time I can remember ever doing that. It's not just the track and poor racing, it was the entire Richmond experience for me. Others may enjoy the track and I respect their opinion, but there's no purse money amount that will ever get me back to Richmond, and judging by your original post, I suspect many other people feel that way. As I said, this is just my opinion (because I lived it) and others may disagree and that's their right (that's what forums are for, peoples input and opinions), but I'm simply trying to shed light on your question about low interest.

Finnfan, I have grown up with Richmond as my home track and it definitely has its moments of boring racing and has its moments of crazy good racing, as well. I'm just curious what your entire Richmond experience was that made you not want to come back. I have my own thoughts on what the facility and the track needs but I'm curious to hear other perspectives.

What is a Butterball ?
    Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    a darn good turkey
    😁😆🤣😂🙃😂🤣😆😁😄😅🤣😂
    8/13/16

Probably same reasons for Florence issues this year, too many tracks, not enough late models to go around, and competing series splitting the cars in the local area (with increased money).

As far as the fan count, could be anything. Me personally, I was considering, but I'm not really a fan of the format (running the LM heats on Friday). I mainly go for the late models and didn't want to travel twice to the track to see the full LM show, and pay twice. They should only run late model and modified classes, and all on Saturday.

I've seen good and bad races at Richmond. Last year Butterball was ok. My opinion, they try to run too many classes on these bigger shows and the track just don't hold up and causes the shows to go too long, up against their curfew.

I also think all the televised (Flo, Mav) races are hurting everybody, just sit home and watch all the dirt racing you want.

The track is too narrow and almost always bottom dominant. Much like Lake Cumberland, fix the layout and the racing would improve. Improve the racing and more cars would show up.
    We'll miss ya Doc Watson...

Quote Originally Posted by denopolis23 View Post
    Normally I come home a few hours after a race and find at least a couple comments on here about it. This is a 20k race that nobody even mentions. Fewer fans this year than last and fewer than the WOO 10k show they had this summer. Supers seemed to be fewer this year. They had rain all week so the track was as good as Ive seen in a while and the racing was decent. Congrats to Dohm! Anyways, whats going on with the low interest?
    Just another DLM race in a weekend full of them. it was 20k to win, but what did 2nd pay?
    You had 15K at WVMS, 15k at Fairbury, 15k at Dixie (that used to mean something).

20k to win races used to be a big thing but now in the era of $60k wide bores and $50k rollers its just another race sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    Just another DLM race in a weekend full of them. it was 20k to win, but what did 2nd pay? You had 15K at WVMS, 15k at Fairbury, 15k at Dixie (that used to mean something). 20k to win races used to be a big thing but now in the era of $60k wide bores and $50k rollers its just another race sadly.
    2nd paid 10k

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    Just another DLM race in a weekend full of them. it was 20k to win, but what did 2nd pay?
    You had 15K at WVMS, 15k at Fairbury, 15k at Dixie (that used to mean something).

20k to win races used to be a big thing but now in the era of $60k wide bores and $50k rollers its just another race sadly.
    It was the highest paying race of the weekend, but didn’t involve a Bloomer, Bobby, Overton, or Sheppard hot take so it doesn’t matter on this board

I did see it paid $1,059 to win a heat race. I couldn't find an advertised full payout break down
    Last edited by NeedforLM$peed; 10-11-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    2021 race count
    6 events

I live in Richmond and would love to be able to defend this track, but I can’t. They simply do not know how to run a big show. Track is not awesome, but I’ve seen awesome racing on it. They don’t know how to cater to the die hard late model fans that travel far distances to see they’d shows. It’s usually ran off like a normal weekly show, with to many classes and a slow program. I was there Saturday, and it was not a horrible show, but my expectations was not high for the event. Hopefully in the future things turn around, and it will be a great spot for LM fans to travel to.